CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Winter Washer Fluid - What do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
Winter Washer Fluid - What do you guys use?

Spending the winter in a cold-*** climate and thinking that the standard auto parts store fluid I use might freeze up.

I know the OEM bimmer and benz fluids have alcohol in them, but wondering what you guys use, that might be a more economical option.

Cheers,

~ Bill
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I like the MBZ fluid. The summer mix comes in a small vial that you mix with a gallon of water - it's very convenient to keep a handful in the garage. I think it's good down to 0 Fahrenheit. If you need anything better, then MBZ does sell a "winter mix", but it's very expensive, sold in one (or larger?) gallon containers as a concentrate. Of course it would probably last a lifetime.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I like the MBZ fluid. The summer mix comes in a small vial that you mix with a gallon of water - it's very convenient to keep a handful in the garage. I think it's good down to 0 Fahrenheit. If you need anything better, then MBZ does sell a "winter mix", but it's very expensive, sold in one (or larger?) gallon containers as a concentrate. Of course it would probably last a lifetime.
Had not really thought about this. So you can not use the the std blue stuff from pep boys etc?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209(sold), W212, X204
I'm interested to know as well. What kind of issues are associated with using the generic blue stuff? I just filled up the whole washer reservoir with generic stuff from autozone lol
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
What? You suggest using "blue stuff" from Pep Boys in your MERCEDES?!? Seriously, I just find the small concentrated vials from MBZ to be convenient and it seems to work better than the cheap stuff from WalMart, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. Price wise, I guess it's more expensive, but we're talking, what a few dollars a gallon? For me, I buy half a dozen vials of MBZ concentrate and keep it in a cabinet in the garage and it lasts for a year or so among three vehicles. So what if it's $20 instead of $6?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Eojj
What kind of issues are associated with using the generic blue stuff?
I notice three things with using the MB fluid:
--The nozzles never plug up (maybe just my luck).
--I like the "sudsy" action that the MB fluid provides, which makes you use less fluid and it cleans really well.
--It does not leave a messy residue (streaks) on you car after using.
As for the original question, I do not use the winter blend fluid as my car is garaged and I am in a warmer climate.
Mike T.