CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

how do i run wires from under the car to inside the cabin?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asdf
how do i run wires from under the car to inside the cabin?

i've tried searching but got nothing good. I want to run a wire from under the car to somewhere accessible by the driver (ashtray?) any help?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
super easy.

strip the inside of your car passenger footwell. run the wire to the engine, then to the grommet hole on the passenger side behind the batery which leads to the bottom by the footwell. after that, run it underneath the cabin, through the center console to the ashtray.

lol sorry i would take photos from other threads but im writing a paper.

what are you trying to run?

btw look at 2mchar's photos on how he ran a 4 gauge wire for his amp from the battery. there is a pic of the grommet hole there. i think theres another name for it there but its not coming to me.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 AM

S Class
hmmm....electric exhaust cut-outs! I'd bet $1000
Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 AM

asdf
awesome bheng, thanks, i'll give it a try hopefully tomorrow. if not, i'm from SF too, you can show me in person!

flyguy, i'm not the gambling type

but maybe you should run and buy a lottery ticket!

edit: bheng, so let me get this right. I'm going to remove the carpet from the passenger side floor first. Underneath the carpet I should find a hole close to the glove compartment that runs to the engine compartment. I'll run the wire from the engine compartment down to the bottom of the car? How do I get to the center console? Would I need to remove the ashtray/navi screen?

Last edited by henry47; 06-04-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 AM

S Class
Originally Posted by henry47
awesome bheng, thanks, i'll give it a try hopefully tomorrow. if not, i'm from SF too, you can show me in person!

flyguy, i'm not the gambling type

but maybe you should run and buy a lottery ticket!
lol. When you do run the wires it would be priceless for you to take pix as I am interested in the same. THX!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
remove the carpet, remove the everything until you get to the metal chassis. from there you should see 3 or 4 holes with rubbed around them. on the other side of that, there should be your battery (at least on the w209). from there you are free to figure out how to wire to your cut out or whatever your trying to do.

from the footwell, there should be screws under the glove compartment, take those out, and you can run your wires under there to the center console/ashtray housing.

to remove the center console, you need to remove you shifter, then you shift trim, then proceed ashtray then to your center console trim. you might need to remove the navi temporarily.

run the wire thru the hole which is located under the glove compartment piece you removed. if you want to make it stealth and if it can fit, drill a hole thru your ashtray housing to the otherside to run your wire through that hole.

reverse and reassemble.

lol yeah its long and it might take some time but def not super impossible. haha gotta be patient tho. but thats how i would do it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 AM

asdf
Originally Posted by bheng
remove the carpet, remove the everything until you get to the metal chassis. from there you should see 3 or 4 holes with rubbed around them. on the other side of that, there should be your battery (at least on the w209). from there you are free to figure out how to wire to your cut out or whatever your trying to do.

from the footwell, there should be screws under the glove compartment, take those out, and you can run your wires under there to the center console/ashtray housing.

to remove the center console, you need to remove you shifter, then you shift trim, then proceed ashtray then to your center console trim. you might need to remove the navi temporarily.

run the wire thru the hole which is located under the glove compartment piece you removed. if you want to make it stealth and if it can fit, drill a hole thru your ashtray housing to the otherside to run your wire through that hole.

reverse and reassemble.

lol yeah its long and it might take some time but def not super impossible. haha gotta be patient tho. but thats how i would do it.
so there's no direct hole from the bottom of the car to under the ash tray?

the best way is to go through the firewall?

sorry for the dumb questions, i'm trying to visualize what you're saying but am still a bit confused.

btw, i plan on powering the cutoff through the cigarette lighter so does this change anything?

Last edited by henry47; 06-04-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
as for a direct hole, i dont know.

thats the best way i would visualize how to do it.

no worries man. i was where you were when i was trying to do my audio install. haha thanks to memmbers on the forum, im not the first one but just passing on information.

is your cut off just run bya 12v source? if so, then no problems. im running my hu and soon to be another item on the cig lighter. worse comes to worse, you will blow a fuse (dont trust me on that lol i dont wanna be responsible for anything bad) but yeah, it should work as long as it can be powered by a 12v source.

edit: you can always go to a benz dealer and talk to one of the techs if your not sure or go to an indie shop to talk to a tech to see if its possible
Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 AM

asdf
alright, tomorrow i'm just going to remove the shifter and shift trim and ashtray, anchor the switch in there, run the wire from behind the ashtray to the passenger footwell, down from the passenger footwell to the hole in the firewall to the back of the battery, then run the wire all the way down the back of the engine (is this safe?) down underneath the car and the zip tie the wire all the way back to the exhaust cut out. does that plan seem logical?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
perfectly logical. sorry my steps are kind of out of order but thats all you really need to do for the most part.

for the part of whether its safe or not.....i dont know. the only thing i ran through the firewall hole was the 4 gauge wire to the battery for the amps. i guess make sure your wires can withstand the heat from the engine bay?