CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Brake lamp, right message ...but my brake light is working

Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Convertible CLK 500
Brake lamp, right message ...but my brake light is working

I had my daughter press the brakes but when she pressed them it looks like the brake lights work unless it only shows its our when I'm driving :/ so if I need a new bulb is it easy to replace?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Which bulb illuminated? Was it the top bulb on the tail light or the lower bulb? On the tail lights, the lower bulbs are the park lights, the top bulbs are for the brakes. But, believe it or not, the system is smart enough to use a "spare" bulb when one fails. The park light bulbs actually have dual filaments and it will sue the brighter filament of the park lights when it detects the brake lights have fails.

Another possibility is that bulbs are just weak and not pulling the right amount of current. If this is the case, my advice is to replace all of the bulbs in the tail lights. The system checks resistance and current draw and weak bulbs combined with new bulbs can fool the system into triggering a fault.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Convertible CLK 500
bulbs

Are bulbs expensive and easy to replace?

QUOTE=Rudeney;6369762]Which bulb illuminated? Was it the top bulb on the tail light or the lower bulb? On the tail lights, the lower bulbs are the park lights, the top bulbs are for the brakes. But, believe it or not, the system is smart enough to use a "spare" bulb when one fails. The park light bulbs actually have dual filaments and it will sue the brighter filament of the park lights when it detects the brake lights have fails.

Another possibility is that bulbs are just weak and not pulling the right amount of current. If this is the case, my advice is to replace all of the bulbs in the tail lights. The system checks resistance and current draw and weak bulbs combined with new bulbs can fool the system into triggering a fault.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
They are inexpensive and easy to change. There are just a couple of retainer push locks holding the liner in the trunk behind the tails. This park of the liner is sort of hinged on the side toward the outside of the car. It opens kind of like a door.

Now you have access to the rear of the tail light. There is a clip (I think it is red) holding the bulb assembly onto the lens. Pinch the retaining clip and pull back (toward the front of the car) and the bulb assembly should come out. Replace the defective bulb/bulbs and reassemble.

You can check your user manual to id and buy the correct bulb beforehand. You can buy them at a local auto parts store. It sometimes helps to know the bulb id number. If the people in the auto parts store look it up you may end up with the wrong bulb (happened to me twice).