CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 CLK320 cranks but doesn't start after sitting for a long period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
2009 CLK320 cranks but doesn't start after sitting for a long period

hi all,
I have 2005 CLK320. The car sat through out the winter. I tried to start it twice. once when it was really cold which it didn't start second time I tried on a milder day, it started, but the display was totally gone. No lights, no oil or fuel displays, clock, etc... I ran it for about 20 mins, and then turned it off.

Just a couple of days ago, I wanted to give it another try. this time I noticed, display is back on. everything seemed normal. I tried again. but the battery was dead.
so I decided to jump start the car. I connected the jumper cables.
now the car cranks but it doesn't start.

Last fall, before I parked the car, I had a CPS error, which I cleared, and I didn't have any other issues.
Do you think it's CPS again? some people say CPS cause the car not to start when it's hot. so in my case, car is not warm at all. so, I can't pin point.

or do you think it may just be the battery? is it possible that a really weak battery wouldn't start the car even with jumper cables?

I'm not getting any errors in the display or no check engine light.
any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't move the car from the driveway now.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I think the CPS causing a problem when the engine is warm/hot is an indicator that the CPS is failing, hence, you can get the CPS error and the car seems to operate ok. If the CPS is completely inoperable in may just never start.

The battery having been completely drained is another issue. From my experience with my battery, just because the car starts with a jump doesn't mean it is then ok, even after running idle for 20 min. If you have a trickle charger, charge the battery overnight. I drove my car for over 50 miles following a drained battery and it was still not fully charged. I used my trickle charger on it overnight.

I'm sure some of the experts will reply to your request. Particularly about the CPS.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
I agree with Fatz, charge you battery correctly then test for other problems.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
I charged the battery with trickle charger overnight. Still cranks but doesn't start.

As Fatz mentioned, is it possible that a totally failed CPS wouldn't start the car at all as opposed to random starts?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the engine rotates but does not fire, it's not the battery. That is a symptom of no fuel delivery, which could be a bad CPS (without a signal from it, the ECU won't engage the fuel pump), or a bad fuel pump.