CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

OEM bixenon ... curve lighting??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 550
OEM bixenon ... curve lighting??

Hi all -

I came across something interesting on ebay. Apparently there are some models of OEM bixenon that do NOT have curved lighting? I thought ALL OEM bixenon had curved lighting ....

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? (no pun intended) lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bi-Xenon-HID-Headlight-Headlamp-Driver-Side-Left-Hand-LH-for-MB-CLK-Class-/370905090318?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565baa890e&vxp=mtr
Also .... are the bixenon's just plug and play? (i.e. swap one light out for another?) or so I have to buy ballast, auto leveling equipment etc?

paging rudeney!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
That is correct - active curve illumination or "steerable" lighting came out in MY2006. Are you trying to upgrade factory halogen headlights with HIDs, or do you have a a bad HID light on your car you need to fix?

If you want to upgrade, they are plug and play except you will need to get the car coded for them. And you won't get use of the leveling or active curve features. There is a way to add a "canceller", but that's very complicated to install on OEM lights - if you don't have access to SDS or don't want to pay the dealer for coding, then you are better off getting aftermarket lights, like the DEPO quad projectors that "fishcake" sells.

If you are replacing a bad HID headlight, just make sure you get one with active curve if you have a MY2006 or later. That should be plug and play.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 PM

CLK 550
thanks rodney for the useful weigh in..

I have clk550 2009 with OEM bixenons that came with the car. I have an extra passenger side bixenon that's been sitting in my garage (excellent condition) and wanted to purchase a driver side bixenon and get both of them baked open and painted inside satin black (my new project)!

it sounds like if I just purchase an OEM bixenon with active light cornering should be a quick swap..

once I'm done ... my stock OEM bixenon (MINT MINT condition) will be up for sale! I say mint because I slapped laminex on them as soon as I got the car (purchased brand new in 2009)
Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 PM

2005 CLK500
Active curve Lighting

Rodney I hope you see this reply because your original response is a few years old. Your response (quoted below) is as close to the answer I am looking for in my searches. I bought an 05 CLK500 with Bi-xenon headlights. They desperately need replacing. My question has been how do I know if I have active curve lighting if the active curve may not be working? Your response below to another user says active curve lighting was implemented in MY2006. Is it safe to say that my MY2005 CLK500 doesn't have active lighting?

CK

Originally Posted by Rudeney
That is correct - active curve illumination or "steerable" lighting came out in MY2006. Are you trying to upgrade factory halogen headlights with HIDs, or do you have a a bad HID light on your car you need to fix?

If you want to upgrade, they are plug and play except you will need to get the car coded for them. And you won't get use of the leveling or active curve features. There is a way to add a "canceller", but that's very complicated to install on OEM lights - if you don't have access to SDS or don't want to pay the dealer for coding, then you are better off getting aftermarket lights, like the DEPO quad projectors that "fishcake" sells.

If you are replacing a bad HID headlight, just make sure you get one with active curve if you have a MY2006 or later. That should be plug and play.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If you are in the USA (please update your forum user's profile so we'll know!) then you do not have curve illumination on a MY2005.