CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Looks like we made the list

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Looks like we made the list

Any good ticket stories out there? Getting pulled over in the CLK more or less than usual?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Where did you get this graphic? This is pretty interesting lol
Old 04-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
GTI is 1.8x and Camry is 3.5x??
Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I think somebody made the list from this:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/13/car..._slide_10.html

Average age of driver 47...hmmm.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
The driver of a GTI may be more aware of what's going on around them (the thrill of driving) than the driver of a Camry (or some of those other brands), who is more insulated/isolated from the road and less into "the thrill of driving".

What strikes me is there is not a BMW on the list....... Maybe they are more "attuned" than all drivers........
Old 04-15-2015, 01:10 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Where I live, every few miles of highway is in a different "bedroom community" municipal zone, and all of them are hungry for revenue. These cities have court houses that put many four-star hotel conference centers to shame - built on traffic fine revenue for the purpose of hearing trials for traffic offenses. I go through about 5 of these cities to and form work every day.

I get pulled over about once a month. I think some of the cops are just curious to see the car and who is driving it. I have been blessed with looking a good 10-15 years younger than my actual age - very little gray hair and a head full of it. Maybe they think I'm some young punk in a nice car. Or maybe they like luxury brand drivers as they tend to just pay the fines without a fight. But I don't take it lying down! The first thing I do when I see lights behind me is start the video recorder on my cellphone. I tell the office that I am recording and that all information obtained will be used in a court of law. Most of them back down and give me some sort of lecture on driving safely then send me on my way.

One guy pulled me over saying I failed to signal. First of all, this is Alabama and most drivers have no clue what a "signal" is. Second, I signal when pulling into my driveway from my alley. I argued with him and so he said he'd show me on his dashcam. Guess what we saw? My big fat amber turn signal blinking as I changed lanes! I filed a harassment complaint.

I do have a bit of an ace in the hole. A good friend of mine, in fact he performed my wedding ceremony, is a state supreme court justice. i also know most every lawyer in town (my business sells software to lawyers) so even if I end up in court, I win.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Where I live, every few miles of highway is in a different "bedroom community" municipal zone, and all of them are hungry for revenue. These cities have court houses that put many four-star hotel conference centers to shame - built on traffic fine revenue for the purpose of hearing trials for traffic offenses. I go through about 5 of these cities to and form work every day.

I get pulled over about once a month. I think some of the cops are just curious to see the car and who is driving it. I have been blessed with looking a good 10-15 years younger than my actual age - very little gray hair and a head full of it. Maybe they think I'm some young punk in a nice car. Or maybe they like luxury brand drivers as they tend to just pay the fines without a fight. But I don't take it lying down! The first thing I do when I see lights behind me is start the video recorder on my cellphone. I tell the office that I am recording and that all information obtained will be used in a court of law. Most of them back down and give me some sort of lecture on driving safely then send me on my way.

One guy pulled me over saying I failed to signal. First of all, this is Alabama and most drivers have no clue what a "signal" is. Second, I signal when pulling into my driveway from my alley. I argued with him and so he said he'd show me on his dashcam. Guess what we saw? My big fat amber turn signal blinking as I changed lanes! I filed a harassment complaint.

I do have a bit of an ace in the hole. A good friend of mine, in fact he performed my wedding ceremony, is a state supreme court justice. i also know most every lawyer in town (my business sells software to lawyers) so even if I end up in court, I win.
This is EPIC!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by DanielFD
This is EPIC!

I agree. Once a month, wow!!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Remember - I live in Alabama. You need to watch the movie "My Cousin Vinny". Some see it as a comedy, I actually see it as a documentary.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
So would you recommend recording when you get pulled over or not? I know Alabama is a lot different than SoCal but still
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
In terms of recording, Alabama is a "one party" state. While some states have claimed that it is illegal to record the police while on duty, but so far, the US Supreme Court has upheld that recording any activities on public property is covered under the 1st amendment.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Yeah...I have a dash cam that's always recording so if I do get pulled over it'll be recorded either way. NY/NJ are 1 party states as well so I won't be telling anyone about it.

I think any interactions with police should be recorded. They record everything anyway. Who wouldn't you?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 550 Coupe
I was in a hurry to get my daughter to a college tour in NC. Scared I was not going to make it in time and got pulled doing 87 in a 70 MPH zone in southern VA. Not a place to speed; charged with RD. Awaiting court date and outcome. Yikes...
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I know radar detectors are illegal in VA, but did you have one on and what did they clock you with, radar or laser? Just curious, as I travel through VA once or twice a year.

Good luck with the ticket. Here in GA, for 1st offenses the court will allow what I believe they call "NOLO" if the clerk is empathetic and the doesn't consider the offense to be too awful.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 AM

CLK 350
I recently moved to AL in the Huntsville area haven't been pulled over yet lol. I remember getting pulled over doing 110 on South Carolina once, crazy teen age years. If you get caugh doing more than 10 miles in Georgia you get a nice ticket and if you pay it thus accepting guilty of charge, you get an extra 200 dollar ticket from the state :x.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:11 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I've not had a traffic ticket on my record for over 15 years. I ALWAYS go to court. First, I request as many continuances as possible. If the clerk won't approve a continuance by phone, I go to court (prior to my court date) and request a continuance from the "judge" in person. I get it pushed out as far as possible until they tell me "no more". Once I appear in court, if the officer is there and I'm found "guilty", I file an appeal bond. Around here, traffic court is not "real" court - no UCC procedures, no court reporter. The appeal gets you into a real district court with a real ADA and judge (as opposed the the hired city employees in traffic court). The two times I have filed an appeal bond, the cases were dismissed a day before the trial. The ADA kept calling me to get me to plead and go to driving school. I continued to request a trial. Basically, they have no budget to handle these annoying civil infractions when we have murderers an child molester to be tried.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 PM

2008 CLK 550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Fatz
I know radar detectors are illegal in VA, but did you have one on and what did they clock you with, radar or laser? Just curious, as I travel through VA once or twice a year.

Good luck with the ticket. Here in GA, for 1st offenses the court will allow what I believe they call "NOLO" if the clerk is empathetic and the doesn't consider the offense to be too awful.
No I did not have mine on. Don't use it in VA. Seems like I95 is a little more forgiving (except for the Petersburg-Emporia zone) but Southwest VA is also a hot spot for speeding tickets. I'll await the outcome and hope that it reduced after a good driver course.