CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk 500 convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500
clk 500 convertible top issues

I am new to the site and hope there are some members on here that can help me out. I have a 2004 CLK 500....the top stopped working in mid cycle. I found a blown fuse, located were the positive wire from the pump connects in a plastic box near the pump. I replaced it and it blew again. Sounds like a bad pump motor to me so I pulled the pump and found a new pump on ebay, not the same pump but the motor looked identical. I swapped the motor. Now new motor on my old pump. Reinstalled and the fuse did not blow but the motor seemed to be turning slowly and even with no lines hooked to the pump only a trickle of fluid was coming out of one of the holes in the pump. Any ideas??? I guess it is possible that the new motor is not compatible with my system, I really do not think that is the case, they are identical....both have a red and a black wire and two blue wires coming out of the motor....Guessing the blue wires are for temperature. Also noted that the motor only runs for a few seconds and then turns off.....release the switch and try again the same result, motors runs for a few seconds and then quits. When it is running it does not sound like it is turning up very much RPM...old motor when it worked sounded like a dentists drill...lol Any help would be great!!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Maybe the pump itself is the issue, causing the old motor to stall and blow the fuse. Maybe the new motor is strong enough to operate the pump but only slowly. Or, the motor, while it looks the same, isn't.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500
Good thought......pump turned by hand easily before installing the motor.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Klaus at TopHydraulics is the expert on this - ping him. He may have some ideas.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
jeffmorgan,

sounds to me like your replacement pump was for sale on eBay because the motor was on its way out. It should turn just as fast as the one you had before.

Return the pump to the eBay seller if you can. Otherwise, send us both pumps and we will buy the bad pump as partial credit towards the rebuild service you need on your original one: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/w...ulic-pump.html

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com