CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stuck in park at shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500
Stuck in park at shop

I've read the other posts, on the issue and the fix for the problem. i plan on effecting the repair myself. I have two questions; 1) the car is at an indy shop (was there for something else). is there a way to get the car drivable so i can get it home to repair it. 2) i have Keyless Go, and i have not seen any specific threads on how to safely remove the gear shift knob with keylessGo. If anyone has a link or directions on how to remove it, i'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Shift knob is easy. Pull up wood trim at front. Reach under and turn black plastic ring under knob 1/4 turn so it unlocks. Undo one electrical connector for shift light. Pull knob up. Keyless go is really no different than normal. The start button just has two metal pins that go into two little holes on top of the shaft.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If your reason for wanting to remove the gearshift knob is to release the shift interlock and drive the car, then you don't need to do that. There is a manual release for the shift interlock accessed through the center console. Your owner's manual will detail this (page 400). If you don't have an owner's manual, download the PDF copy from www.mbusa.com -> Owner's Section. And if releasing the interlock through the access port in the center console proives to be too difficult (it's sometimes hard to get to it) then just pop the wood panel off the center console (no need to remove the shift knob) and you'll see the lever there at the back of the AGS assembly.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500
hello everyone,
i picked up my car this morning. i was able to drive it home, although i could not put in park. on the way home i noticed a few things. 1. the speedometer was not working (moving) and the electronic one was not registering either. 2.The ABS light was on. I was also receiving an error about brake wear. and 3. my top was not working. Now i have had these things happen before, but never experienced the whole Stuck in park issue.
Once i got it home i decided to try a few things. I started by disconnecting the negative connection of the battery for about 30 seconds; What do yo know, all is well. Started right up, while in park, and was able to shift out of P, top works, and errors went away. so we shall see what the future holds.

Thank you for all the responses
Old 06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sounds like a fault in the ABS/ESP control unit. Hopefully the reboot will fix it. While you're at it, check the vehicle battery - 12.6v at rest, no less than 11v during crank, 14v at idle. A weak battery can cause electrical problems.