CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 2004 Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
CLK 320 2004 Mercedes

I can't find the amp in my clk 320 convertible. I have no sound and have been told to check the fuse in the amp, can anyone tell me where the amp is located?? Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you have the Bose system, the amp is in the trunk, under the carpet, between the spare tire well and the back seat. Without Bose, the amp is built-in to the head unit. Oh, and if you have the Bose system, the signal between the head unit and the amp is carried via fiber optic cable, so it could be a break or disconnect there causing the problem.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
I took a look in ALLDATAdiy, This is where OE says the location is....

Attached Thumbnails CLK 320 2004 Mercedes-clk.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Not sure about the cab. But mine is on the rear right( under the carpet)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM

clk 320
Thanks! Found it where the right rear by tail light. Checked fuse and wasn't blown. Now I can't figure out why I still have no sound. I was told to disconnect the negatative on battery and reconnect it a few hours later. Anyone try that??

Thanks!

Maria
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It won't hurt to disconnect the battery. You will probably have to re-sync ESP and your auto-up windows afterward. To resync ESP, you start the engines and then turn the steering wheel fully left and right, lock to lock a few times. To resync the auto windows, lower them halfway, then raise them, and keep the switch lifted for an extra few seconds after they reach the top.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W209
AudioPilot Sound System

Originally Posted by Rudeney
If you have the Bose system, the amp is in the trunk, under the carpet, between the spare tire well and the back seat. Without Bose, the amp is built-in to the head unit. Oh, and if you have the Bose system, the signal between the head unit and the amp is carried via fiber optic cable, so it could be a break or disconnect there causing the problem.

My CLK320 04 has a "8-speaker Bose AudioPilot" factory installed. The head unit is Becker radio/tape and a 6-CD player in the glove box. I asked a dealer whether that was a Bose system with fiber optics, but after checking the VIN number he said it is not. I assume just the speakers are BOSE (there is BOSE logo in only one of the rear speakers). I also assume that the radio comes with a built-in amps. I'm trying to learn on that because I want to replace the radio for a double din GPS audio player. How can I find the amp if any?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
All W209's have fiber optics. It is used to carry audio and control signals among the head unit, CD changer, TeleAid, voice control and cell phone module (if so equipped). Without the optional Bose or Harmon-Kardon audio system, the amplifier is built into the head unit and there is analog wiring from there to the speakers. With the optional Bose or HK audio, the amp is in the trunk and it uses the fiber optic system to communicate. In that case, there is no analog speaker wiring a the head unit; it's at the amp in the trunk.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W209
Originally Posted by Rudeney
All W209's have fiber optics. It is used to carry audio and control signals among the head unit, CD changer, TeleAid, voice control and cell phone module (if so equipped). Without the optional Bose or Harmon-Kardon audio system, the amplifier is built into the head unit and there is analog wiring from there to the speakers. With the optional Bose or HK audio, the amp is in the trunk and it uses the fiber optic system to communicate. In that case, there is no analog speaker wiring a the head unit; it's at the amp in the trunk.
I opened the plastic lid in the trunk under the mat behind the spare wheel. There's no amp, just a black box, the communication control module. I assume the amp is built-in in the head unit. I'd like to replace the head unit with an OEM double dim with GPS, music and so on. The dealer told me that my speakers connection is MUS BUS (???), I guess this is analog. Would the BOSE speakers work with the OEM double dim?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I believe the Bose amp is actually in the right side rear fender area on the coupe, not ahead of the spare tire as in the cabriolet. If you have the Bose system, you will have no analog audio wiring in the dash. You would have to run your own analog wiring from the dash to the trunk then tap into the speaker wiring there at the Bose amp's outputs. I have heard people complain that without the dedicated Bose amp's "special tuning", that the Bose speakers do not sound good with aftermarket radios. I have no direct knowledge of that, so it will be up to you to make that decision.