CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission swap clk550 55k miles!???

Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Transmission swap clk550 55k miles!???

So I've read up on some of the problems the clks have had.

I basically got this code: P0717 relating to a faulty sensor.

Mechanic swapped the sensor but told me the valve body is no good. He said the conductor plate needs to be changed as well as the valve body and programmed by dealer.

Coming to around 3k

He said it would be cheaper to buy a used trans and swap. Comes out to about 2k.

I'm weary of doing a trans swap. Has anyone done or had this problem?

I'm taking it to the stealer tom for a diagnostic to make sure.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I would fix the broken part - a used transmission may have the same problems. The replacement parts are revised and will permanently fix the problem.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by X II VI
So I've read up on some of the problems the clks have had.

I basically got this code: P0717 relating to a faulty sensor.

Mechanic swapped the sensor but told me the valve body is no good. He said the conductor plate needs to be changed as well as the valve body and programmed by dealer.

Coming to around 3k

He said it would be cheaper to buy a used trans and swap. Comes out to about 2k.

I'm weary of doing a trans swap. Has anyone done or had this problem?

I'm taking it to the stealer tom for a diagnostic to make sure.
Just for my understanding,your mechanic says the plate and a sensor on the plate, both went bad? I'm familiar with the plate developing a hairline crack, and that crack can interrupt the signal from one or more sensors. This gives the appearance of a bad sensor, but (at least in my case) examining the plate shows the real culprit. Having both a sensor and the plate go bad seems odd. Also, what went wrong with the valve body? The dealer's second opinion will prove interesting. Please post their findings.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Just for my understanding,your mechanic says the plate and a sensor on the plate, both went bad? I'm familiar with the plate developing a hairline crack, and that crack can interrupt the signal from one or more sensors. This gives the appearance of a bad sensor, but (at least in my case) examining the plate shows the real culprit. Having both a sensor and the plate go bad seems odd. Also, what went wrong with the valve body? The dealer's second opinion will prove interesting. Please post their findings.

He said the scanner pulled a code that said the sensor went bad, so thats what he replaced. He said, as he was replacing it he saw that the valve body had "burned up" and that the fluid had gone bad. From that im assuming he looked at the conductor plate and saw that i was bad. The only reason i trust his opinion is because 1. Ive been going to him for a long time, hes always given me and honest answer and upfront with pricing. 2. I searched the forums for an answer and many people have had this exact problem with the clk which ended up with them changing out the conductor plate.

Yes ill be dropping the car to the stealer today, im pretty interested in what theyll say.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I would fix the broken part - a used transmission may have the same problems. The replacement parts are revised and will permanently fix the problem.
This is true!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 AM

CLK550
UPDATE

Just got car back from dealer.
Conductor plate was replaced along with some minute things that go along with that work, car was reprogrammed and transmission fluid replaced

Runs perfect! I havent felt the car like this in weeks im way too happy.

However, valve body was not replaced as advised by mechanic so im hoping that doesnt cause a problem in the future.

Total cost: 1300
Advisor: Ron Kraham
Review: Highly recommended. This dealer always treats well and fair(relative to other dealers)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
This is a common failure on early 722.9 transmissions. The turbine speed sensor fails and it wobbles around in its slot int he conductor plate, which damages it. That's why both must be replaced.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by X II VI
UPDATE

Just got car back from dealer.
Conductor plate was replaced along with some minute things that go along with that work, car was reprogrammed and transmission fluid replaced

Runs perfect! I havent felt the car like this in weeks im way too happy.

However, valve body was not replaced as advised by mechanic so im hoping that doesnt cause a problem in the future.

Total cost: 1300
Advisor: Ron Kraham
Review: Highly recommended. This dealer always treats well and fair(relative to other dealers)
I wish I knew you were in the huntington area! I also use MB of Huntington for everything, but I use a MB mechanic who works there directly (drop the car off after hours and he does work on it when he's free using the equipment for MUCH cheaper).

Although, the price you got seems relatively fair, he probably would have done it directly for half that in cash. Either way, glad your issue turned out fine. I have to bring my car in Tuesday for him to take a look at my transmission woes.

I hope my result is as good as yours!