CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fuel Level/Gauge Not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Fuel Level/Gauge Not working

Today I found out the hard way (ran out of gas) that my fuel gauge is not working.
It was showing 1/2 tank, but it was like that for a long period.
I thought maybe I didnt drive it very much, or it was going to go down later.

I called a friend who is a MB tech, he told me that 203-209 models gave some SAM module problems.
It supoused to give some rear lights, central lock or interior lights malfunction, but my car doesnt have any problems like that.

Any ideas where to begin?
Do you think it is most likely a floats inside the tank problem?

By the way, I put 10 gallons of fuel in the car after I ran out of gas and the level went to 3/4 of tank.
Will it work this time?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Road Racer
Today I found out the hard way (ran out of gas) that my fuel gauge is not working.
It was showing 1/2 tank, but it was like that for a long period.
I thought maybe I didnt drive it very much, or it was going to go down later.

I called a friend who is a MB tech, he told me that 203-209 models gave some SAM module problems.
It supoused to give some rear lights, central lock or interior lights malfunction, but my car doesnt have any problems like that.

Any ideas where to begin?
Do you think it is most likely a floats inside the tank problem?

By the way, I put 10 gallons of fuel in the car after I ran out of gas and the level went to 3/4 of tank.
Will it work this time?

If i'm not mistake. our fuel tanks have 2 "floats". one for the top half of the tank and one for the bottom half. looks like you bottom half has gone haywire. If your rear sam was shot I think your fuel gauge wouldn't work at all.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The tank has two floats but not "bottom and top" - it's "left and right". The fuel tank is split into two sections where it straddles the drive shaft. The left side has the "sender" unit which includes a pickup and float. The right side has the actual pump motor plus a float. The data from both floats is interpreted by the rear SAM in order to send the gauge the signal for the overall level. It sounds to me like one of your floats is stuck. The left side of the tank is emptied first, then the right, so my guess is that the right side float is stuck at the top.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The tank has two floats but not "bottom and top" - it's "left and right". The fuel tank is split into two sections where it straddles the drive shaft. The left side has the "sender" unit which includes a pickup and float. The right side has the actual pump motor plus a float. The data from both floats is interpreted by the rear SAM in order to send the gauge the signal for the overall level. It sounds to me like one of your floats is stuck. The left side of the tank is emptied first, then the right, so my guess is that the right side float is stuck at the top.
I apologize for the wrong info. Thank you for fixing it.