CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stereo upgrade 2007 CLK 550

Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'07 CLK 550 Coupe
Front Speaker Replacement

Hi Rodney,

I was hoping you could question for me. I bought some JBL 3 way speakers for the front (on sale on Amazon for $60/pair). I was told since I'm powering the front speakers from the radio, I'd get better sound by replacing the stock component with 6 1/2" 2 way or 3 way's. Not sure if that's necessarily true, but honestly I don't really care. I'm totally fine with having 4 good speakers and my pioneer head unit. I took my driver side door panel and replaced the speaker closest to the front of the car. (Green and green with brown on your diagram) The problem is there is no cross over in the door. The main speaker and the tweeter run separately into a harness and then into the car somewhere. Now I have to find the cross-over to bypass it. If not, I'll have to run new speaker wires from the door to the head unit. Not the end of the world, but I prefer to avoid it. Which leads me to my question.

1- Where are the crossover's located in the car?

Also, I disconnected the battery just to make sure I didn't accidentally set off the air bag in the door. The problem is now things don't function properly like my drivers side window and sun roof. Are there any commands or key sequences that I can do to restore settings?

Thanks Rodney!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Unless you are replacing the sail panel tweeter, you don't need to worry about the crossover.

As for the window and sunroof issues, you just need to re-normalize them. For each one, open it halfway, then hold each switch fully in the close position until the glass closed, and continue to hold for 5 seconds. This should also be covered in your owner's manual
Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'07 CLK 550 Coupe
Thanks Rodney. But I'm not sure what you mean by the sail tweeter. There is only one tweeter and I'm bypassing it all together. Or if my Pioneer can power a component system just fine I'll replace both the mid and the tweeter. That means ill run new wires directly from the front speakers to the head unit. Again, not looking for a powerful system, just a good, clean sound.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Only thing I can add is I picked up my 07 CLK cab from storage yesteday and the stereo is terrible compared to my 2010 E. I upgraded the 4 door speakers and tweeters to Alpines last year and it's better but no comparison. I know it it's not a fair compare, but do wish it was better
Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The sail tweeter is the one on the corner of the window - directly behind the side mirror, shaped like a triangular sail.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLK w209 stereo upgrade

I'm planning to change my dash to an aftermarket one. I'm glad to read through this thread and learn that the Android base head unit from China is garbage. So now I can move on to choose a single/double din stereo deck. I read about "can bus" in many upgrade threads, do I need to find a head unit that support can bus? I just wanted to replace the head unit and keeping all my existing HK setup. Thx
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
You can keep the HK speakers, but not the amp - it uses a fiber optic bus. You will need to install analog siring from the dash to the trunk and tap into the speaker wiring there. The CAN bus comes into play if you want the retain the steering wheel controls - you'll need an adapter that can read the signals from the CAN bus sent by the steering wheel buttons and translate them to the remote control input of whatever head unit you install.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e300
I suggest this one:
http://www.seicane.com/seicane-s1275...-flash-s127508
Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM

2007 Clk550 Cabriolet
Upgrading command center to Seicane headunit

I too was thinking of upgrading my '07 Clk550 to stream music using Bluetooth. I am pretty satisfied with the performance of my HK speakers (although I think I could use a little more bass)

I was looking at upgrading the head unit with one of these units from Seicane. Has anyone had any experience with these or let me know what you think?

http://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car-d...benz/clk-class
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 PM

2007 Clk550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by alainy
This is exactly the one I was thinking of getting myself. Do you have it? Did you upgrade the speakers as well or just the head unit?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS 63 AMG
Android all-in-one DVD/navigation system. You can find them on Aliexpress, but be very careful, you have to give the seller your stock audio dimensions, as well as Car information (year/model etc...)

I'm getting one fitted next week and cannot wait - I can use the Korean free navigation GPS program called T-MAP, as well as having bluetooth / iphone integration, wheel remote controls, and because it's Android, I can tether LTE from my phone and download apps from the playstore. Because you can choose the audio program, you can choose one with multi band EQ and change the sound settings, etc.... So much clutter will be gone since everything will be integrated into this single system. Plus it looks STOCK!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 AM

CLK350
Not quite related, but close enough. For the HK system that doesn't have the hookup for a aux at the passenger seat, would it be possible to wire up my own aux input by soldering some wires to the back of the head unit or amp? All I really care about is having that mini jack aux input, but I can't find any wiring diagrams or similar solutions online. There must be a connection somewhere since there is an aux option on the display?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I thought all of the cars with the HK system had the AUX input. If not, I believe all you have to do is buy the wiring kit and connect it. I know there has been some discussion of this in the forum - search for "AUX". Also check benzworld - maybe I've seen it discussed over there.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:50 AM

CLK350
Thanks for your reply.
I have done quite a bit of research, and what I learned is that some do have the option for an aux, and some don't. If you open up the cable gland on the passenger side floor by the door frame, there supposed to be a "loose" wire with a white harness that you can hook the wiring kit up to. Mine doesn't have that. There are 4 blue wires leading into a black harness though, but I'm not sure what that is for. Either way I'm thinking that wherever those wires with the white harness supposed to come from, it has to be plugged in somewhere either on the head unit, amp or not as likely the cd changer. If I can only find out where that is or wich connector points to use, I could wire up my own aux cable I you catch my drift. Do you have any idea how to find out by any chance?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's a connector on the back of the head unit. I'm not sure what pins it uses, but maybe another enterprising forum member has done this? I seem to recall this being discussed on the forum before.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
FWIW mine didn't have that either. It was a pain to find that out after I had the oem aux jack ready to install. I ended up getting the mCar audio Bluetooth device which works like a charm except I can't find a good mic which doesn't pic up all the background and road noise. I've tried other mics including pioneer ones but if someone knows which one to get that would be the last piece of the puzzle before I go add a sub and amp to this HK system.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Same results here with mCar - the mic is terrible for hands-free phone calls. I am going to try to tap into the factory mic.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 AM

CLK350
Thanks for your relply Rodney.
Nero, you mentioned that you had the same problem with the six jack. How did you install it eventually? Don't you still need an aux input for the mCar Bluetooth unit?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The mCar talks over the fiber optic network, so it does not need an AUX input. It replaces and emulates the CD changer. It gives you a USB jack to plug in an iPod or thumb drive for music. It also offers Bluetooth, for hands-free phone and audio streaming.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
FWIW, my 2005 CLK has HK system, came with Audio-20 and it did NOT have the Aux jack anywhere. I got the iPod kit from MB and it has worked pretty well. It's a clunky interface trying to pick songs from the steering wheel, but sound is good, I seem to recall that using this gives you digital sound vs. analog from the Aux jack but I could be wrong.

Oddly, I had read that the iPod kit wouldn't charge things but the 4S in my glovebox goes mpotnhs just fine, definitely charging.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:15 PM

2009 CLK350
Hi all, I have a CLK 350 2009 and am putting a new head unit in and unfortunately must run wire from the dash to the trunk to bypass the old head fiber optics and amp. Not being too familiar with a Mercedes, and before I start removing the entire interior, any suggestions on the easiest wire route? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2016, 12:07 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Remove the trim on the door sill and pull the carpet back. You will fine a very nice plastic channel to run your wiring. It goes all the way to the trunk.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM

2009 CLK350
Rodney, much appreciated.
I have gotten as far as removing the OEM head unit a couple of times for fitting and testing of the other; just need those speaker wires from the trunk. thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ny2cali21
FYI for all those with the Harmon Kardon system, you can simply change out the head unit. It sounds fantastic with just the 4 stock speakers in use (front an rear). I was concerned about the component system sounding muffled because it's getting a direct feed from the head unit but turns out it's not a problem at all. While I wish someone had already posted this, I love a good challenge and am excited I finally figured it out. P.S. The wiring diagram I got from Crutch*eld was incorrect. Their info about the 2007 CLK 550 is incorrect as they also stated the amp was on the opposite side. I let their tech department know. So thank you again Rodney!!! I'll post a clean reply on this thread on what to do if you simply want to change out the head unit.
Ny2cali21, how are you able to just replace the head units on the HK system? I thought you will need to remove fibre optic wiring and re-wire all speakers, amp, and sub? thx
Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 PM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by Pdwes
Thanks for your reply.
I have done quite a bit of research, and what I learned is that some do have the option for an aux, and some don't. If you open up the cable gland on the passenger side floor by the door frame, there supposed to be a "loose" wire with a white harness that you can hook the wiring kit up to. Mine doesn't have that. There are 4 blue wires leading into a black harness though, but I'm not sure what that is for. Either way I'm thinking that wherever those wires with the white harness supposed to come from, it has to be plugged in somewhere either on the head unit, amp or not as likely the cd changer. If I can only find out where that is or wich connector points to use, I could wire up my own aux cable I you catch my drift. Do you have any idea how to find out by any chance?
Just an update, I've had succes trying to locate the pins assigned to the aux input and was able to wire the rest up so I now have a functioning aux in. I hope it can help others that have this frustrating problem.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade 2007 CLK 550