CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

KMAC Rear Camber/Toe Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
KMAC Rear Camber/Toe Kit

I bought and had installed the KMAC rear camber/toe kit about 2 weeks ago.
Assessment;
1. they are not cheap ($)
2. they are made very well and the engineering seems solid
- the installation shop (Butler) was impressed
3. the installer took 3+ hours to do the install and align
- they had to remove the arms to press out the old bushings (frozen)
- normally, I think the removal tool from KMAC would work
4. rear camber adjusted from -1.9 to -.9 (car is lowered)
- the specified range is -1.8 / -.8
5. the improved handlings (steering seems lighter) may be due to other alignment adjustments. The front total toe was very negative (-.19). I tested holding tight curves on a couple of my local favorites.... All ok.
6. it takes more of the gas petal to break the tires loose from a standstill now that more thread is in contact with road. Braking is also more solid.
7. it also looks better from the rear without the excess (track) negative camber.

I received the incorrect toe bushing set in the initial shipment but Kevin (KMAC) did a great job in correcting the problem and getting me the correct bushings for the toe arm.

Very pleased with the product so far. I'll try to remember to update here again when I take it back to the installer for a check after a few thousand miles of driving.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
great review, i have been looking at purchasing the front setup but just went with oem camber bolts to see if that will fix my issue with a $30 part expense. i am currently using the ghostrider rear camber kit but have sent an email to K-Mac and waiting to hear back from them.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sweet jones
great review, i have been looking at purchasing the front setup but just went with oem camber bolts to see if that will fix my issue with a $30 part expense. i am currently using the ghostrider rear camber kit but have sent an email to K-Mac and waiting to hear back from them.
After the post I was thinking about my "they are not cheap" comment. The cost of getting them installed was more than I expected. The kit itself was around $400, which is much less than I paid for the cf rear diffuser.

If I were younger and had the time I could have saved $250-$300 on the install.

Just didn't want people thinking the kit itself is too pricey.... It is, IMO and pending on the results of the next 5K miles, a good value.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Excellent post. I have thought of getting these myself since I get new rear tires every 13,000 miles. But the price of the kit and install combined does make me have second thoughts. When my tires are toast, they are toast on the inside first, but it's not like they are nearly new on the outside edges. I figure I lose maybe 3,000 miles of use. It would take a while to pay for these at that rate. My car is not lowered though, so my negative camber is not that extreme.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah! I was changing the rears at about 12K miles. I ran the last rears about 15K miles, but the tire safety cords (white) were visible on the inner 20% to 25% of the tires. There was probably 5-6K of usage on the middle to outer edge. As others have posted, with pro-rating you can effectively get the usage up to another 5-7K miles.

My biggest driver for installing them was getting better traction on acceleration for more of the life of the tire, and some concern with being able to slow or stop the car well from 80+ mph. Generally after about 4-5K miles on a set of rears I could create quite a scene at will with tire squeal and too often, chirps when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
nice review im running ghost rider kit in the rear and no camber kit in the front and i tucked lol havent noticed any negative camber in the front though
Old 08-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cad. XLR, 99 & 05 NSX supercharged,2008 hayabusa Really fast!, wife Rode hard put away wet everytime
Rear Camber Kits??

Is the only reason to get a rear camber kit because of lowering the car? I have a stock C:K500 Cab. with oversized tires all around on stock rims. I'm getting 30 to 35 K out of my tires. I'm only on my third set of tires. at 68K total miles 285 Rear 245 front
Old 08-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cad. XLR, 99 & 05 NSX supercharged,2008 hayabusa Really fast!, wife Rode hard put away wet everytime
[QUOTE=Everythingsfast;6521667]Is the only reason to get a rear camber kit because of lowering the car? I have a stock C:K500 Cab. with oversized tires all around on stock rims. I'm getting 30 to 35 K out of my tires. I'm only on my third set of tires. at 68K total miles 285 Rear 245 front
Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Everythingsfast
Is the only reason to get a rear camber kit because of lowering the car? I have a stock C:K500 Cab. with oversized tires all around on stock rims. I'm getting 30 to 35 K out of my tires. I'm only on my third set of tires. at 68K total miles 285 Rear 245 front
I would say you're in great shape regarding your wheel alignment.

Lowering the car increases the negative camber and I don't believe there is a stock adjustment for the rear camber, hence you're at or beyond the range limit and the inner 25% of the rear tire threads are gone at 12K miles. If you're getting 30K miles from the rear, I would not install a camber kit.

I don't know but the 500 may not have had the designed negative camber, as the 550 does. My original rear tires only lasted 15K miles.

The suspension is much more complex than thought, before doing some investigation leading to the KMAC rear camber/toe install.