CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 glove box issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
CLK 320 glove box issue

Just bought a 04 CLK 320. The glove box does not latch. I can not find parts or squat on a fix. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Convertible or coupe? They are a bit different and it may matter.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
And I can tell you in advance that the part mounted on the car is pretty simple - the more complex part is in the the door and not avialable separately, so if that is broken you have to buy the whole door for about the price of a small English castle.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:01 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by Yidney
Convertible or coupe? They are a bit different and it may matter.
Coupe

And I can tell you in advance that the part mounted on the car is pretty simple - the more complex part is in the the door and not available separately, so if that is broken you have to buy the whole door for about the price of a small English castle.
I did gather that the shop was going to charge me my first born. How can I tell which is malfunctioning? I found the door parts online finally. Are you saying I will not be able install them? Thanks for the assist
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
What did you find online? Post a link. What I'm saying is that the latch in the door is not separate from the door. As for what is wrong, you'll need to be a bit more descriptive. Is the latch on the car itself loose? Sometimes they get pushed in. Is the latch on the door in the closed position already so it just needs to be unlatched?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Mine gives me hard time latching too but it always does end up closing as I give it a bit of an extra push.

Can you please describe your problem a bit more with more details.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 PM

CLK320
What did you find online? Post a link. What I'm saying is that the latch in the door is not separate from the door. As for what is wrong, you'll need to be a bit more descriptive. Is the latch on the car itself loose? Sometimes they get pushed in. Is the latch on the door in the closed position already so it just needs to be unlatched?

I did post a link to what I found "Door Parts" is the link sorry should have been clearer. I can not tell if it is stuck in the open or closed position. On the glove box door, for lack of a better term the "levers or hooks maybe" are up in the door position. So to get any motion at all you need to press down towards the floor. To the left of the main lever/hook is a smaller single lever it is the only thing that moves when pressing on the glove box door latch. I have already broken the pen holder clip trying to slam it shut. Really appreciate your guys help and input

xsever hope the above info explains the problem better.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Ok, didn't see the link before. As you can see, the latch is not separate. You have to buy the door.

I have to say that your description did not help. For example, I don't know what "are up in the door position" means. Is the latch on the car - not the door - tight? Sometimes they get loose. When you slam it trying shut it, does it have a hard metal on metal sound? I'm trying to figure out if the latch is already in the closed position. You may need to post up a nice clear pic of both the door latch and the one on the car so we can see the positions of the parts.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 AM

CLK320
Ok, didn't see the link before. As you can see, the latch is not separate. You have to buy the door.

I have to say that your description did not help. For example, I don't know what "are up in the door position" means. Is the latch on the car - not the door - tight? Sometimes they get loose. When you slam it trying shut it, does it have a hard metal on metal sound? I'm trying to figure out if the latch is already in the closed position. You may need to post up a nice clear pic of both the door latch and the one on the car so we can see the positions of the parts.
I figured my retarded description would not be of much help. I know of no other way to explain it. I am thinking in term of the latch is the locking mechanism on the glove box door. The "catch" would be what is on the car that the latch latches onto.

With the glove box door being in the closed position. As in the vertical as opposed to the open horizontal position. In the default doing nothing position the latch is up inside of the glove box door. If I press down on it kind of comes out and down. I am guessing that would be the position it would be in with the glove box closed if the latch worked. I took some pics will find a spot to upload them so I can post em here in the morning. It is past 12:AM I should be in bed

I see that they sell it as a unit, but it also looks like they sell all the components separately. At least the latch comes up as a independent part on the Link Here to add it to my cart for $10.00.

Looking around I also found this link on the BenzWorld Forum forum. W209 glove compt.pdf and W209 glove compt lid.pdf. Looks like they are instructions on how to dismantle the glove box and the glove box door
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Trust me, you cannot buy the door latch by itself. I cannot open your link, but I'm sure that is the catch on the car for $10.00. It is well known and discussed here before - in response to a question posed by me - that it cannot be bought separately. And you can see there is no way to disassemble the door to install it anyway.

Bascially, the latch on the door should be like an open bird's mouth. When you close the door, the latch hits the bar of the catch on the car (the worm for the bird), which triggers a hook to come up (the bird's lower jaw, so to speak) - which closes around the back side of the bar on the catch. But if somebody fiddled with it, it is possible to close the bird's mouth with the door open, so that when you try and close the door, that hook is already closed and just slams into the bar on the catch. Based on your description, that is what has happened - your catch is already closed. It may or may not be broken. You have to pull it down and fiddle with that little lever beside it. I'll do it later on my own car and describe what I did. But it's probably not good that you slammed it hard enough to break the pen holder.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just some additional info here...

The glove compartment may have a locking mechanism. I know the cabriolet has this, but I believe some coupes do as well.

The first photo shows the strike, which is the stationary part attached to the dash. The yellow arrow points at the strike itself and this is what the latch grabs onto. The green arrow points to a manual lock lever. If this lever is in the left position (as shown), then the glove box is not locked. if you lock to doors, then this lever moves to the right side and the glove box latch is now locked. You can also manually move the lever to the right to lock the glove box without locking the vehicle. Locking and unlocking the vehicle will reset this locking mechanism.

The second photo shows the latch, which is on the glove box lid. The green arrow points at the part that mates with the locking lever on the strike. Contacting the locking lever puts a slightly downward pressure on this part of the latch and thus unlocks it. Without that, the latch will be locked. The blue arrow points to the part of the latch that initially contacts the strike. As it hits the bottom of the strike, it causes this part to move downward along with the yellow part (these two parts are all one piece, in a "C" shape). The yellow piece rotates downward, over the top of and then behind the strike. This is what holds the lid in place. Again, if the green part has no downward pressure where it would mate with the locking lever on the strike, then the latch will not release when pulling on the handle.

If your lock is broken, it may be the locking lever mechanism has failed. It may be possible to fish a wire in between the lid and dash and push down on the locking lever on the latch to release it. Otherwise, you'll likely just have to use a wedge into the latch to force it open, then replace the parts that break.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM

CLK320
Trust me, you cannot buy the door latch by itself. I cannot open your link, but I'm sure that is the catch on the car for $10.00. It is well known and discussed here before - in response to a question posed by me - that it cannot be bought separately. And you can see there is no way to disassemble the door to install it anyway.
I suppose we will see I orered the part abnd they sent me
On Jan 24, 2014, at 8:31 AM, Mercedes-Benz Parts Superstore wrote:
Order Number: 312XXXXX
Thank you for you order, Estimated Ship date 1/29
When I ordered in teh notes I indicated that I was ordering the latch or locking mechanism. So we will see. The one PDF file I posted has pretty clear instructions on how to dismantle to door so it looks like I am set once the parts arrive. Could be that they are taking me down the yellow brick road but I can see only one way to find out

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Just some additional info here...

The glove compartment may have a locking mechanism. I know the cabriolet has this, but I believe some coupes do as well.

The first photo shows the strike, which is the stationary part attached to the dash. The yellow arrow points at the strike itself and this is what the latch grabs onto. The green arrow points to a manual lock lever. If this lever is in the left position (as shown), then the glove box is not locked. if you lock to doors, then this lever moves to the right side and the glove box latch is now locked. You can also manually move the lever to the right to lock the glove box without locking the vehicle. Locking and unlocking the vehicle will reset this locking mechanism.

The second photo shows the latch, which is on the glove box lid. The green arrow points at the part that mates with the locking lever on the strike. Contacting the locking lever puts a slightly downward pressure on this part of the latch and thus unlocks it. Without that, the latch will be locked. The blue arrow points to the part of the latch that initially contacts the strike. As it hits the bottom of the strike, it causes this part to move downward along with the yellow part (these two parts are all one piece, in a "C" shape). The yellow piece rotates downward, over the top of and then behind the strike. This is what holds the lid in place. Again, if the green part has no downward pressure where it would mate with the locking lever on the strike, then the latch will not release when pulling on the handle.

If your lock is broken, it may be the locking lever mechanism has failed. It may be possible to fish a wire in between the lid and dash and push down on the locking lever on the latch to release it. Otherwise, you'll likely just have to use a wedge into the latch to force it open, then replace the parts that break.
Thanks that pretty much defines my problem except the opposite my door will not close. When I pull of the handle nothing happens at all with the latch. I may see if your wire idea will work to hold the latch open so that I can close it. Either way the wait is on until the 29th and see when the parts arrive. Keep your fingers crossed folks. Who knows we may come up with a solution for what seems to be a fairly common problem. Other than spend $300 for a freaking glove box door that we know is prone to malfunction

Last edited by Long.Rider; 01-26-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by Long.Rider
I suppose we will see I orered the part abnd they sent me
When I ordered in teh notes I indicated that I was ordering the latch or locking mechanism. So we will see. The one PDF file I posted has pretty clear instructions on how to dismantle to door so it looks like I am set once the parts arrive. Could be that they are taking me down the yellow brick road but I can see only one way to find out

Thanks that pretty much defines my problem except the opposite my door will not close. When I pull of the handle nothing happens at all with the latch. I may see if your wire idea will work to hold the latch open so that I can close it. Either way the wait is on until the 29th and see when the parts arrive. Keep your fingers crossed folks. Who knows we may come up with a solution for what seems to be a fairly common problem. Other than spend $300 for a freaking glove box door that we know is prone to malfunction

had the same problem bent it out with a flathead but my glovebox has hard time staying attached because the side clip is broken so it falls apart completely at times
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM

CLK320
Came home to find the parts were on my doorstep. So I am ready to fix the glove box, finally. I change grab, transfer the directions from my studio computer to the iMac in the garage. So here I am ready to fix it ..... wrong parts.

Called Mercedes-Benz Parts Superstore and Jim has been most helpful. Despite the fact that my attempts to articulate the problem over the phone was even worst than my efforts here. So he had me send pics and will get back with me on Monday.

To clarify useing Rudeney pics and description the locking mechanism in the second picture with the blue, yellow and green arrows is the part that appears to be malfunctioning. They are in the closed position with the door open. I have yet to figure out how to keep it open long enough to close the door and allow it to latch shut. So the wait begins again. As it sounds that others have had the same problem, makes me feel like I am on a mission to get' errr done so that we have a viable solutions that does not cost $300.ºº plus dollars. That's just plain nuts. I get that repairs and maintenance for a Benz can be spendy but that's just plain assinine for a freaking latch
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 AM

clk 500
I had the same problem with my 03. There is an allen bolt behind the latching mechanism that holds it in place. Tightened the bolt and fixed the problem.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S Class
You need to loosen the torx 20 bolt for the latch part on the box side not the lid, pull it out a bit then retighten bolt up then try closing lid again
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by Mokong
I had the same problem with my 03. There is an allen bolt behind the latching mechanism that holds it in place. Tightened the bolt and fixed the problem.
Are talking about the box side as gmphertford is saying below or on the door side?

Originally Posted by gmphertford
You need to loosen the torx 20 bolt for the latch part on the box side not the lid, pull it out a bit then retighten bolt up then try closing lid again
OK now I feel like I'm dumber than a box of rocks. I can not find a Allen or Torx on the door side or box side.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
yes - i too encountered issues with the glove box latch. I tried to fix it but gave up finally and took it to the dealership. I got tired of it falling open.

Did you get it fixed?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I believe the Torx bolt in question is what holds the strike inside the glove compartment. If you have a CD changer, you have to remove it and then you'll find that bolt on the roof of the glove compartment. I do not believe that has anything to do with your problem. Tightening that bolt can, however, fix a "droopy" glove compartment door. You just need a new door.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 PM

CLK 320
Smile Unlock stuck latch SOLVED!

Here is the solution to this problem of a locked glove box where the key fob fails to unlock the latch.

There is a "release" button underneath the handle. You need to have your head just about on the floor and look up underneath the glove-box-handle. You need to squeeze the handle to expose view of the "release" button. You will need a flashlight to see this and a screw driver to push against a flat button that has a white circle on it.

This should solve the problem for those who have a stuck latch.

In my case I had a sagging glove-box-cover and was looking at the loose retainer and slid that switch back and forth front left to right (not knowing at the time what that did) and I must have put it in the right position before closing the glove-box-cover. I had activated the locking system for the glove box. (Then I went to this site and learned a lot -thank you My problem was that while the key fob was supposed to unlock this....., there was no response. After a lot of searching on this site and other locations....., the only solution for a stuck latch was to force it open and then suffer the consequences of broken parts. Nowhere did I find mention of the "release" button. I was just lucky to find it.

Good luck to you and I hope that this helps someone.