2006 CLK 350 Convertable Water leak - MBWorld.org Forums



CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2006 CLK 350 Convertable Water leak

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Drives: clk 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Convertable Water leak

Dear all,

I am puzzled about a problem with leakage of water on the right and left side of the roof from the inside, see attached pic. The car is just sitting in the rain when these pics were taken When i drive a swap of water is coming out of the gray section but still drips the whole time if the rain continues.

This happens on both sides driver and passenger. The picture taken is from the passenger side

It all looks fine, seals look good windows close tight.

Any idea's

Your help as always appreciated

HB
Attached Thumbnails
2006 CLK 350 Convertable Water leak-004.jpg  
brummerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Drives: clk 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok i fixed it, It is a bottle of 3 M spray from your local Wal-Mart you find in the camping and show section to spray the roof. Look for the bottle with no poly inside it is blue. I used 3 bottles for the roof and all is sealed again. Spray evenly and double spray the sites especially nice. Bruch you roof prior doing it and make sure it is dry. Don't waist any money on MB kit , it is just the same.
brummerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Klinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,794
Drives: Slk55, Clk500 Cab., C350, Civic
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummerh View Post
Dear all,

I am puzzled about a problem with leakage of water on the right and left side of the roof from the inside, see attached pic. The car is just sitting in the rain when these pics were taken When i drive a swap of water is coming out of the gray section but still drips the whole time if the rain continues.

This happens on both sides driver and passenger. The picture taken is from the passenger side

It all looks fine, seals look good windows close tight.

Any idea's

Your help as always appreciated

HB


Mine leaked one time while park when it rain. All I did were reseated the top by open and closed again and it never leak again.
Klinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Drives: clk 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did that too at first but every time it was raining the water started to leak out of the two plastic parts ( see pics ) . I cleaned already prior my actions the drain channels in the window rubber seals on the right and left site so that was not an issue. The car came from the south, so due to the intense sunshine the protective rain seal will break down and you should renew it every year.

When i owned a 3 series in Germany i bought ones the kit for canvas maintenance and it came with the 3M Bottle and a brush for cleaning. So i did the same here brushed the dust out of the roof , with some soap water removed some stains, applies 3 coat's of spray water repellent for cloth.

Fixed it, I guarantee, it rained quite a bit sinse , had no problem at all. Water pearls from the roof as if it is freshly waxed car.

HB
brummerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Klinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,794
Drives: Slk55, Clk500 Cab., C350, Civic
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummerh View Post
I did that too at first but every time it was raining the water started to leak out of the two plastic parts ( see pics ) . I cleaned already prior my actions the drain channels in the window rubber seals on the right and left site so that was not an issue. The car came from the south, so due to the intense sunshine the protective rain seal will break down and you should renew it every year.

When i owned a 3 series in Germany i bought ones the kit for canvas maintenance and it came with the 3M Bottle and a brush for cleaning. So i did the same here brushed the dust out of the roof , with some soap water removed some stains, applies 3 coat's of spray water repellent for cloth.

Fixed it, I guarantee, it rained quite a bit sinse , had no problem at all. Water pearls from the roof as if it is freshly waxed car.

HB

Thanks for the infos.
Klinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
Actually, cleaning and using the water repellent on the top is a temporary fix for a leak. The outer canvas of the soft top is actually a multi-layer material where the bottom most layer is a waterproof material. If it leaks, it means there is a breakdown in the material. There are ways to permanently fix it, but you have to find the actual leak. It's likely in a spot where the material folds or rubs against a part of the frame or actuating components.
Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but a similar problem showed up on BW and below is my response, in case it might help someone:

Believe it or not, the seal between the soft top and the windshield is not water tight. Instead, there is a channel in the rubber seal designed to trap water and then allow it to drain away. A common cause of water dripping from the front corners of the soft top is clogged drains.

There are actually two drain channels, both running along the rubber gasket on the inside of the side windows. In the photo below, the green arrows point to two openings in the windshield gasket. Follow them and you will see where the water should go if it collects in the windshield header channel. The larger upper/outboard opening goes to a channel that is open against the inside of the side glass so it should be easy to check for clogs. The smaller, lower/innermost opening goes into a closed channel in the side window gasket.

To test for clogs, first check these gasket openings for obstructions. Use something soft and flexible like cotton swab to probe the openings and make sure they are clear. Next, with the top lowered and side windows raised, slowly pour a small stream of water into the windshield gasket channel and see where it goes. Unless you pour too much water too quickly, the water should disappear into these holes and drip out the front edge of the door, between the door and fender, or in front of the side mirror. If the water pools in the rubber gasket, you have a clog. Be careful clearing it as you don't want to tear the gasket. Using low pressure compressed air might work, or blowing into a straw pushed into the channel.

Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,754
Drives: Yo Momma
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rudeney, I had the same leak problem as the OP in the first post. Unfortunately, i freaked out becasue it was winter and went to the dealer and paid 700 bucks to get those "seals" replaced
ZEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Drives: 05 CLK Cabriolet, 04 X-type, 99 Ranger Off Road, 79 Clenet Series I, 67 Cadillac Fleetwood
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 CLK320 42,000 miles. After 6 trips to the dealer, they adjusted every window, the top, the doors, etc. the dealer washed their hands and told me there was nothing else that they could do.
It leaked just like the pictures brummerh posted.
I got disgusted and took matters into my own hands.
I purchased 2 of the largest cans of Scotchgard and went to town on the entire canvas top.
No more leaks.
$6
Done.
harborcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Drives: clk 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear.

Update:
I newer resealed my roof since last November in 2011, we had a lot of rain this summer here in NC. The roof is still not leaking. Coming November i will repeat the cleaning sealing procedure again with my 3M can's from Wal-Mart.

HB
brummerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
Guys, I am glad the Scotchgard is working, but the reality is that you have a bigger problem. The outer shell of the cabriolet top should be waterproof even without any special coatings. If it requires a coating to keep it from leaking, then the inner "membrane" of the fabric top has failed. I guess spending $6 every few months to plug this is better than spending $1000 for a new top, but eventually, a new top will be required. I guess it's just the price we pay for the pleasure of driving topless.
Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Drives: 05 CLK Cabriolet, 04 X-type, 99 Ranger Off Road, 79 Clenet Series I, 67 Cadillac Fleetwood
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The scotchgard is still keeping me dry. BTW, my top was completely taken apart, all layers were inspected. Everything still looked like new. The inner membrane, the outer membrane, the insulation, everything.
harborcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
My guess is that you have a leak in the stitching and the Scotchgard is helping to repel that. If it works, great, but that's not "normal" maintenance to prevent leaks.

BTW - how about some photos of the Fleetwood?
Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Drives: 05 CLK Cabriolet, 04 X-type, 99 Ranger Off Road, 79 Clenet Series I, 67 Cadillac Fleetwood
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scotchgard still working

We are going on 2-1/2 years since I scothgarded the top of my 2005 CLK cabriolet. It's still NOT leaking. We had more than a few real gully washer rains in the past since and those times the car wasn't garaged I assumed there be some leaking....Nope. Still dry as a bone.
harborcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Drives: 53 chevy 3100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborcountry View Post
We are going on 2-1/2 years since I scothgarded the top of my 2005 CLK cabriolet. It's still NOT leaking. We had more than a few real gully washer rains in the past since and those times the car wasn't garaged I assumed there be some leaking....Nope. Still dry as a bone.
I would like to add to this comment. I have a 2005 that has been garage kept its entire life. It however is in South Florida. Tough on tops. I went around circles with the dealer and tried every trick with rubber gaskets. Ultimately the solution was to retreat the top with a water repellant.

We get rain in buckets. A couple of inches in a day isn't odd. The car went from leaking like a faucet was turned on to dry as a bone. There's ZERO chance any of the other solutions worked for me. The car sat in the rain on multiple occasions and leaked after each failed attempt. Spray it with a soft top treatment 3 coats and now it doesn't leak. End of story.
Sethmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
If you want a good water repellent, try Rustoleum Neverwet. Get the spray bottle specifically for outdoor canvas. Even though my top is in bad shape (bad glue job on the seam) and I am going to replace it this winter, I sprayed mine and the stuff is amazing. My only advice is to make sure you cover the glass and car as the over-spray is like cleaning off bubblegum.
Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Drives: 2005 CLK500
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmark View Post
I would like to add to this comment. I have a 2005 that has been garage kept its entire life. It however is in South Florida. Tough on tops. I went around circles with the dealer and tried every trick with rubber gaskets. Ultimately the solution was to retreat the top with a water repellant.

We get rain in buckets. A couple of inches in a day isn't odd. The car went from leaking like a faucet was turned on to dry as a bone. There's ZERO chance any of the other solutions worked for me. The car sat in the rain on multiple occasions and leaked after each failed attempt. Spray it with a soft top treatment 3 coats and now it doesn't leak. End of story.
hi, hope all is well. i am in Florida and is experiencing this familiar leak. what brand did you used and how many coats/cans and whats the present situation with your top?
jwb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Drives: 2005 CLK500
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
If you want a good water repellent, try Rustoleum Neverwet. Get the spray bottle specifically for outdoor canvas. Even though my top is in bad shape (bad glue job on the seam) and I am going to replace it this winter, I sprayed mine and the stuff is amazing. My only advice is to make sure you cover the glass and car as the over-spray is like cleaning off bubblegum.
hi, hope all is well. i would like your opinion. Is rustoleum brand better than raggtop/Scotchgard, and do they have Haartz approval?
jwb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Drives: 53 chevy 3100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Raggtop. 3 cans of it and hit the stitching around the windows hard. We've had 51" of rain this year and my car does NOT leak anymore. It was pouring in around the inner door seals prior to treatment. My guess is the stitching has stretched.
Sethmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Drives: 2005 CLK500
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethmark View Post
I used Raggtop. 3 cans of it and hit the stitching around the windows hard. We've had 51" of rain this year and my car does NOT leak anymore. It was pouring in around the inner door seals prior to treatment. My guess is the stitching has stretched.
thanks for the quick response. what are the necessary precaution with Raggtop sealant?
jwb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Drives: 2005 CLK500
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
I know this is an old thread, but a similar problem showed up on BW and below is my response, in case it might help someone:

Believe it or not, the seal between the soft top and the windshield is not water tight. Instead, there is a channel in the rubber seal designed to trap water and then allow it to drain away. A common cause of water dripping from the front corners of the soft top is clogged drains.

There are actually two drain channels, both running along the rubber gasket on the inside of the side windows. In the photo below, the green arrows point to two openings in the windshield gasket. Follow them and you will see where the water should go if it collects in the windshield header channel. The larger upper/outboard opening goes to a channel that is open against the inside of the side glass so it should be easy to check for clogs. The smaller, lower/innermost opening goes into a closed channel in the side window gasket.

To test for clogs, first check these gasket openings for obstructions. Use something soft and flexible like cotton swab to probe the openings and make sure they are clear. Next, with the top lowered and side windows raised, slowly pour a small stream of water into the windshield gasket channel and see where it goes. Unless you pour too much water too quickly, the water should disappear into these holes and drip out the front edge of the door, between the door and fender, or in front of the side mirror. If the water pools in the rubber gasket, you have a clog. Be careful clearing it as you don't want to tear the gasket. Using low pressure compressed air might work, or blowing into a straw pushed into the channel.


Hi, I had a tire shop clear these holes with a compressor neddle. It stills drips when it rains. Any other suggestion? Before I treat the top with rustolien outdoors fabric spray.

Thanks
jwb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #22
MBworld Guru
 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,140
Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previous: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Thanked 163 Times in 160 Posts
It seems that as the canvas ages, it may start leaking. Treating it with water proofing may help, but ultimately you'll need new canvas. I used Never Wet on mine - the kind designed for outdoor canvas. It works very well. Water on the fabric beads and is completely repelled. You can literally dry the top by blowing on it with your mouth - the water just falls right off.
Rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Drives: 2005 CLK500
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeney View Post
It seems that as the canvas ages, it may start leaking. Treating it with water proofing may help, but ultimately you'll need new canvas. I used Never Wet on mine - the kind designed for outdoor canvas. It works very well. Water on the fabric beads and is completely repelled. You can literally dry the top by blowing on it with your mouth - the water just falls right off.
Thanks for replying. I got two bottles of the never wet and looking forward to coating the canvas.
jwb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W220 Windsheild Wipers sabri S-Class (W220) 11 09-23-2016 11:16 PM
ML320 2009 BlueTec coolant leak and short circuit dmitry_sorokin Mercedes Tech Talk 5 09-14-2016 10:19 PM
rear differential gears gixxerboy CLK-Class (W209) 45 09-09-2016 01:42 PM
WTB CLK55 Convertible in SoCal warbern Mercedes Vehicles 4 11-24-2015 12:46 PM
Randomly started leaking coolant 4 mos after new water pump and system flush! CLK500 TWINS CL-Class (W215) 7 09-07-2015 04:24 PM


Tags
2001, 2006, 320, 350, clk, clk350, forums, hb, leak, leaks, mb, mercedes, review, roof, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.