CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help with mirror control malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK550 Cab
Help with mirror control malfunction

I hope you can help me with my 2009 CLK 550 convertible. I tried to adjust the side mirrors using the dash mounted 4-way rocker switch. If I press UP, the mirror moves down. If I press DOWN, the mirror moves down. Left and right work OK.

So I switched to the other side and tried adjusting that one. It had the same problem.

If I use the memory function, the mirrors return to the preset positions correctly, so I believe the motors and electronics in the mirror are working correctly, but something is screwy with the manual control switch.

Any tips on diagnosing this, or should I just try a new switch?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I'm guessing a bad switch. But first,try pulling fuses 57 and 62 (on the front SAM) for a few minutes to reset the controllers. You may need to reset the steering angle sensor after that - just start the engine and turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock 3 times.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:43 PM

2009 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I'm guessing a bad switch. But first,try pulling fuses 57 and 62 (on the front SAM) for a few minutes to reset the controllers. You may need to reset the steering angle sensor after that - just start the engine and turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock 3 times.
I will try that, but because the memory controls do work, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Can you tell me if the switch can be replaced on its own (meaning I don't have to replace the entire left subpanel with the headlight switch and all)?

I have searched online for the switch, and can't find a part number or drawings that show the switch and the parts vendors I have tried. Hopefully it's just a regular momentary contact switch and not some expensive digital thing.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The panel is one part with everything. I'd look for a used one (ebay).
Old 12-07-2014, 03:13 PM

2009 CLK550 Cab
I get to happily close out this thread. I found a used headlight/mirror switch assembly, part number A 203 545 10 04 SCHW 9116, on eBay for about $35. Once I found some helpful instructions for how to remove the assembly, it was pretty easy to replace. The trick was to pop out the cable for the e-brake release handle, allowing the handle to pull out, giving access to the screw into the bottom of the switch assembly.

With the new switch, the mirrors work perfectly, as do the headlights.

Thanks much for the tips, Rudeney!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 PM

2004 CLK500 Convertible
Thread hijack for similar issue

Hey guys,
newbie to the forum but I've had some issues on my 04 CLK500 convertible with the side mirrors not working when trying to adjust, both sides.
I checked the fuses (21,22 shared with power windows) and they were good but one which seemed explicitly for the side mirrors (63) in the hood was fried so I replaced it using the spares that came with the car.
Now the mirror moves when starting the car (for memory) but I still cannot move it using the controls manually.
I disassembled the controls and did not find any issues with any connections or the buttons themselves. The light control in the same panel works fine also confirming this.
I saw a reply from Rudeney which suggested:
pulling fuses 57 and 62 (on the front SAM) for a few minutes to reset the controllers. You may need to reset the steering angle sensor after that - just start the engine and turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock 3 times.
Is this something I should try as well?
Is there any resetting or anything else I need to do after replacing a burned out fuse in order to get the side mirror control working again?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It can't hurt, but it may be that the control panel is bad.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:50 PM

Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
Alternative zero cost fix

After much Googling, this thread turned out to be the most helpful in identifying the problem so I decided to create an account just to share my potential cost free fix. Old thread, but it might help someone.

I'm writing this post after I'd already re-coupled and re-installed the unit and as a result I lack any detailed pics, so I hope that my off-the-cuff explanations suffice.

Steps:
  1. Follow the steps in this link to detach the headlight/electric mirror switch unit from the dash
  2. Dismantle the unit and clean
    1. Remove the two metal clips by lifting the smaller clip (circled in red) and sliding it out. This will reveal a plastic clip that is relevant in step (b).
    2. Use a flat head screwdriver to place small cut-outs of cardboard paper between all the plastic clips and pull the unit apart to reveal the internals

PS: Pic was taken before the metal clips were removed
    3. Pull out all 5 electric mirror buttons, then remove the headlight washer button which has 2 or 3 clips directly underneath. Leave the headlight knob.
    4. Turn the unit upside-down to allow the circuit board for the electric mirror to dislodge from the casing (if it hasn't already) and it will hang by a flat white wire
    5. Unscrew the 3 silver screws behind the circuit board, detach the board from the plastic unit, and remove the silicone button mat
    6. Lightly soak a cotton bud tip in 99% isopropyl alcohol and use it to clean the silicone mat and circuit board, focusing on the contact points of the electric mirror section
  3. Swap around the long black plastic tipsthat sits between the silicone button mat and the electric mirror directional button. This will help level out any uneven wear on those plastic tips.
  4. Place the silicone button mat back in place and screw the circuit board back into place
  5. In its loosely coupled state, plug it into the car and test all the buttons
  6. If it works, put it all back together and re-install
Hopefully it works for you