CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Benefits of an ECU reset - Fuel economy benefit!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
Benefits of an ECU reset - Fuel economy benefit!

Hi Everyone.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.

Recently my car was getting a bit thirsty. I went from about 10.9L/100Km to about 13.9L/100Km. A bit later my MAF also threw an error and ended up needing to be replaced.

After the replacement, my fuel economy still didn't improve. Even on long cruises, the economy was still pretty crap.

So I tried the ECU reset procedure (ignition on, step on the gas pedal, ignition off, release gas and then wait). The difference was instant!

I went back to about 10.9L/100Km in city driving (I live in Hong Kong and traffic here is murder) and today on a drive out to the airport, I got down to just 8L/100Km. I suspect that it could have gotten even lower if not for a bit of traffic I hit.

As an extra benefit, my car also doesn't seem to be shifting gears as erratically too.

So, the moral of the story is, an ECU reset may help you improve your fuel economy. Hope others may find this useful.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
FYI, that's not an ECU reset - it simply erases the driver-adaptive learning of the TCU. If you continue to drive in the manner that you always have, it will eventually re-learn your driving style and go back to the way it was.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1^
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 w220
Mikischu, after the ecu reset, were you able to keep the good mileage? Ie. 11 lt/100km? My s350 is averaging at. 16-17lk/100km. Which is no where near right, I have changed the MaF SENSOR. BUT no improvement, so doing the ecu reset. Hope it helps, let me know if there are other things which help improve mileage. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Of course, this thread is ~2.5 years old, but I've said it before and I'll say it again:
when I drive somewhat 'aggressively', my mileage gets better by 1-3 mpg. This has been consistent for years. Yes, it does, and fine with me! No one can explain.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Quickly accelerating to your cruising speed will result in better MPG than slowly accelerating. Of course this doesn't mean "flooring it" from a takeoff, just not driving like a grandma. Oh, and it's only valid for when you reach and then stay at a fairly constant cruising speed - if you run 0-60-0 between traffic lights, you're going to kill your economy.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Banned

/
Rudeny, you are right of course, it seems logical... but this flies in the face of logic.
I'm just talking about the humdrum stop-and-go; pushing it between lights, maybe a little fishtailing, and that trip gets a better reading.
Wife has been driving it for the last month, and doesn't drive "like me", and mpg is predictably lower. Around here I rarely have an opportunity to go more than a couple of blocks before stopping again, with speed limits of 35, 45, 50. 'Normal drive' ~17; but push it, then ~18.5-19. All my info is just determined trip-by-trip on the dash computer, though.
Get ~25 if I can keep it at speed for at least several miles, so in that regard you are correct.
I hope it's not just me trying to justify 'hot rodding'! In any case, I'm not complaining...far from it!

And Rodney, thank you for all the super information and help you always offer to the members. Priceless! Uh, is this forum your full time job?
Most respectfully, and I mean it,
Happy weekend!
Jerry
Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Jerryswfl
Rudeny, you are right of course, it seems logical... but this flies in the face of logic.
I'm just talking about the humdrum stop-and-go; pushing it between lights, maybe a little fishtailing, and that trip gets a better reading.

If you're hammering it between lights, and slamming on the brakes, then I'm surprised you're getting better MPG. But if you're just hammering on start, then backing off the accelerator almost immediately, then that's pretty much how it works - WOT when the engine is doing its hardest work give the best economy.

Wife has been driving it for the last month, and doesn't drive "like me", and mpg is predictably lower.
I get in my wife's Jeep GC and it will show 16.. After I drive for just an outing to dinner, accelerating more aggressively, it's up to 17-18mpg.

Around here I rarely have an opportunity to go more than a couple of blocks before stopping again, with speed limits of 35, 45, 50. 'Normal drive' ~17; but push it, then ~18.5-19. All my info is just determined trip-by-trip on the dash computer, though.
Get ~25 if I can keep it at speed for at least several miles, so in that regard you are correct.
I hope it's not just me trying to justify 'hot rodding'! In any case, I'm not complaining...far from it!

If you stay on the throttle through higher speeds, you'll kill it. If you ever get a change to do any 100mph+ driving, you'll really see it suck some fuel.

And Rodney, thank you for all the super information and help you always offer to the members. Priceless! Uh, is this forum your full time job?
Most respectfully, and I mean it,
Happy weekend!
Jerry
I should be so lucky to have such a great job! No, just a hobby!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by Rudeney
But if you're just hammering on start, then backing off the accelerator almost immediately, then that's pretty much how it works - WOT when the engine is doing its hardest work give the best economy. There, that makes sense, and I'll stop wondering about it.

I get in my wife's Jeep GC and it will show 16.. After I drive for just an outing to dinner, accelerating more aggressively, it's up to 17-18mpg. That's it! Wives should not be allow.... never mind.

I should be so lucky to have such a great job! No, just a hobby!
Well, keep it up! Thanks again!