CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any experience or recommendation - Bilstein Vs Boge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Any experience or recommendation - Bilstein Vs Boge

My 2005 CLK 320 Cabriolet (75,000 miles) is probably in need of shocks and struts. My guess is that Bilstein B4 OEM type is probably pretty much the same as the Boge equivalents. Any opinions or advice as to which might be better? Suspension feels a bit soft and it is my understanding that this car was not available with a sport suspension. Not really looking for a stiff suspension - just to firm up a bit.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
my recent experience of replacing my stock struts and shocks to Bilstein B4s has been positive...the struts made far more difference to me than the shocks but in any event, I like the firmer but not hard ride and improved handling over my worn stock Sachs set up.

I went with Bilstein as I had thought others here said it was OE for our cars but I have had positive experience with Bilstein shocks on trucks I'd owned in the past...I couldn't report whether Bilstein B4s are more firm than new Sachs made dampers but I'm happy with them.

In my searching of dampers for the Cabriolet, I found some places that showed the Bilstein HDs (which would have been my first choice) were available but believed it was a misprint as other sites along with Bilstein's own site showed HDs were not available for the Cab and the B8 Sports require new springs (lowered)...

Bill

Last edited by SIGagain; 04-19-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
sure...I wanted to add that I had 72K miles on mine (70K when I bought it so I don't know how these ride and handle when new) when I made the change over earlier this month...the difference is not so noticeable on smooth pavement...mine wasn't that bad there...but on bumpy pavement and more importantly (to me at least) on turns, lane changes and such...big difference...my front end used to roll a bit on the right hand turns and now is a pleasure to drive...

I purchased my shocks and struts from Rock Auto.com and they were by far the cheapest delivered for Bilsteins (I believe they carry Boge and Sachs for our cars as well) and I had them in my hands within a week...

Bill
Old 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
Monroe also makes the Sport Version difference is only the front struts on a sport package and they also have a lifetime warranty and till end of April a huge rebate program making all for corners about $110 each. That ain't bad. Will be installing tomorrow and will report back.