CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 CLK550 Headunit replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550 RENNTECH
2009 CLK550 Headunit replacement

Can anyone recommend a nice fitting head-unit for CLK550? I need to replace old HK. Any install tips would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 CLK350 Cabriolet with 18" AMG Fitment TSW Rims
Both of these are pricey, but they look OEM. I put an older Seicane in my car 4 years ago but Android 5 had MANY issues.
The second link is what I replaced that unit with, as it has more processor, ram and EEPROM. Be sure to get the Octacore-4GB/64GB unit. It's an order of magnitude nicer than the older Seicane. Note the new Seicane unit is also updated, so either vendor. Seicane has at least SOME tech support.
If your car has the HK fiber optic system, be sure to find an adapter that connects Line outputs to Fiber; then you can retain your amp. Otherwise you'll have to put up with the head unit's power amp which I don't recommend.

https://www.seicane.com/android-gps-...usb-sd-s018812

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53

Last edited by rmetzner49; 07-09-2020 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lovetoflyfish (07-27-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:25 AM

CLK550 RENNTECH
Thanks for the links, I've been looking at Seicane for a while now. Did you install yourself?
Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Yes, but don't think it's a cake walk. I'm a retired Electrical Engineer and it took me a WHILE to sort out the wiring problems.
In my case, the MOST (fiber adapter) was not yet available, so I had to run a new cable from the head unit to the trunk and splice into the connector that WAS the Harmon Kardon Amp.
Instructions are almost non-existent with either unit. For example, no one told me there is an antenna amp in the deck lid of the Mercedes and to find the wire that feeds it 12V so I could get good signal.
Then there was a turn-on issue in their supplied cable. The unit turns on via CAN-BUS adapter they supply, but the harness they supplied was off one pin for the CAN signals. That CAN adapter blew up about 2 years later and I had to get another.
My experience with Seicane is not terrific. I didn't need to enlist Medec for my second unit because by that time all the wiring issues were sorted out and it was a drop-in. No matter which company you go with, I encourage buying the Fiber Adapter (MOST) and keeping the HK Amp.
I also can't over emphasize the Octacore 4G/64G unit which is an option with Medec. I have cheaper Android in my Dakota with 1G/16G and quad core and it stumbles like the original Seicane.
The following users liked this post:
Lovetoflyfish (07-27-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM

CLK550 RENNTECH
Yes, I've been told numerous times MB are a big pain to install aftermarket. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:03 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
@rmetzner49 thanks for the write up on your experience with the Seicane unit. I had previously considered the Seicane unit, but I think you confirmed that I made the right decision by going with a Bluetooth adapter to get handsfree calling and music streaming. I went with the Mr. 12 Volt unit in case anyone cares. It installs in place of the CD changer, and I can use the steering wheel controls to change tracks. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the Send/Call functions to work as I hoped (for truly handsfree calling), but otherwise it works well. It took me well under an hour to install.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM

@nkx1: Four years ago, when I first decided to go with the Seicane unit, we were at Android 5.0 Lollipop and I doubt the Mr.12V unit was available at the time. My main motivation was to be able to store music on an SD card and play favorites. Though my Windows Phone was able to play music on the Seicane, the pairing of the phone was quirky. You almost invariably had to pair each time you went for a drive. Not only that, you could only sustain ONE Bluetooth connection at a time. That issue received many write-ups as being a fault of Android 5.0. The second, third and fourth motivations were hands-free calling and not being tied to Mercedes' Navigation System. At that time, they were charging $150 for an update DVD. I also wanted a backup camera.

The Medec unit I replaced the Seicane with runs Android 9.0 which has resolved many of the issues present in the Seicane. I believe however, today's Seicane and today's Medec are the same unit.

How could they make it better? Give me the ability to record BOTH front and rear-facing Cameras. The front while moving, and the rear while slowing. Not too difficult since the GPS sensor already knows those things.

Last edited by rmetzner49; 07-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 AM

CLK500
Originally Posted by rmetzner49
@nkx1: Four years ago, when I first decided to go with the Seicane unit, we were at Android 5.0 Lollipop and I doubt the Mr.12V unit was available at the time. My main motivation was to be able to store music on an SD card and play favorites. Though my Windows Phone was able to play music on the Seicane, the pairing of the phone was quirky. You almost invariably had to pair each time you went for a drive. Not only that, you could only sustain ONE Bluetooth connection at a time. That issue received many write-ups as being a fault of Android 5.0. The second, third and fourth motivations were hands-free calling and not being tied to Mercedes' Navigation System. At that time, they were charging $150 for an update DVD. I also wanted a backup camera.

The Medec unit I replaced the Seicane with runs Android 9.0 which has resolved many of the issues present in the Seicane. I believe however, today's Seicane and today's Medec are the same unit.

How could they make it better? Give me the ability to record BOTH front and rear-facing Cameras. The front while moving, and the rear while slowing. Not too difficult since the GPS sensor already knows those things.
What about the sound quality? I'd like to upgrade my COMAND MSCII with H/K to at least have bluetooth and similar sound quality to stock (ideally I want to keep the H/K amp). As far as I can tell android head units are the way to go considering they keep the OEM like look. Though people say it's worse than stock. Is that true?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:20 AM

What about the sound quality? I'd like to upgrade my COMAND MSCII with H/K to at least have bluetooth and similar sound quality to stock (ideally I want to keep the H/K amp). As far as I can tell android head units are the way to go considering they keep the OEM like look. Though people say it's worse than stock. Is that true?
I suppose it depends on what your end game is. It was important to me to have more power to overcome noise while the top is down, which I obtained by installing separate AMPS. I have a 4-channel @125 RMS W per channel for the door speakers and a separate 500W for the subwoofer. I have no experience in running the HK amp from the Fiber Adapter. There has to be a compromise there because there are 2 channels of Fiber and apparently the HK amp creates the subwoofer channel within. With my setup, the Head Unit has the Sub Output and you can better control how much you send to it. At some point though you overpower the 6-1/4" sub anyway. What do they say "is worse than stock"? The look or the sound?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 AM

CLK500
I suppose it depends on what your end game is. It was important to me to have more power to overcome noise while the top is down, which I obtained by installing separate AMPS. I have a 4-channel @125 RMS W per channel for the door speakers and a separate 500W for the subwoofer. I have no experience in running the HK amp from the Fiber Adapter. There has to be a compromise there because there are 2 channels of Fiber and apparently the HK amp creates the subwoofer channel within. With my setup, the Head Unit has the Sub Output and you can better control how much you send to it. At some point though you overpower the 6-1/4" sub anyway. What do they say "is worse than stock"? The look or the sound?
Since mine is coupe I don't have any noise issues. The main thing for me is to have bluetooth or usb playback. I find the H/K system to have good enough sound quality and amrather butthurt about losing logic7 that's why I don't want to add any new external amps or replace the speakers. I was reffering to sound quality when I said worse than stock. I'd quite like to have an android unit as it has modern navigation, bluetooth, usb and everything you will ever need in a vehicle, though the sound quality is my main concern as people say it's straight up bad.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:48 PM

That would be a good thing to know: We already believe the HK amp makes the Subwoofer channel so it would make one wonder if it also (Via its DSP) makes the 5.1 surround (Logic7). I do know from looking at the MOST Adapters they have two fiber outputs. The latest Android with Octacore DOES have a DSP in the head but I would bet the Chinese haven't organized things well enough to play well with the HK Amp. The pictures of the Adapters I've seen only have TWO RCA inputs, so I would wonder if you even get Front/Rear out of that.
As I mentioned, I have zero experience integrating an Android Head Unit with MB's MOST system.

I don't know that I ever compared before and after "sound quality" since broadcast Radio and CDs were all I could listen to. Not sure if run of the mill CDs were even 5.1 capable. I had the 6-CD changer and NO desire to keep CDs in the car given the Florida heat. If the MB head unit had Bluetooth Phone connectivity, the ability to play MP3 and a decent Navigation system I would never have made the change.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:08 PM

CLK500
Thank you for your reply (and sorry for somewhat hijacking this thread as mine was ignored:/) though any information is much appreciated even if you have no expierence with integrating android with MOST.

As far as I've read (might be very wrong information) the two fiber optic cables are fast data transfer connections. One cable receives the information the other sends it throughout the devices (headunit and CD changer along with steering wheel controls) like CANBUS. I did look at this chinese head unit which has "DSP" built-in though that sounds really fishy as they call it "digital amplifier system" instead of "digital signal processing". Perhaps you could take a look at it and give me your feedback about the unit? As it's a fairly cheap octa core unit with DSP. Your mentioned adapters do have two RCA outputs which correspond to left and right sound meaning I lose fade/balance control completely, though if the sound is "decent enough" (close to stock) I would be more than fine without it since I never use it anyway.

Comparing radio and CD quality: I never listen to radio though I am forced to do so with my newly purchased CLK. The sound is decent.. enough. However, I burned a CD just to test out the quality and was quite happy how CDs sound compared to radio. So I am looking for someone who has listened to a CD with stock H/K system and upgraded to android and could compare the sound quality. If sound quality is at least similar then it would be a no-brainer for me too because of all the extra functions android has and the limited USA units functionality in Europe (can't even tune radio to stations which has an even number after the dot). If the sound is poor compared to stock I think I'd rather get the above mentioned MR12VOLT adapter.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 PM

That looks amazingly close to the one I ended up with and in my installation, having the SUB channel is good. My advice if you go this route is don't chintz. Buy the very best 8-core unit. You won't regret it. I recently put a 4-core in my old Dodge Dakota for $80. It was very unstable, couldn't run Navigation while playing MP3 files from the SIM card. I ended up throwing it away because it also randomly shut down for 2-3 minutes at a time. I replaced it with an 8-core unit and it's a different world. Yes, it cost me $225, but it works. I now have an $80 paper weight.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:00 AM

CLK500
Once again thank you for your reply! I am going to ask around a bit more about the sound quality and compatibility with H/K and if everything is okayish I'll probably go with this unit. They recently updated it to the PX6 chip and Android 10, though the unit with the new chip only comes in 4 cores:/
Old 08-18-2022, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 CLK 550 W209
Yes, but don't think it's a cake walk. I'm a retired Electrical Engineer and it took me a WHILE to sort out the wiring problems.
In my case, the MOST (fiber adapter) was not yet available, so I had to run a new cable from the head unit to the trunk and splice into the connector that WAS the Harmon Kardon Amp.
Instructions are almost non-existent with either unit. For example, no one told me there is an antenna amp in the deck lid of the Mercedes and to find the wire that feeds it 12V so I could get good signal.
Then there was a turn-on issue in their supplied cable. The unit turns on via CAN-BUS adapter they supply, but the harness they supplied was off one pin for the CAN signals. That CAN adapter blew up about 2 years later and I had to get another.
My experience with Seicane is not terrific. I didn't need to enlist Medec for my second unit because by that time all the wiring issues were sorted out and it was a drop-in. No matter which company you go with, I encourage buying the Fiber Adapter (MOST) and keeping the HK Amp.
I also can't over emphasize the Octacore 4G/64G unit which is an option with Medec. I have cheaper Android in my Dakota with 1G/16G and quad core and it stumbles like the original Seicane.
rmetzner, can you please be specific about your CanBus adapter pins being off by 2. Which pins/wire colors/labels. I'm trying to figure out why my steering wheel controls won't work. Pretty sure I've wired correctly but wondering if my CanBus adapter harness is mis-wired. thanks