CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Resonator delete (clk500) in essex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK500 (2002)
Resonator delete (clk500) in essex

Anyone know who will do this for a reasonable price? I've rang many places and they said I need to get the straight pipe and they will fit it, but I can't find anyone that has pieces in stock without custom making them.
One garage said they will do the work for £20 and the part is £20 they will ring me when it's in, but they never did, it's beginning to grate on me, reading forum posts of people popping into a garage and within an hour and £50 or so, it's job done, but people I'm ringing can't wait to put the phone down. Formula one recommended going to pipecraft, because they custom make them, I rang them and they said bring it in, but will this be expensive? Would they also do the work as well as just making it, or will it be paying a chunk for the section and then paying someone else to weld it on? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Fivehunnit; 05-20-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I don't know your situation or where you are located, but generally the resonator delete just calls for inserting a straight piece of pipe into the section where you removed the resonator. There isn't much "custom" about a straight piece of tube.

Those low cost solutions generally use "lap" welds - meaning they insert the upstream tube end into the downstream tube end (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch) and weld them. This method works, but is not as ideal as "butting" the pipe ends together and welding. This method is harder and more expensive.

Most general muffler shops should be able to do the cut out of the resonator and lap weld the replacing piece of pipe. A higher end/performance shop will probably be required to do butt welds.

Most muffler manufacturers make and sell tubing through distributors. Try Summit Racing online. The tubing in your car is probably 14 gage but 16 or 18 gage will be fine for deleting the resonator.