CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Attempting to install a Pioneer SPH DA100 on my CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Attempting to install a Pioneer SPH DA100 on my CLK

OK guys so i will make a thread and try to do a DIY of the work in progress.

This will be my first time ever doing something like this so all the help and suggestions you guys have please post them here.

The unit i purchased today is this the Pioneer SPH DA-100:

The unit is not that expensive compared to others so that was my first hint.

Also it works simultaneously with your iPhone or Android.
In my case i will be using the Apple iPhone.
In order to get the full benefit out of this unit you need to download an app called "AppRadio" which when you open, has a bunch of more apps that work with this.

Yesterday i found out there is a Cydia app (jailbroken iPhones only) called "AppRadio extension" which allows you to use your iPhone or iPod right from the Pioneer unit.
Basically you can play Angry birds on your Unit or watch Netflix browse the internet and so on.

I also purchased this Dash kit which comes with the harness as well:

I have the Pioneer unit at home but not the dash kit yet which should come in tomorrow and hopefully i can try to put it on the same day.

This is what the back of the unit looks like:

I will update the thread as i go.

Any suggestions or ideas? Let me know!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
This will be interesting.

I recently got a 2005 W209 and while "hot rod granny" had sprung for the 5.0 V8 and Xenon headlights, she forgot to do anything about Audio. Had the HK Audio 20. It was literally the ONLY used MB I looked at that didn't have the Aux jack.

Had to drive down from Seattle to LA with no way to connect iPod. So, we burned CDs.....

Once back in LA I thought about the 3rd party units but wimped out and did a Command 2 and iPod integration kit. I like the sound quality but the iPod menu system is super clunky through the steering wheel and it sure would be nice if passenger could do it from the Nav screen so I could drive.

The Nav itslef is clunky to use, those oddball Germans want yu to enter street name first, then number. Then it gives you a list of guesses on the city. And the graphics give away the age, almost an 8 bit look.

So, looking forward to your results. BTW, the toughest part of the job for me was yanking the upper control panel. For some reason the Merc upgrades site describes it as easy to yank but mine seemed like it was about to snap in half before it finally came out. 4 metal spring clips, I left a couple off for easy removal whilst I fiddled with GPS antenae placement.

Good luck...if your results are super I may follow your path !!!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 320 CDI
I'd suggest route your USB cable for the iPod down through the dash, alongside the automatic shift and up into the centre console. There is a small flap that you can route the cable in via, just in front of the ash tray.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
First attempt today failed!!!

Seller shipped me the wrong harness! Way to kill my weekend buddy! Didn't find out until I had all parts out.
Blahhh

Getting drunk and NOT driving I guess...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by jasmart
I'd suggest route your USB cable for the iPod down through the dash, alongside the automatic shift and up into the centre console. There is a small flap that you can route the cable in via, just in front of the ash tray.
I was thinking that but saw no space!
Will look again thanks for the tip!

I will also try to do it on the armrest.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
are you planning to use your iphone and android as you are moving?
if not, you can wire the ipod cable to your glove from where you are installing your hu.
you will lose functionality of the cd changer anyways, so thats gonna be done and out.

id also suggest a pac unit to keep steering wheel controls. pioneer has an adaptor that may fit your model, but sourcing it is a *****. i bought mine through some guy in ebay from brazil and waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive.

also some good tips and pointers are on the 203 section. ton of audio heads there. and a couple on here as well.

good luck! looking forward to the finished install!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Clkboi
First attempt today failed!!!

Seller shipped me the wrong harness! Way to kill my weekend buddy! Didn't find out until I had all parts out.
Blahhh

Getting drunk and NOT driving I guess...
I had a bit of a hassle getting the correct wire harness adapter & dash kit as well, but, in the end they were found and it was all good from there on in. Make sure to remember to run the aux power lead to trigger the antenna amplifier, otherwise you aren't going to have much for radio reception.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Kevwood
I had a bit of a hassle getting the correct wire harness adapter & dash kit as well, but, in the end they were found and it was all good from there on in. Make sure to remember to run the aux power lead to trigger the antenna amplifier, otherwise you aren't going to have much for radio reception.
+1 lol the adapter I bought from pioneer said it had a connect for the antenna amplifier, but it didn't work -_-; so I just used a universal antenna just as 2mchar had. Didn't feel like splicing into a wire (lazy, yeah I know) but glad it worked. Either that or iPod+pandora+iheart radio apps should be of use haha (which is what I did temporarily)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by bheng
are you planning to use your iphone and android as you are moving?
if not, you can wire the ipod cable to your glove from where you are installing your hu.
you will lose functionality of the cd changer anyways, so thats gonna be done and out.

id also suggest a pac unit to keep steering wheel controls. pioneer has an adaptor that may fit your model, but sourcing it is a *****. i bought mine through some guy in ebay from brazil and waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive.

also some good tips and pointers are on the 203 section. ton of audio heads there. and a couple on here as well.

good luck! looking forward to the finished install!

With this unit i will need to have access to my ipod most of the time.
I removed the front ashtray compartments today and its big enough for the ipod to sleep there for now.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Hey Kev i know you are a guru when it comes to Audio thanks for the input

Did any of the harnesses you got look like these here?

Also when you say:Make sure to remember to run the aux power lead to trigger the antenna amplifier, otherwise you aren't going to have much for radio reception.

Can you explain to a 5th grader lol?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Correct me if I am wrong kev, but I think he means to connect that blue wire on your harness to the power antenna wire that we have in our cars. 2mchar has his audio thread and found the power antenna wire near the back glass of the car.... But I'm thinking there is probably one that's closer to the hu?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The antenna amp needs power to operate. Use the HU's power antenna lead to supply voltage to the antenna amp for this purpose.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
You guys have a pic of this? I just ordered a new harness from UK today hopefully that one will work...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM

08 CLK 350 sport, 11 BMW 328i, 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 06 Suzuki DRZ400SM
Most stereo installer would have the antennae harness/adaptor.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Ok i think i know what cable you guys are talking about.

Anyone can help me with the wiring here?
I tried it once myself and tested it but the unit wouldn't even turn on.
I think its the wrong harness but am not certain...

How would you guys wire this by color?

This is my factory harness:

Scosche Harness and color code

This is the antenna cable right?

Pioneer harness and color code

Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Sorry! I should have posted this earlier. But I couldn't find the PDF. Happened to have stumbled onto this by luck. Hope it helps

http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_..._R30728-08.pdf

I think this is the harness you should try to source. Comes assembled and should connect right into your old harness. When I'm on a comp, I'll skim through the 203 section to verify that this is the one for the updated stereo harnesses. I used carpi 131 for the Bose, if anyone here is wondering
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
So the cable from UK came in and i will give it another shot tomorrow and see if i can do it all without hard-wiring

I have a question though. Where is the antenna amplifier located for a 2006 CLK 350 coupe?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
The installation is done!
I failed to do this myself and let BestBuy handle it. Dealing with the fiber optic cable for the Amp was a real pain the ***. I always thought the Harman/Kardon only used fiber optic for the CD Changer but i was wrong.

Unit looks great and performs well. I love the new audio quality since the unit is amplified itself.

Will take some pics and videos soon.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Bestbuy did it even though it was a fiber optic set up? They told me they don't do any work on cars with fiber optics. Anyways congrats on getting your new head unit set up, The app radio seems really cool
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM

bmw
work in progress.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 AM

06 CLK350
Originally Posted by Clkboi
The installation is done!
I failed to do this myself and let BestBuy handle it. Dealing with the fiber optic cable for the Amp was a real pain the ***. I always thought the Harman/Kardon only used fiber optic for the CD Changer but i was wrong.

Unit looks great and performs well. I love the new audio quality since the unit is amplified itself.

Will take some pics and videos soon.
Hi Clkboi,
I had the same problem like u with that optic fiber. Do u know how did Bestbuy connect the optic fiber to the unit ?
Thanks a lot man
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

merceded b class 2007
hi im stuck in same.senario is it possible you can click some.pics im in urgent need.

[QUOTE=Clkboi;5420037]The installation is done!

Will take some pics and videos soon.[

Hi im im the same scenario can you please post some pics and give me addvice thanks