CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Remote Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Remote Issues

So I've been having an issue as of late with the remote I use every day. Both driver and passenger door handles won't lock or unlock the doors with keyless go. When trying to unlock the doors with the handle when the vehicle is locked it says "key not recognized" in the cluster and when trying to lock the doors when the vehicle is unlocked with the handle it says "key detected in vehicle". The car does start with the push button on the shifter. Also, when the doors are unlocked and I press the lock button on the electronic trunk, it comes down and closes then unlatches and pops back up, but it locks the doors still. Or, if the doors are already locked, and I press the lock button in the trunk, the trunk comes 3/4s of the way down then goes back. It also says "key detected in vehicle" when attempting these. The regular electronic trunk button works just fine to close the trunk. I tried with my second key and the second key works perfectly fine.

As well, with the first key, it has some kind of battery drain issue. I have tried 3 different brands of batteries. The Chinese cheapy ones after a month of keyless go use, the cluster starts saying low battery and the LED won't even light up. With GP branded batteries after 2 months or so it starts having the same issue. I bought a pair of Duracell ones in the store over 2 months back and so far so good, but every once in a while it says low battery in the instrument cluster. Is the key just bad? What would cause an issue such as this?

Last edited by gaazmon; 07-22-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just a guess, but I suspect that you have a bad antenna. Maybe the ones in the doors are bad? All of the antennas can detect the key when it's within a few feet of the vehicle, but it triangulates the position based on signal strength. If one or more of the antennas is bad, it can incorrectly triangulate the position making the system think the key is inside the car.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Just a guess, but I suspect that you have a bad antenna. Maybe the ones in the doors are bad? All of the antennas can detect the key when it's within a few feet of the vehicle, but it triangulates the position based on signal strength. If one or more of the antennas is bad, it can incorrectly triangulate the position making the system think the key is inside the car.
I thought it might be something like that, since it was confused on the location of the key per the instrument cluster messages, but when I tried with my second remote everything works fine. Very odd. I have a feeling the keyless go portion of my first smart key is bad. I even used the same batteries in the second key and the second key worked perfectly fine.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Oh, I see now you said in post #1 that the second keys works fine. It does seem like you have a bad key.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Oh, I see now you said in post #1 that the second keys works fine. It does seem like you have a bad key.
Ah alrighty well i actually don't even use the keyless go feature that much so no biggie. I was wondering now if there's a way to remove the keyless go part from the remote chip (like if it's a single coil or something) that way to stop it from draining the batteries so fast. Couldn't find any pics comparing the regular key chip to the keyles go version one