CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pufftrees CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
that looks cLEANNN
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
smoke your tails!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Got pointed over to Ace Alloy's Facebook page and they have a picture of my car up front

Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM

e63 NA
Hey thanks for the comments

Okay, exhaust time!

I went through, as of 2/25/2013, 5 different exhaust iterations and I probably am not done hehe. Hopefully someone can learn from my experiences, as the exhaust was the first mod I did the sound was what you could expect starting from stock.

First Exhaust: Res + 2nd Cat Delete (Highly Recommend)

Okay, first thing I did was remove the resonators and secondary cats. This mod was highly advised by all the forum vets and they were certainly right. I couldn't imagine owning a CLK500 without doing this (maybe difficult in Cali). Under load the car sounds like a pure AMG should and wasn't droney at all.

Here is a picture of the underbelly without the cats/res

Pufftrees CLK500-6sg0m8h.jpg

Okay now note that all following exhaust setups have both the 2ndary cats and resonators removed. This instantly makes all future setups significantly louder than if those were in there still.

Second Exhaust: Magnaflow Muffler (single in double out) + Res/Cat DEL

So I wanted to remove the stock muffler and replace with a magnaflow. I chose a single in and double out, with each exhaust tip connected to an out. Wow, the car was loud as hell! There was serious drone in the 1100-1300 RPM range, but luckily that was low enough in rpm range you could burn through it quick and into the real mean sound. The car sounded heavily modified at that point, definitely couldn't recognize it as a benz but it was loud and nasty.

Pufftrees CLK500-ksp2gp5.jpg

Third Setup: Quad Exhaust with Same Magnaflow Y where resonators were

Okay as you could see in above picture I moved onto a quad exhaust setup and put it on right after I installed the difuser. My exhaust guy is awesome, and we decided to use the same muffler I had before, but now move it from the original mufflers location to the mid center of the underbelly. The piping from the exhaust manifold comes together and enters the Y, then piping run out of each of the rear outs. Each pipe is extended out to dual AMG tips. This sounds Fantastic! I would recommend this setup for someone that wanted a mean V8 sound that this car can really deliver. There is drone, at about 2000-2200 RPM which again can be annoying, the only downfall of this setup imo. Of course the cold starts can wake up the neighbors if you aren't careful

Pufftrees CLK500-cra6qvu.jpg
Pufftrees CLK500-ogyslwr.jpg
Pufftrees CLK500-pinmv3u.jpg
Pufftrees CLK500-kask6q6.jpg

Fourth Setup: X-Pipe Into Quad Tips

Here is the latest incarnation of my exhaust. I recently installed an e55 airbox and the car is taking in a LOT more air. SO much that the ECU isn't auto adjusting. The car also is rumbling like a 57 chevy but I am getting it tuned tomorrow actually. So basically the idea here was to remove the Y magnaflow muffler and replace it with just an X-pipe. These would go off to the quad exhaust as they were in the previous exhaust. I can't quite evaluate this yet but OMG... on start it spits out some nasty **** . It sounds like a c63 or something right when fired up, a snarly sound that snaps right at you. Well I guess it's expected as I basically have straight pipe now haha.

Pufftrees CLK500-fn1liwk.jpg

More review after tune tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM

e63 NA
Hey guys, got my tune put on today. No time to discuss the results yet but I think these pictures are funny. Eurocharged (just great to work with) does remote tuning now. When I purchased their ECU upgrade they sent me a cable (thats it). The cable connects a computer to your car essentially.

Well, my laptop has been driving me a little bonkers. It's work related and recently refreshed, so I couldn't get admin rights. So they couldn't login remotely. I've been meaning to get a tablet so I figured that would work fine but then after getting home I realize... the remote login program needs windows and wont work for Android. ****! I needed to get this tune done and I was only home for lunch with a 2 o'clock meeting pending.. what to do?

Well I drug my off computer out into the garage and plugged it all in there

Pufftrees CLK500-v8cmf3p.jpg
Pufftrees CLK500-7vsjrgc.jpg

The sun was bleaming so I couldn't get the best angle.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM

e63 NA
Got the car at Autohaus for general servicing. Original plan was to get the tranny flushed and do an oil change but with the new found excited of my intake (still running lean, engine light on) I am having them focus their attention on these issues.

I will most likely also replace the Plugs... I am not sure when they were ever replaced and I suspect they aren't helping my situation. Car running lean and then old plugs not igniting the mixture properly (well that's my initial hypothesis).

Anyways, I can't wait to get my baby back and hopefully everything takes just right. Will update this weekend once I get her back.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM

e63 NA
So it turns out part of my suspicion was correct.

My plugs were pretty much shot. As the plug wears down over time the spark has to jump further to make the right ignition. Even with 2 plugs per cylinder mine were pretty old. The combination of the new intake sucking in way more air and the old plugs combined for cylinder 1 and 6 having misfiring codes.

I'm replacing the plugs atm, getting the engine coolant and tranny flushed. Hoping to get it back this afternoon. Will definitely post some sound clips once she's healthy...

No Cats/Resonator + X-pipe into quad tips is vicious sounding!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM

e63 NA
Got the car back! I am a little excited

Okay so as I of 2/28/2013 the current setup has:

Eurocharged ECU
E55 Intake + K/N Filters + Kevlar Intake Tubes
Res + Cat delete
Magnaflow Xpipe into quad c63 rep tips

On top of up to date servicing - tranny, coolant, oil filters, plugs, couple coils, vacuum tubes etc

Verdict: Beastmode!

Too late here to post any sound clips but I certainly will. The car has way more torque than when I had it stock. Even with 275 rear I could feel it about to break loose. I haven't even really put it under WOT yet (just taken it on a couple drives tonight).

There is absolutely no drone (I guess expected without muffler perhaps). When I am driving, if I am not downshifting or already at high rpm, if I let off the throttle it almost goes silent. At idle it still has a mean sound but it is actually tame compared to the magnaflow muffler. On start you hear that SNAP, which I can only describe from c63 str8 pipe videos hehe. Everything about the acceleration is much more smooth. From the very start to even high gear on highway it seems to do what I want to nearly instantly.

Under engine load it just sounds so vicious, as you can imagine with upgraded airflow and no muffler or resonator or cat. I won't bother trying to describe it much more but it definitely is more of a high pitch snappy sound but it just amazing! Sound clip by this weekend hopefully.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Pufftrees.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM

CLS63sAMG|CLK550Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Hey thanks Midnight!

Yea... I really love the Vossen CV3. I told myself once they were available on 19 I was going to be one of the first with them. I also got quite interested in the forgestar CF5 and more recently CF10 and CF5v. The one thing they turned me off from the Vossens was that I feel they are a little too "sharp". They aren't as curvy as I would like. I prefer the concavity profile on the Ace. I think the way the 5 spokes on the ace blend in size also lends itself more the lines on a CLK. Forgestar are so nice too but in the end I strayed away. The ace are a few hundred dollars cheaper also (I'm sure quality is lost for the difference but I'm no racer).

Okay here are a few pics... I've been sick so only took some at the store getting medicine lol. Will get more soon... and hopefully get my tune on! I am debating on getting a drop, that shot from the front is exaggerated gap in the front fender due to the angled driveway, but I could probably still use some Blistein 1.1/1.2 would be ideal. But honestly with all the inclined driveways and **** I might just leave it. You can get an idea of the tire gap in the other pictures.

Sorry no Direct side shots yet lol

In the same boat. Fell in love with the CV3 but after seeing the 19 in person I noticed they are not as concave as I would like. I'm leaning towards the Ace Couture but wanted to low what offset are you running?

19*8.5 ET?
19*10 ET?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK & GL
I'm running et20 front, et25 rear... I believe pufftrees is running 30 all around
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by kbahl21
I'm running et20 front, et25 rear... I believe pufftrees is running 30 all around
Yea Kbahl is correct, I went with 30 all around. I wonder what jp196400 put on his silver one.

I was more nervous about them sticking out too much instead of not being too aggressive. The way I figured was I could always add spacers to reduce offset but if they stuck out too far to begin with then I would be up a creek.

In hindsight, with the 275 profile tire they don't stick out. To me it looks like you can fit a 285 there (might try next time). 25 would probably be perfect but I am really happy with 30 all around.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM

CLS63sAMG|CLK550Cabriolet
Thanks guys! The wheels definitely make your cars look better! I'm leaning towards the most aggressive and concave offset!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK & GL
that would be mine, but you will need to stiffen up the rear suspension and roll the fenders, best bet would be to do et. 28 rear, that may stop the wheels from rubbing without having to touch the suspension (im also running -3degrees camber in the rear with the ghost rider camber kit). PM and ill give you my connect at ACE that can help you out with everything.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

2004 CLK 55
Lets hear a soundclip!

Car looks great btw
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM

e63 NA
Been trying to get a sound clip on my smart phone, haven't had good luck. Just tried again and said eff it. So here is a sound clip Sorry the camera falls down half way but the sound is why you watch, right?!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM

e63 NA
It sounds like an animal under WOT, I need to get a go-pro going, or at least some accelerating vids.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV

And, if you understand what this license plate means you get +5 points in my book.
good game no rematch??

Last edited by eddieo45; 04-14-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by eddieo45
good game no rematch??
Winner! Nice job haha. There are a lot of pro gamers here in Az so GGNORE was taken and I had to add the extra E. Appropriate after a kill also, but most people wouldn't get it that are out racing lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM

CLK
do you think it would sound the same without the dual pipes. I really want to cut off my muffler and its good to hear you dont have any real drone.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by Jhuey
do you think it would sound the same without the dual pipes. I really want to cut off my muffler and its good to hear you dont have any real drone.
Good question, I can't really say. The closest I've had to no muffler is the current setup which just has X-pipe instead and no resonators. The first thing I did was take out the resonators so every exhaust mod I've done has had the noise level amplified by this and in turn more drone. Depending on the type of sound you are looking for, removing or replacing the OEM muffler can make a huge difference and/or the resonator and cat delete. I've heard a lot of nice sounding CLKs that didn't do the quad exhaust so I wouldn't get hung up on that, but I certainly had drone with magnaflow muffler combined with my resonator removal.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

e63 NA
Took the car on my first little road trip: a cruise to Las Vegas which is about 4hr 30 minutes away.

Had 2 passengers, the girl in backseat was about 5'10" so I was wondering how comfortable she would be. The trip has a lot of elevation changes, driving for long periods up the side of mountain and then coasting down for miles. Overall the drive itself was very uneventful which was great. I actually got decent gas mileage on the trip, just under 25mpg (24.6 or so) and was cruising 65-80 the whole way. The passengers were comfy and I felt fine... so overall I give it a good rating for a road trip. It's not an E class but it definitely took the trip like a Mercedes should.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
looks good! sounds good too! Got a link to where you got the quad tips?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

CLK
Good question, I can't really say. The closest I've had to no muffler is the current setup which just has X-pipe instead and no resonators. The first thing I did was take out the resonators so every exhaust mod I've done has had the noise level amplified by this and in turn more drone. Depending on the type of sound you are looking for, removing or replacing the OEM muffler can make a huge difference and/or the resonator and cat delete. I've heard a lot of nice sounding CLKs that didn't do the quad exhaust so I wouldn't get hung up on that, but I certainly had drone with magnaflow muffler combined with my resonator removal.

Ok Thanks. I currently have no secondary cats and no resonator with a magnaflow. Some people have said it has a little drone but I honestly dont notice it. Looks like I am on your path just a couple steps behind haha. I guess worst case I can always go back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pufftrees CLK500