CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pufftrees CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Pufftrees CLK500

Hello Everyone,

Finally getting around to doing some mods so here is my story. Just as a disclaimer, all of these mods have been done before by someone on this very forum. And I must say thank you for paving the way !!!

There is honestly too many people to thank, but I think just about everyone who frequents the w209 forum has helped me over the past year at some point, so thanks again!

So, what is my car goal?
Well, I'm not a big track guy. I enjoy watching racing but I'm not overly concerned with handling. I live in Phoenix so every road is a grid, I never even make a turn that's not 90 degrees! I do live a few miles from ASU which has 75000 college kids, so I am concerned with it looking nice, staying clean, and standing out. I also enjoy straight line acceleration with a mean v8 sound, maybe burning a little rubber
So, look good, sound mean, and have some *****, thats the goal!

I've been hoarding some mods so here is a little teaser
Name:  D8sFI.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  32.7 KB

SHOW
Ok let's start with the looks.

1. Clear sidemarkers + debadge
First thing that bugged me with this car was the orange sidemarkers. I like the look of the clear on my side view mirrors, so I ordered a pair off ebay. MAKE SURE you order ones that won't throw a code (they will let you know on the site). I also chose to debadge... let's get it straight, this isn't to have people 'think' I have an AMG. My small calipers will let them know that ~ I really prefer the clean look... see diffuser pic below

2. Tint
Right now I still have the legal limit in AZ but the two different colors bugs me. Planning to go with 20 percent all around, will update a shot once this is fixed.

3. Suvneer Frontlip
Wow this thing is freaking awesome. Gives the entire front end a mean look, and to my surprise it is actually functional. I noticed way less drag on the highway and was even getting slightly better MPG on my highway runs. Thanks Gary@suvneer!! I had Tracy's Autobody in Tempe put this on... I am sure you can do this yourself... did I mention I'm not very handy yet ? My guy said it was a very clean and easy fit... I have to be careful now on steep entryways.
Name:  kfwO3.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.8 KB

4. VIS Diffuser
Debated heavily on the diffuser. Couldn't decide whether to simply cut my bumper, get a new rear bumper 63, or get a diffuser. Really liked the Vath and BS ones but they are very pricey and a little too large anyways. I went with VIS and talked with eric@supremepower. This thing was shipped right away and it was packaged like the holy grail. Very impressive would definitely recommend these guys.
Had Tracy's autobody in Tempe put this on. I referenced many great threads with installation pics using 3M tape or other epoxy, thanks again guys for providing great info. My guy ended up using an epoxy though and it is 100 percent part of the rear bumper now. He literally grabbed it and started yanking it up and pulling my entire bumper... I was like YO CHILL lol but its really solid. And, if you understand what this license plate means you get +5 points in my book.

Name:  JFAPN.jpg
Size:  51.6 KB

5. Wheels
Well, this kind of a strange portion. The previous owner fit 20x8.5 all around on the car... not the most functional but I was surprised on how well they actually ride. I've had a staggered 19" setup on the top of my list for a while now, but for some reason these damn wheels keep sticking around They are really so unique and extreme eye candy... the black and chrome really can't have pictures do them justice. And at night, good lord they are sick. The front have spacer so they sit very flush, the rear don't and that looks bad to a car guy. I've held back on putting spacers in rear because I've been planning on getting a new setup... did I mention this is a strange portion. The fact that everyone I meet really loves them in person has helped me keep these on, I've certainly liked them.

Wheel pic from last spring
Attachment 449186

Okay here is her as of 12/21/12

I'll reserve the next post for the performance aspect, hope you enjoy!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM

e63 NA
Reserved for performance portion, stay 'tuned'
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
lookin good man....but u should drop it like its hoT~
Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM

e63 NA
Hey thanks sleepy. Yea, I've been waiting to get H/R Sport springs, was going to get them in conjunction with the 19s. But I realize now my driveway is actually "steep" and have to be very careful not to rub my front lip. Right now I make it with like a centimeter away from rubbing so a drop isn't going to work atm. It's not out of the question yet though!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Looks good. Clean clk.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
you better change those wheels or I'm gonna hunt you down !lol
nice car man.. I live in Scottsdale
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Looks good
New wheels and a drop will do a lot for you imo
Good luck with the build, Can't wait to see whats next
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by ahmadk
you better change those wheels or I'm gonna hunt you down !lol
nice car man.. I live in Scottsdale
haha

I figure there were some in the surrounding area, nice to know you are in Scottsdale. Do you ever do Cars/Coffee at Doubletree/Scottsdale road? I am pretty new to the area but was up there one time with my buddys car.

I actually tried to replace the wheels recently with c63 reps but the ones from powerwheelspro now don't come with the AMG engraving so they look cheaper then I'd like. I was deadset on forgestar for the longest time but decided to be more frugal. The hunt for wheels continues, but in the meantime I'll ride around on these "chrome blades" lol

Betrezra and Peydiddy thanks for the comments. Betrezra you car is a complete beast and provided inspiration and I love your threads pey!

Last edited by Pufftrees; 12-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL600
Looks nice but why not remove the front plate?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 PM

White CLK550
I am not a huge fan of chrome wheels... with that said... I love the way your car looks along with the wheels

I think it looks extremely clean... if I were you I would keep the wheels!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by Pufftrees

I actually tried to replace the wheels recently with c63 reps but the ones from powerwheelspro now don't come with the AMG engraving so they look cheaper then I'd like. !
Mine came with the AMG engraving....just bought these two weeks ago. These are not from powerwheelspro,

Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 PM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by Capn
Looks nice but why not remove the front plate?
I've debated removing it quite a bit but decided to keep it since it goes with the chrome/black look. I would remove it if I change wheels.

Originally Posted by CLK550 $wagger
I am not a huge fan of chrome wheels... with that said... I love the way your car looks along with the wheels

I think it looks extremely clean... if I were you I would keep the wheels!
Hey thanks bud I never really thought chrome was for me and planned to change but for some reason it just works on this car. The 8.5 in the back needs changing though so these probably won't last... haha i've said that a few times

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Mine came with the AMG engraving....just bought these two weeks ago.
Ya Andy, the pics you posted recently put me over the top on getting those. I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't get them. PM me with where you got yours please, so I can continue my internal debate~
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Pm'ed
Old 12-25-2012, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
haha

I figure there were some in the surrounding area, nice to know you are in Scottsdale. Do you ever do Cars/Coffee at Doubletree/Scottsdale road? I am pretty new to the area but was up there one time with my buddys car.

I actually tried to replace the wheels recently with c63 reps but the ones from powerwheelspro now don't come with the AMG engraving so they look cheaper then I'd like. I was deadset on forgestar for the longest time but decided to be more frugal. The hunt for wheels continues, but in the meantime I'll ride around on these "chrome blades" lol

Betrezra and Peydiddy thanks for the comments. Betrezra you car is a complete beast and provided inspiration and I love your threads pey!

Nope never been there since I'm in the imports scene at the moment but hopefully I'll buy a benz by the summer and get back in the game lol
Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by ahmadk
Nope never been there since I'm in the imports scene at the moment but hopefully I'll buy a benz by the summer and get back in the game lol
hurry...hurry.. lol
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
hurry...hurry.. lol
working on it! lol
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Looks real clean, keep it up!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM

e63 NA
I finally bit the bullet and ordered some new wheels. It wasn't for aesthetics, I really do like the look of these 20's. The main problem was that I had non-hubcentric spacers up front to clear the calipers, but the tires on front are SOOO thin in order to fit. I am running 225-30-20 which isn't exactly "safe". The rim protrudes a bit out of the tire. The non staggered setup also sucked because I only had rubber for 245 rear.

So I had to finally use my brain, although I had a good 15 months use out of these attractive wheels.

Ordered a set of 19x8.5/10 with 30 offets and 235/35/19 275/30/19. They will be ready next week so I won't spoil it until they are on

Also putting the Eurocharged tune on next week so I will update the thread with my exhaust/intake/tune experience.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Which wheels are we talking about here ? Pics please....
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM

e63 NA
Hehe are you asking about the new wheels? No fun if I show retail pics, I will share once they arrive next week

A forum member has them on his CLK
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
hahaha okie
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

e63 NA
Just got the wheels put on!

Ride is so much better and smooth, finally feels like a benz should as far as ride quality.

The place that details my car was closed though, and I don't want to post pics when its dirty.

The wheels I went with are Ace Alloy Couture:
http://www.acealloywheel.com/AE-Desi...es_1_1072.html

Same wheels Kbahl had on his white CLK. The guys at Ace even made sure I knew of his car. Really loving the look of the 10" rear with 275. I will post some pictures tomorrow!

Last edited by Pufftrees; 02-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 PM

e63 NA
Okay, one little picture for now

Name:  Dt155Mk.jpg
Size:  19.2 KB
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM

CLK 550
nice car pufftrees!

im looking forward to seeing what your rims look like on a black clk!

they are very similar to vossen wheels (my fave right now)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM

e63 NA
Hey thanks Midnight!

Yea... I really love the Vossen CV3. I told myself once they were available on 19 I was going to be one of the first with them. I also got quite interested in the forgestar CF5 and more recently CF10 and CF5v. The one thing they turned me off from the Vossens was that I feel they are a little too "sharp". They aren't as curvy as I would like. I prefer the concavity profile on the Ace. I think the way the 5 spokes on the ace blend in size also lends itself more the lines on a CLK. Forgestar are so nice too but in the end I strayed away. The ace are a few hundred dollars cheaper also (I'm sure quality is lost for the difference but I'm no racer).

Okay here are a few pics... I've been sick so only took some at the store getting medicine lol. Will get more soon... and hopefully get my tune on! I am debating on getting a drop, that shot from the front is exaggerated gap in the front fender due to the angled driveway, but I could probably still use some Blistein 1.1/1.2 would be ideal. But honestly with all the inclined driveways and **** I might just leave it. You can get an idea of the tire gap in the other pictures.

Sorry no Direct side shots yet lol
Name:  EtdOJPY.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  154.1 KB
Name:  jY50IAN.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  272.4 KB
Name:  10NsWFK.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  765.2 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pufftrees CLK500