CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

No Cluster Lights, Gauges & Steering Wheel Buttons Not Functional

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
No Cluster Lights, Gauges & Steering Wheel Buttons Not Functional

I have a 2008 CLK 350. This afternoon I started my car only to discover that the instrument cluster panel & the steering wheel command buttons are not working. In particular, the instrument cluster LED screens don't appear to function, the mph, rpm etc. gauges do not move and the various buttons on the steering wheel do not work (volume, channel scan, etc).

Everything else appears to be working fine (turns signals are turning on although I hear no clicking, wipers work, lights function, car drives, GPS/Stereo is fine, etc.). I checked the fuse (appears to #42 on the drivers side interior per the listing) through visual examination and switching the applicable fuse with a like fuse that I have no reason to believe is not working (I did not try a new fuse). The fuse appeared to be ok and switching the fuses did not result in anything noticeable. Prior to this, I have not experienced anything but normal functionality from the cluster/steering wheel buttons and have not experienced any other odd behaviors from the car. I will note that I infrequently drive the car and it can sit 7 days or so without being turned on. It was last driven 5-7 days ago.

I have searched Google and this forum and did not come across any posts with the same exact issue. Rather, most of them seemed to be problems only with the cluster panel going out (with no mention of the steering wheel buttons also going out). This leads me to believe that perhaps it is out power harness/wiring issue.

Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited by chris431; 12-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Once my clk's instrument panel also acted weird kind of like yours. Creeped me out so i turned off the car and turned it back on and it worked. Later on i checked my battery and it was toast. Changed the battery and never happened again. Might not be related to whats happened with you, but worth a check.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 PM

CLK350
Thank you for the response Daniel. In short, it was the battery. The full story is longer:

I attempted to swap out the battery on my own in order to test the theory. Alas, I didn't have the adequate tools and also needed the AC checked so I took it to Beverly Hills Mercedes Benz. I scheduled an appointment online and provided full details of the the instrument cluster issue including that the buttons on the steering wheel did not work and that it may be a battery problem. I further requested that the AC be fully inspected.

I dropped the car off on December 26th. I repeated to the service adviser the information I had entered during online scheduling. I was told I would receive a phone call in a day or two as to the status (& that the inspection should be completed in that time). They provided me with a loaner (2015 C300 - awful infotainment system makes it a non-starter for future consideration). After about a week, I called the service adviser. The call was not returned. I waited another 3-4 days and called back. To no avail. Finally on January 8th, I received a call from a service adviser. I was informed that the inspection was complete and that the instrument cluster would need to be replaced (for ~$2100) and that the battery was faulty. I asked if there had been any testing done on the instrument cluster with a different battery given my earlier statements, particularly given the (not so) coincidence that, indeed, as I surmised, the battery was bad (I had no other indication the battery was bad except in the context of the failed instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons). I was informed that it had not been. After inquiring as to the AC test, I learned it was not tested because "the mechanic said the AC issue may be related to the cluster." I have little knowledge of cars but I'd bet the cluster has nothing to do with the AC issue (the AC doesn't get as cool as is typical; seems to me a likely freon issue). I voiced my opinion of the lack of "inspection" &/or simple troubleshooting (I learned from the worksheet after the fact they did apparently check the fuses and the cluster power connector) given the facts and the failure to perform the AC test (the only reason I took it there was to kill two birds with one stone - get the battery tested, instrument cluster inspected and the AC checked (I had no intention of paying for the cluster replacement without further research/opinions); I otherwise would have simply taken the car to a lower quoted but "reputable" place to have the battery tested and go from there).

The battery replacement was $250 pre-tax (two quotes from non-Benz service shops were $170 & $250-$270). I asked the adviser to confirm that the $170 I was obligated to pay for the "inspection" would go toward the battery replacement since I was informed that the $170 would go toward any subsequent services arising from the inspection. The adviser said it would not go toward the $250 battery replacement b/c the inspection concerned the instrument cluster and the battery was unrelated (this is not true as is made clear by my submissions and their entry on the service order which provides for checks on the instrument cluster, battery and AC). After further discussion he offered to refund the $170 fee. We then agreed that they would replace the battery and apply the $170 fee towards the replacement.

The adviser called me at the close of business last night to let me know the service was complete and the car could be picked up this morning. I did not ask if the cluster was now functioning b/c, imo, he would have not known given what appears to be a lack of direct communications between the mechanics and the advisers (this service center is as large as I've seen and operates like a giant conglomerate).

I picked the car up this afternoon. As my car pulled up for delivery. I looked through the rear windshield hoping to see signs of cluster life. I thought I did but visibility is poor. I walk over to take possession of the car and take a quick look at the cluster. Lo and behold, the cluster is fully functioning.

After 16 days, an attempt at selling a $2000 replacement when a simple suggested troubleshooting would have indicated it was unnecessary, and incomplete service that entirely ignored testing the AC, I have my car back with a new battery and working cluster/steering wheel buttons. I'm guessing had I not requested that the battery be tested, it would not have been. A cynic might speculate that had I authorized the replacement cluster, I would have been greeted with "we replaced the cluster and also discovered the battery needed replaced so we did that gratis."

I will not be returning to Beverly Hills Mercedes service center in the future. Not only did they not perform the AC test (the correlation with the cluster doesn't exist, imo) and took nearly two weeks to perform what was minimal diagnostics, but I find it unbelievable they would suggest a $2100 cluster replacement before doing a simple test that was recommended by the customer, has some basis in logic (although I have little knowledge about car mechanics, I inserted the information about my car/battery sitting for long periods without me starting it in my original post b/c it seemed a possible connection), and is supported by evidence of the logic (a faulty battery was indeed discovered).

Last edited by chris431; 01-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Thats great to hear man! Thank you for replying back here about it getting fixed. Im sure your post will be a lot of help to people who are having a similar issue, especially the details of your communication with the company. Its sad that dealerships are messed up that much( not all but most) here in lebanon its even worse. Stories of unoriginal parts being installed and parts being stolen and nothing ever is repaired.. Only replaced and at a premium! My advice to you is find a reputable independant shop with STAR to conduct your repairs.

Last edited by DanielFD; 01-12-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 PM

CLK350
That's crazy re: stolen and/or unoriginal parts. Solid advice to find a reputable independent shop. I'll definitely be doing so for any future inspections or repairs. Thanks again for your responses.