CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

soft top leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk convertible
Smile soft top leaking

Hi, I have had a problem with water leaking into cabin when it rains. It showed as a drip at the top of the A pillars but is in reality held in the recess of the plastic header panel. I checked both sides drainage holes in the rubber seals which were clear and ran water through them to test. The next thing I did was to remove the header cover on the roof and water test it. The dripping continued but as the header panel was not in place it just ran out onto the front seats. This proved the water was entering from the rear and running forward, in the channel that forms the side support for the roof not through the top windscreen seal as a lot of links suggested.
I treated the canvas with a cleaner and soft top sealer as per the instructions but it still leaked the same. I them bought an aerosol canvas waterproofer and sprayed the edge of the roof, both sides but paying special attention to the seam and drip seam. I pulled the seam downwards and sprayed well into the joint working from front to back on both sides, left it to dry them gave it a second coat. The roof is now completely dry after being left out in the rain most of this week, no ingress whatsoever!
I hope this might be helpful to anybody with the same problem, as it took quite a lot of investigating to solve this but in the end was a really easy fix!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
I have the exact same problem and I've had it for years. From time to time during a rainstorm water would build up inside the top panel. Then you start to drive and it would all come out on your lap on the first turn. Problem is it's intermittent. It would be fine for some rainstorms and leak during others.

Back when mine was under warranty I had the dealer look it but it's so intermittent they couldn't get it to happen (they ran it through their car wash multiple times).

It's winter here in New England and I have not had one leak all winter.

It has something to do with the top not lining up perfectly when it's put up and down. Sometimes its ok and sometimes not ok. If it leaks I usually pull into a gas station open/close the top real quick and hope it goes away.

Like I said, I've lived with the issue for years now, although I have a garage at home). If someone finds a solution it would be very helpful.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
Amen - me too. It is annoying!