CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New CLK500 Owner, some questions about mods.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK500
New CLK500 Owner, some questions about mods.

I've recently gotten into cars as a hobby, and picked myself up a 2005 CLK500 with roughly 48k~ miles on it.

I love the car dearly and plan on taking very good care of it. It is most certainly powerful compared to my old Lexus .

With that being said, I'd like to make it a *bit* faster, without spending too much.

I'd love to get a Kleemann supercharger, but I don't think I want to spend $14k on parts and labor just yet haha.

I'm looking at the options of a new air filter, air intake, exhaust system (I'd LOVE to get a quad-tip! ), and ECU flashing.

Can anyone make some good recommendations for these things that won't break the bank? Which are worth doing and not? How much HP I can expect to add on?

Thanks in advance for answering my nooby questions !
Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Getting the ECU tuned, upgrading air filters, and removing the resonators (and secondary cats) is a great start
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK500
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Getting the ECU tuned, upgrading air filters, and removing the resonators (and secondary cats) is a great start
Thanks for the quick response!

I'll definitely check in with my mechanic tomorrow about removing the resonator. In regards to air filters, should I order online or can I expect to find similar quality in-store?

Also as for getting the ECU tuned, I was looking at Eurocharged, who advertise 30+ HP boosts for $600. Do you, or anyone else here for that matter, have experience with them?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Eurocharged are a reputable company. I am not sure you will get 30hp though. These cars are very difficult to get much more power out without spending a lot of money ie the supercharger you mentioned. If you are considering doing that later on I would recommend getting an E55 and save a lot of hassle.

Otherwise long tube headers, intake, port/polish, LSD (to put it down) and tune is about the extent of it but it is very high $ to hp ratio and remember a lot of these mods will alter your torque curve, especially down low and may actually make the car less enjoyable to drive.