CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

License Plate Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
License Plate Lights

The left license plate light will no longer accept LED lights. I had them installed with no problem for 4-5 months. All of a sudden, it stopped working. I swapped the bulbs from the other side that was working, and the bulb worked fine in there, but on the same left side, the bulb from the other side would flicker when installed in the left license plate light. It's just so weird that one side would accept all the bulbs, and the other would make all of them flicker. Any ideas?

I don't know why this irritates me so much. By the way, they all were bulbs with the built-in resistors.

Last edited by astropat; 05-06-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Maybe there is something wrong with the clips that make contact with the bulb. It would bug the S*!t out of me also, your not alone!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM

2006 CLK 350
I had an issue with my led license plate lights a few months ago. I would get the error message that my right license plate light was out after a few minutes of driving. When I checked, it was flickering. After the car sat for a while and I turned the lights back on the message went away. Just after the lights warmed up I would get the same problem. I replaced it and the problem went away. A few weeks later my left one did the same thing. I noticed they get pretty hot, probably with the resistor. I’m not sure if that caused any damage. I replaced the left one as well. I haven’t had any problem since. Does the light flicker right away or after its warmed up? Did you have a regular bulb to put in there to see if that works ok?

Last edited by SteveB4; 05-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by SteveB4
I had an issue with my led license plate lights a few months ago. I would get the error message that my right license plate light was out after a few minutes of driving. When I checked, it was flickering. After the car sat for a while and I turned the lights back on the message went away. Just after the lights warmed up I would get the same problem. I replaced it and the problem went away. A few weeks later my left one did the same thing. I noticed they get pretty hot, probably with the resistor. I’m not sure if that caused any damage. I replaced the left one as well. I haven’t had any problem since. Does the light flicker right away or after its warmed up? Did you have a regular bulb to put in there to see if that works ok?
+1. I had this issue twice already and I just replaced the LED again, no problems after (well, until the next LED goes out ). Now I alway keep an extra set of LEDs for quick replacement.......
Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM

CLK 320
I bought another set of replacements and they flickered on that same side. I put in the stock bulb and they work fine. I might try to replace the whole lamp on that side.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
not sure what your problem is but I did customed the resistors to both of license plate light. No complaint so far (6 months already). Looks very nice at the night time because I just bought me brand new lens cover .

Andy
Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
not sure what your problem is but I did customed the resistors to both of license plate light. No complaint so far (6 months already). Looks very nice at the night time because I just bought me brand new lens cover .

Andy
I think I came across the DIY, but it looks like too much work. That's why I went for the bulbs with the built-in resistors. How long did it take you to install everything?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by astropat
I think I came across the DIY, but it looks like too much work. That's why I went for the bulbs with the built-in resistors. How long did it take you to install everything?
First time to my CLK320 it took around 1 hour (beginner lol) now...30 mins max . It is easy man seriously.

Andy
Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
First time to my CLK320 it took around 1 hour (beginner lol) now...30 mins max . It is easy man seriously.

Andy
Where did you get the parts from? Which DIY did you follow? Links please
Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 AM

2004 CLK500 COUPE/AUTO
The problem is not the bulbs, it is the computer

The problem is the merc computer will kill your light socket until restart when you move bulbs around or replace them, so you need to shut the car on and off (not neccessarily starting it) a couple times when this happends. your light will come back on.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
wassup pat

here are the links to andy's resistor.
i believe the first one is the pic of the install and the second one is the instructions or what he used. lol

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...6-led-diy.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...installed.html
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Varies
I just noticed that my driver side light stopped working. I know my aftermarket bulb works fine because when I switch it to the other side, it works fine. When I install factory bulbs to the left side, it still doesn't work. Problem w/ the socket?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by bheng
wassup pat

here are the links to andy's resistor.
i believe the first one is the pic of the install and the second one is the instructions or what he used. lol

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...6-led-diy.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...installed.html
I didnt even remember I had that thread lolz. That was when I installed those LED to my 320 . I remember I see somewhere that some of our members using the LED w/the resistor built-in already so I guess try to search. Use this keyword when you search "LED license plate" or something like that.

Edit: found the link that selling those with resistor built in,

ijdmtoy.com

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 05-10-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Those are the ones I use. The bulbs were a bit long but I made them fit by pushing the clamp a bit over more
Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

CLK 320
I had the those ones with the resistors from ijdmtoy also. I bought a whole replacement lamp to see if that'll work too. If not, I'm going to do Andy's method. Thanks for the links guys! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Let me know if I can help .

Andy
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Gl
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Varies
Originally Posted by tarokyama
The problem is the merc computer will kill your light socket until restart when you move bulbs around or replace them, so you need to shut the car on and off (not neccessarily starting it) a couple times when this happends. your light will come back on.
Are you sure about that because mine still hasn't come on
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM

2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
i had the same problem
my subwoofer was so loud it kept knocking one of the led connections loose...
i used a screw driver and was moving the light bulb holders back and forth until it finally litup...i then jammed a piece of cardboard to keep the holders from moving back and forth from the bass
and now i have no problems

and same thing happened to me...i'd put in the stock incandescent bulbs and it would work...but the leds wouldn't...weird

just something u can try before u go changing everythign out....
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 sport
Found the solution for flicking license leds

Install stronger LEDs. I installed normal size leds for my license plate lights and i had the same problem because leds draw less power that is why computer sees it as a problem. When i put stronger (12leds instead 6) it solved the problem and now it has been working without any problems.

The left license plate light will no longer accept LED lights. I had them installed with no problem for 4-5 months. All of a sudden, it stopped working. I swapped the bulbs from the other side that was working, and the bulb worked fine in there, but on the same left side, the bulb from the other side would flicker when installed in the left license plate light. It's just so weird that one side would accept all the bulbs, and the other would make all of them flicker. Any ideas?

I don't know why this irritates me so much. By the way, they all were bulbs with the built-in resistors.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by ibaloglu
Install stronger LEDs. I installed normal size leds for my license plate lights and i had the same problem because leds draw less power that is why computer sees it as a problem. When i put stronger (12leds instead 6) it solved the problem and now it has been working without any problems.
Sorry to bring back a super dead and old thread... but I never resolved this issue. I ended switching it back to stock bulbs. I bought a replacement lamp assembly and that did nothing. Switching bulbs back and forth and the bulbs work individually (2 different sets).

Where can you buy these 'bigger' LEDs for the rear license plate?

I'm might just do Andy's mod since I have vacation till the new year.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 sport
I have a pair that ll work just perfect. Perfect figment guaranty and it s very bright white led. This ll not leave any error code and no other problem. If you like it email me at ibaloglu@gmail.com and I ll send you my pictures and pictures of the bulbs you ll be getting.

Sorry to bring back a super dead and old thread... but I never resolved this issue. I ended switching it back to stock bulbs. I bought a replacement lamp assembly and that did nothing. Switching bulbs back and forth and the bulbs work individually (2 different sets).

Where can you buy these 'bigger' LEDs for the rear license plate?

I'm might just do Andy's mod since I have vacation till the new year.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM

2009 Mercedes C300 sport

I had mine on since long time and since I installed the I have had no problem at all. they have been working very well and perfect. I have learned a lot about this leds since i started. Last thing I have changed my tail lights to leds and they are soooo nice every time I get in my car i love it more and more. I send you pictures if you like to see even videos how they operate. email me i ll respond with video and pictures. I know how you guys feel because I have been there. dont give up. once you successfully finish your projet it ll make you so happy. ibaloglu@gmail.com
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I recently bought these and they have been working great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
damn $30 ? lolz.

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: License Plate Lights