CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question about quad exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 clk550
Question about quad exhaust

Ok so I have a 2008 clk 350 and I just recently had a clk55 amg rear bunper installed..

It was my first step to having the piggy back quad exhaust system.

The drivers side exhaust has space for dual tips already.

The driver side exhaust pipe is what I'm curious about. When putting in the vis carbon diffuser will I be required to cut more from the driver side exhaust area.

I know for a fact I have to cut the passenger side to the dimensions of the diffuser, but my question is since the amg bumper already has space for dual tips does the vis diffuser require I cut an even bigger cutout for the driver side.

Reason I'm asking is if u have to wait to install the driver side dual tips for the diffuser to be cut out or can I install the driver side dual tips now to the stock amg bumper dimensions then install and cut the passenger side later ..

If hate to install the dual tips on the riverside only to find out it doesn't line up with the diffuser and have to remove and cut then realign the exhaust tip..

I guess this question is for people who installed the vis diffuser on a clk 55 when they only had a single dual tip exhaust
Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I don't have a 55 but I would wait at least until I had the diffuser in hand. On my 550 there was only a very small bit of grinding I had to do to the driver side opening to get the diffuser to align better (w/o putting any pressure on it to fit).
Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 clk550
Thanks, I should probably wait... Iv always been inpatient haha
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Patience is the key my friend, patience is the key.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
jus wait and do it when u go quad
Old 07-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Definitely wait. I believe the bumper does have to get cut. If I remember correctly the diffuser openings are a bit wider.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have a 55.

You should NOT have to modify the drivers side.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
You could have it fitted without cutting the bumper. However, if you want it to fit properly you need to cut the bumper on both sides.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 CLK
Originally Posted by caliguy
Ok so I have a 2008 clk 350 and I just recently had a clk55 amg rear bunper installed..

It was my first step to having the piggy back quad exhaust system.

The drivers side exhaust has space for dual tips already.

The driver side exhaust pipe is what I'm curious about. When putting in the vis carbon diffuser will I be required to cut more from the driver side exhaust area.

I know for a fact I have to cut the passenger side to the dimensions of the diffuser, but my question is since the amg bumper already has space for dual tips does the vis diffuser require I cut an even bigger cutout for the driver side.

Reason I'm asking is if u have to wait to install the driver side dual tips for the diffuser to be cut out or can I install the driver side dual tips now to the stock amg bumper dimensions then install and cut the passenger side later ..

If hate to install the dual tips on the riverside only to find out it doesn't line up with the diffuser and have to remove and cut then realign the exhaust tip..

I guess this question is for people who installed the vis diffuser on a clk 55 when they only had a single dual tip exhaust
Thanks for starting the thread caliguy!
I am in exactly the same situation!!

So I am ready to install the Magnaflow 12267 and have to decide what type of quad tips to get the Y-type or the Off-center type. This might affect the cut out location and not work with the VIS diffuser in the future, then have to re align ect..

I am looking where to get the VIS diffuser? Hey calliguy any good recomendations....or from anyone. Im in LA.
Just getting the VIS looks like it will take several weeks or more. While I can do the exhaust already. Then take my time and shop a deal with the VIS diffuser.

This is what i will do thanks to the posts of gentlemen here at forum. This was from Kevwood, AMS/Magnaflow exhaust review/thread great write up and read for this mod. But his clk is a 500 so rear config might be somewhat different.
I know, picture has Y type but not sure..... to use the Y type or the Off-center type of tips?!!!

The exhaust shop says no problem, about 350 for all, I can do the cutting no problem.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Last edited by Hanzi1; 08-13-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think a Y or h configured set of tips will make any difference for the position of the cutout. You probably want the exits to be mirrored images of each other and the drivers side exit is already there. The cutout will need to be the same distance from the passenger side of the car as your current cutout is from the drivers side of the car.

The use of a y or h tip set will affect where (relative to the sides of the car) you connect the exhaust tubes to the tips of course, but the location of where the cutout will be is set.....

I still think it is best to wait for the diffuser, but you can do the cutout and run the new setup prior to installing the diffuser. Although I had the diffuser, and used it to mark the cutout on the passenger side, I made the cutout (dremel tool) a week before I installed the diffuser. It was 2-3 weeks after that before I could get the exhaust work done.

There was no "cutting" required on the drivers side but I did have to grind the inside edge of the driver side opening to get the best fit (without tension) of the diffuser.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
^OP listen to Fatz, he's an exhaust guru! He helped me with my exhaust and I'm super happy with it. Much appreciated, Fatz!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by Fatz
I don't think a Y or h configured set of tips will make any difference for the position of the cutout. You probably want the exits to be mirrored images of each other and the drivers side exit is already there. The cutout will need to be the same distance from the passenger side of the car as your current cutout is from the drivers side of the car.

The use of a y or h tip set will affect where (relative to the sides of the car) you connect the exhaust tubes to the tips of course, but the location of where the cutout will be is set.....

I still think it is best to wait for the diffuser, but you can do the cutout and run the new setup prior to installing the diffuser. Although I had the diffuser, and used it to mark the cutout on the passenger side, I made the cutout (dremel tool) a week before I installed the diffuser. It was 2-3 weeks after that before I could get the exhaust work done.

There was no "cutting" required on the drivers side but I did have to grind the inside edge of the driver side opening to get the best fit (without tension) of the diffuser.
Wow! Thanks your threads is supper informative, I have read all of them to research. It gave me confidence to proceed with all the information you guys put out there! I have them bookmarked for reference! I am thrilled to actually have contact.

Fatz, (On the picture used excel to show my car is the one above, then ratioed the size of both images to be the same scale. I used the recess x,y and the taillights to line up both images)
If I had the approximate measure of the distance from the recess where the diffurer sits to diffuser edge of the opening and the edge of the diffuser- I call this "A" in the picture and distance "B" then I could cut conservatively leaving some "meat" to cut more if needed for the diffuser. Distance "C" would guide me not to cut too high.
Then mirror this on the other passenger side.

BTW how wide are the quad tips you have (total)? I have seen them as wide as 9.5in and 7.5 in I think the Eurostyle ones are 9.5 but these just seem to be hard chromed not all stainless.
I dropped a blue line in the Center of my exhaust and it looks like it is centered to the 2nd tip. My single exhaust is about 5in wide, I guessing the exhaust tip in the picture is 4.5 in or so.
But you are right as long as the cuts are in place i could use either... i think.

I really appreciate if any one could help with those dimensions.

CUTTING PLAN PRE-DIFFUSER INSTALL AMG BUMPER W209 CLK

Last edited by Hanzi1; 08-14-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added mirror cut statement
Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hanzi,
I used my calipers to take the following;
A = 1.37"
C = 1.9"
If "B" is for the distance between the inside edges of the diffuser, refer to the attached. If "B" refers to the distance from the outer inside edge to the apex of the downward curvature of the other side of the diffuser opening, there would be too much interpretation for me to give you a measurement on that.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Exhaust Tip Alignment.pdf (290.9 KB, 354 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
I have EuroStyle's tips, check out my thread for references. Good luck with the professor and don't forget, pictures/videos!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
I have EuroStyle's tips, check out my thread for references. Good luck with the professor and don't forget, pictures/videos!
Based on good recomendations I just ordered a set, these seem to have the right look and size that I think matches the car! Darn they look good!
He replied right away and will get this to me ASAP! I Think I will be cutting bumper this weekend.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Just realized I spelled process as "professor" lol

Anyways, when you get the tips they'll be 2" on the inlet diameter. When you install the exhaust don't have them widen the pipe on the tip or it might break. Rather, have them weld pipe onto the tip instead of trying to make the tip's pipe bigger. My $0.02
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 PM

W209 CLK
Hanzi,
I used my calipers to take the following;
A = 1.37"
C = 1.9"
If "B" is for the distance between the inside edges of the diffuser, refer to the attached. If "B" refers to the distance from the outer inside edge to the apex of the downward curvature of the other side of the diffuser opening, there would be too much interpretation for me to give you a measurement on that.

Hope this helps.
Man o Man that is fantastic Fatz, great PDF !!! thanks that level of detail can help many...I think that gets me far enough to start, the "B" dim is good from the drawing as I can get close enough with the pictures and "comparative estimation".
I have the quad tips coming in soon I will wait a bit to get them. Just do not want to drive around with empty cut outs too soon. Looks like I might have to start another thread to capture all this. I will prep templates for the cuts to be ready... will keep you posted!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hanzi, if you use the pdf for alignment of the tips, keep this in mind; I used clamps to connect the section of the pipes between the cats and the resonator to the rest of the pipes (starting just forward of the resonators). The exhaust extends under operating temperature. The clamps are designed that way.

The drawings in the pdf are at cold temp. You should just hold the tips in the cutout and determine how you want them to sit. With the clamps, my tips extend about 3/8" to 1/2" (I'll have to measure the extension one day) at operating temp.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 PM

W209 CLK
Hanzi, if you use the pdf for alignment of the tips, keep this in mind; I used clamps to connect the section of the pipes between the cats and the resonator to the rest of the pipes (starting just forward of the resonators). The exhaust extends under operating temperature. The clamps are designed that way.

The drawings in the pdf are at cold temp. You should just hold the tips in the cutout and determine how you want them to sit. With the clamps, my tips extend about 3/8" to 1/2" (I'll have to measure the extension one day) at operating temp.
Yes, I'll probably keep the exhaust under an inch over the bumper, unless it looks better. Waiting for tips to arrive....

Last edited by Hanzi1; 08-29-2014 at 01:23 AM.