Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Coupes & Cabriolets > CLK-Class (W209)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

Drives: 240 CLK
resetting park brake

Hi

I wanna see if anyone has experienced this?? I am getting a gringing sound from my left rear wheel, took it to a garage, who said the small springs inside the wheelhub was broken & fitted new ones. But as I went to back the car out of the garage, i noticed that the red park brake light stayed on, plus the park brake pedal now had a lot more movement than before? also the grinding noise was still there (admittedly not as loud as before). Well the mechanic spent the next few hrs fiddling & has asked to return next week??

Q: after fitting these small springs, is there some kind of tensioning to be done?

thanks in advance
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

BabyBluAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
MBworld Guru

Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previos: W163 ML320, W123 300D
Yes, the mechanic should have adjusted the parking brake. This is a two-step process. First, it uses a standard drum brake that uses a star wheel adjuster to set the shoes against the drum liner. That needs to be adjusted to where the shoes barely drag against the drum. Next, there is an adjustment on the actuator cable located under the rear seat. That needs to be adjusted to remove slack and also should be lubricated.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Many thanks at Rudeney, i'm meeting the mechanic tomorrow so will pass this info on & i can get my ride back to her brillliant best!!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Rudeney ............. You are the effin man!!!!!!! Thanks for that.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
MBworld Guru

Drives: Current: 2002 C240, 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, Previos: W163 ML320, W123 300D
You are welcome. I'm glad I could help. Oh, and I'm "the effin old man with no life except talking cars"
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM

Tags
2002, adjustment, brake, broke, broken, c240, cable, class, dragging, mercedes, mercedes300dbrakesdraging, parking, release, w123, w210