CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Electrical issues blues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Unhappy Electrical issues blues

In my 2003 CLK320, I started to have electrical issues. At first it was warnings about parking lights, then license plate, low bean, all together. The messages continue for a few months. The lights continue to work fine, I did change one of the bulbs, had no time to get more. Then during an hour long drive on an expressway suddenly all the warning lights went on at the same time for a couple seconds. Then ~5 min later the emergency lights went on and the driver side door lock closed. I turned off my radio and this happened couple more times at
random.

I pulled up to a gas station and checked the battery connections and restarted the car. After that it was all quiet for a couple weeks except the light warning messages when I start the car. Before that drive the car was outside on the driveway and it was very humid. I thought maybe it was it as the car is always in the garage overnight.

Yesterday I drove with my bike to mountain bike trails for couple hour ride. It was also very humid and the car set at the parking lot for about 3 hours. On the way back home (~10min drive) the emergency lights went on 3 times. Each time I pressed the emergency switch to turn them off.

The battery is few years old. Have no issues starting the car. I did replace audio including the headset, added amp in trunk and rewired the speakers about 5 years ago. Had no issues at all. As of maybe 1-2 years ago I did experience the head unit resetting once in a while or sometimes the sound cutting out for 5-60sec. I thought this Dynavin unit just had issues. All wiring appears to be solid with good connections although I did not pull out the head unit to check that wiring harness.

It is not related to pumps in the road so I do not think something is loose. It sounds like maybe voltage fluctuations?

Any idea what this couple possibly be and what to check?

Thanks for advice
Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Start with the usuals. Check the battery and cables, alternator output. After that it gets a bit hazy...but I would focus on the stuff you added/changed. Anyway, start simple and work your way around the car. When I had my Dynavin, it never reset on me or had sound issues. It froze a few times but that was it. Just something to think about.