CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Remote Lock only works if standing on the passenger side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK320 Cabrio
Remote Lock only works if standing on the passenger side

Hi, Just purchased a 2005 CLK 320 Cabrio. Seems that both remote key fob only works if i'm standing by the passenger side of the car. If i'm on the driver's side, i have to literally touch the key on the door sensor for it to work sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't work. I would have to walk around to the passenger side to unlock. Also, doesn't look like the remote trunk work either. Anyone have an idea what it might be. Have an appt with the MB service at Princton 2moro. Wondering if anyone had the same problems and what kind of repair/parts cost am i looking at? thanks all.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all, do you have more than one key, and if so, do both exhibit this problem? If that's the case, then it's the antenna module and it's going to be an expensive repair. If you only have one key, then I suggest replacing the batteries in the fob before going to the dealer as that's a likely culprit and an inexpensive repair. If that doesn't work, then it still could be the antenna amplifier module in the vehicle.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM

2005 CLK320 Cabrio
Got the result from the dealer- they said the driver side door infared sensor needs replace and also they think the radio antenna reciever is having problem. They said it would take 3to 4 hours to diagnose the Radio reciever antenna since they have to remove the dash. They also said the lock works off both the RF radio receiver as well as the door infared sensor ( which is more like a back up). They said i can replace the driver door Infared sensor and it will work standing on either driver or passenger side. But without the RF radio receiver module diagnose and fix, i won't get the full functional distance.
Should I just replace the door sensor and let it be?
Also, they said that RF Radio antenna module is under the dash and kinda like an anti theft related item, so its only a Dealer part and install. They cannot just sell you that unit to install.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:19 AM

04 W211 E55 AMG
I have the exact same problem and its really doing my head in. My car is RHD so I have to stand right in front of my drivers door and face the key at the sensor for it to work.. If I face it anywhere else it won't work .. Let me know how it goes with your repair as I'm kinda scared into what the cost is gonna be lol
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There is an antenna amplifier system that processes all received RF signals for both the Remote Control Locking and AM/FM radio. There may be a problem with that. It's not cheap or easy to replace:

CLK Antenna Amplifier

Oh, and I looked it up on parts.com and it shows as "unavailable", so maybe it also contains the DAS components that actually validate the keys. I know on the W203 model, this is located at the top of the rear glass, and it is available and not part of DAS.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM

2005 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Rudeney
There is an antenna amplifier system that processes all received RF signals for both the Remote Control Locking and AM/FM radio. There may be a problem with that. It's not cheap or easy to replace:

CLK Antenna Amplifier

Oh, and I looked it up on parts.com and it shows as "unavailable", so maybe it also contains the DAS components that actually validate the keys. I know on the W203 model, this is located at the top of the rear glass, and it is available and not part of DAS.
Service advisor did say that the part is only available thru dealer install due to some anti theft related function.
Also, the AM/FM radio works fine.