CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 Coupe leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I can't be sure, but I though the channel was actually attached to the glass. But is it "pushed down" farther in the places it does not snap in than it where it does snap in?

I'm not surprised you have leak only on one side. The water still had to find an opening under there. And the original glass brand is Sekurit, so yeah, yours is new.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 sedan with sport package
Helpful video, and keep up the good work!!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by Martin_F
Alright, I took the plastic windshield cowl cover off and I did see what's supposed to be that channel. But whoever installed the windshield might have screwed up, as there is a step down from the windshield to the channel, and the web on the plastic piece doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the channel.

I pried the channel open some more as suggested above by Yidney. But I could only get a 10 inch section to snap into the channel. The remainder is actually worse than before.

I'll take it back off to see if I can get some more opening and try again.
Sorry I didn't get any pics today, will do that on the next try as well.
I was not suggesting you pry it up. I was only talking about closing its mouth. Take something - a few cards from a deck of cards or whatever - but find something that fits snug in the section of the channel that holds tight. Then use that to check the rest. Is it just as snug everywhere?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by Martin_F
Alright, I took the plastic windshield cowl cover off and I did see what's supposed to be that channel. But whoever installed the windshield might have screwed up, as there is a step down from the windshield to the channel, and the web on the plastic piece doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the channel.

I pried the channel open some more as suggested above by Yidney. But I could only get a 10 inch section to snap into the channel. The remainder is actually worse than before.

I'll take it back off to see if I can get some more opening and try again.
Sorry I didn't get any pics today, will do that on the next try as well.
Wait - I just read this again. You pried it open? I told you to close it not open it.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Yidney, mine was closed shut, no gap at all to lock the plastic piece in place.

Here are some pics I took yesterday after I removed everything again.
This is the drivers side, where it actually snapped into place. See how the aluminum piece is inline with the windshield?

Now this is the other side, and the aluminum piece is hanging down, the arrow from the plastic piece doesn't even reach down far enough the hit the channel.

Whoever installed the new windshield clearly didn't know what that aluminum channel was for.

I'll put everything back together and wait for the next rain. Maybe cleaning the drain tubes was all that was needed.
If not, I thing I need to get the windshield reinstalled.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Hard to tell for sure but it almost looks like it's not so much bent down as it is not all the way on the glass at that end - like it's rolled down. The bad news is that they may not be able to reinstall the glass. If you look close on the sides you'll see the little connections for the antennas. Those get set in the adhesive due to their locations and will be ripped off as the glass is lifted. When I had mine installed they installed it off center so that the black shade bands on the sides were very uneven, and I made them fix it. They had to put in a whole new glass.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 AM

2009 CLK 350
Just wanted to update this thread, as I feel too many people after asking for help don't come back reporting what actually fixed their issues.

After checking into windshield replacement cost, and reading about issues arising while just reinstalling the windshield (antennas, light/rain sensors,...), I decided to not go that route.

I bought some black silicone and applied a small bead right under the plastic piece (part #80 in the above schematic), wedged it together and let it dry for two days.

Since then I've been to the car wash and driven in the rain with no issues.
Looks like tomorrow will be a rainy day, so the car will be sitting in the rain while I'm at work. That should clear everything up

UPDATE:
The car has been sitting in the rain all day yesterday and it's still dry inside. I'm happy!

Last edited by Martin_F; 02-24-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
So glad to hear you solved the problem!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:24 PM

2009 CLK 350
Update after two month:
Unfortunately the sealer didn't hold up and I notice gaps between the wind shield and the plastic cowl piece.
So far the car is still dry inside, but I'll be sure to check after the next big downpour.
Maybe I get lucky and the clogged drains were the problem to start with...
Old 07-01-2017, 12:53 AM

2005 CLK500
Smile Cowl hood cover

Thanks for this thread. The driver side of the cowl cover has popped out of its slot/place. **praises to yidney for the experience, knowledge and writeup***. I am at a loss(my flaw)in figuring out the "aluminum strip" from the pics. Can you shed any light there? And second, how to get the wipers of after removing the nut/bolt?

Thank you.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 AM

2009 CLK 350
Originally Posted by jwb007
Thanks for this thread. The driver side of the cowl cover has popped out of its slot/place. **praises to yidney for the experience, knowledge and writeup***. I am at a loss(my flaw)in figuring out the "aluminum strip" from the pics. Can you shed any light there? And second, how to get the wipers of after removing the nut/bolt?

Thank you.
I know it's hard to see from the picture, but the aluminum slot should be right underneath the bottom edge of the wind shield. Mine in the picture is bent downwards that's why it doesn't look right. Just try to push down on the cowl cover to see what happens before you remove it.
If it just popped up recently and was fine before, that's all it might need.

To remove the wipers I just one of those small pullers to get them off:

The following users liked this post:
jwb007 (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:55 PM

2005 CLK500
Cowl hood cover

Update/ The strip at the bottom of the windshield was partially of. I had to adhesive back to the glass. That was reason why half of the cowl cover had popped out, and wouldn't pop back in place. Hoping that the adhesive stay bonded for a long while. I didn't take any pic, my apology.
Thanks to all who contributed to this tread. I had been living with this issue for sometime. I didn't know the actual name of the cover(cowl). Thanks to this forum for all the shared experiences.
We should take this concept and apply it to our everyday interaction with everyone. For everyone of do need each other, more than we can admit to.