CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Your expertise please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320, 2000 E320
Your expertise please

Hello all,

I'm in need of your expertise. I own a 2005 CLK320 coupe. Recently I've been having issues with my Xenon headlights. As it sits both of my low beams are not functioning. I replaced both bulbs nothing. Took it to the dealership they ran diagnostics on it. At that point they needed to get to the control unit to check for voltage. The price in labor was starting to jump and with it being summer I said to stop while I did some research. From the sound of it I believe I just need to have the HID ignition units changed out. I haven't swapped either of the control units to truly determine if they may be at fault. My question at this point is I can spend a bunch of money on the ignition units upgraded with the potential of having to have the control units replaced looming or I can just go purchase a new HID conversion kit and have it installed at 1/3 or 1/2 the price. Suggestions? opinions? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Originally Posted by Hawleysr
Hello all,

I'm in need of your expertise. I own a 2005 CLK320 coupe. Recently I've been having issues with my Xenon headlights. As it sits both of my low beams are not functioning. I replaced both bulbs nothing. Took it to the dealership they ran diagnostics on it. At that point they needed to get to the control unit to check for voltage. The price in labor was starting to jump and with it being summer I said to stop while I did some research. From the sound of it I believe I just need to have the HID ignition units changed out. I haven't swapped either of the control units to truly determine if they may be at fault. My question at this point is I can spend a bunch of money on the ignition units upgraded with the potential of having to have the control units replaced looming or I can just go purchase a new HID conversion kit and have it installed at 1/3 or 1/2 the price. Suggestions? opinions? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
if its just the ballasts just replace the OEM ones with aftermarket ones from TRS for dirt cheap! you can get a kit of ballasts and bulbs for under 200$ shipped
Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320, 2000 E320
My main concern is what's the difference between the control unit @ $250+/ea vs a third party HID Xenon kit? Or is there a difference? The dealership indicated that the drivers side headlight assembly was a slave to the passenger side. That seems to make sense when researching prices as the passenger side was always significantly more. Will that make a difference in functionality?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Your dealer is incorrect. Both headlights are stand-alone units. If it were me, I would by aftermarket ballasts and be done with it. However, the installation process is not plug and play - you will need to remove the headlight assemblies (which requires removing the bumper) and some rewiring will be necessary.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Doesnt hurt to be safe than sorry but check the fuse for the headlights.

I went through an issue with a friends infiniti. the tech wanted to charge him 100 just to do diagnostics on the car. I checked the fuse and it was blown...lol
Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It is always a good idea to check the simple stuff first, but the headlights on these cars do not have fuses. They are electronically controlled via the front SAM (signal acquisition module).