CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clunk /knocking noise when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
clunk /knocking noise when going over bumps

lately I hear a clunk/ knocking noise when going over bumps coming from the passenger side not really sure what it can be my first thought was new shocks or one of the bushings any ever experienced this ?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The most common source of noises are the anti-sway bar bushings. They need to be lubricated. Ironically, WIS states not to use lubricant as it may damage the bushings. It also indicates that the bushings can be replaced, which is incorrect as they come permanently glued onto the anti-sway bar. On mine, I removed the bushings as they were so hardened, no lubricant would help. I replaced them with a W203 bushing, but the bracket does not fit properly and I still get some noise. I need to replace the brackets with the W203 style, but I really wish that someone made a urethane bushing to fit.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Sway bar bushings cause a creaking noise, like what it is, rubber on metal, not really a clunk.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The most common source of noises are the anti-sway bar bushings. They need to be lubricated. Ironically, WIS states not to use lubricant as it may damage the bushings. It also indicates that the bushings can be replaced, which is incorrect as they come permanently glued onto the anti-sway bar. On mine, I removed the bushings as they were so hardened, no lubricant would help. I replaced them with a W203 bushing, but the bracket does not fit properly and I still get some noise. I need to replace the brackets with the W203 style, but I really wish that someone made a urethane bushing to fit.
ooo ok thanks imma check this out

Originally Posted by Yidney
Sway bar bushings cause a creaking noise, like what it is, rubber on metal, not really a clunk.
I hear a creaking noise only when i go over speed bumps slowly a so i know what you mean but this sound is coming from regular bumps in the road i need to get a video of it
Old 01-18-2015, 10:59 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My front right sway bar bushing is shot and the bar actually clucks and clunks as I make left turn over bumps. It does not creak. In fact, on a high-speed left, it can sound like a horribly bad bearing. I can coat it with a ton of grease and it helps for a week, then goes right back to being noisy.