CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Review of OE Tuning Purchase For NA CLK 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
Review of OE Tuning Purchase For NA CLK 350

Just a review of my experience with purchasing a CLK 350 tune and My Genius flash loader:

Initial purchase was easy, though the website is very sketchy on what exactly is required of the purchaser to make the tune happen. I received the flash loader, memory stick with tune, and all required cables.

The problem I encountered right off the bat was the need for Windows to host the programs. I still cannot find this stated on the OE tuning website's description of this item.

*Please keep this in mind all you MAC users -- you'll have to find/purchase hardware with Windows on it. I had to purchase a cheap laptop and acquaint myself with Windows 10. . .

The instructions also highlight in red the recommendation to hook your battery to a charger to stabilize it. If you don't already have a charger, guess what?

*I opted to buy a battery charger as recommended and charge the battery to 100%.

I had great difficulty loading the software into the flash loader. Nothing stated in the instructions actually appeared on the flash loader!

Fortunately, the sales staff at OE tuning was patient in responding to my emails, ultimately requesting that I send them the log files. They checked those, and sent back some new files to upload to the flash loader.

So finally I was able to hook it to my OBD2 port and begin. Only problem there was that the flash loader only showed the fuel adjustments, which I could scroll through and select. After several emails, I'm still awaiting a direct response as to whether making a fuel selection and running it actually resulted in all the other claimed changes (throttle response, speed limiter lifted, horsepower, torque, etc.). Seems so, but I really don't know. . .

After all this hassle, I suggested to OE tuning that they load the flash loader with the tune the customer purchased before they ship the item, so the purchaser will only have to hook it to the OBD2 and run it.

Their response was a surprise: OE tuning replied with an explanation of the uniqueness of each tune (which has no bearing on my suggestion) and that they will never consider such a thing!

It would have been better if they merely responded with "We'll consider it" (even if they never would). All they did was make me regret my purchase even more!

If nothing else, this underscores the problems in communicating vie email. Despite the patience of OE tuning sales, particularly Jeremy (others who replied didn't give their names), you get what you pay for if you opt for a flash loader from them over shipping your ECU.

Bottom Line: Web Description: 1/5, Tune and loader 3/5, Post Sale Help: 4/5.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by MadMan2
Just a review of my experience with purchasing a CLK 350 tune and My Genius flash loader:

Initial purchase was easy, though the website is very sketchy on what exactly is required of the purchaser to make the tune happen. I received the flash loader, memory stick with tune, and all required cables.

The problem I encountered right off the bat was the need for Windows to host the programs. I still cannot find this stated on the OE tuning website's description of this item.

*Please keep this in mind all you MAC users -- you'll have to find/purchase hardware with Windows on it. I had to purchase a cheap laptop and acquaint myself with Windows 10. . .

The instructions also highlight in red the recommendation to hook your battery to a charger to stabilize it. If you don't already have a charger, guess what?

*I opted to buy a battery charger as recommended and charge the battery to 100%.

I had great difficulty loading the software into the flash loader. Nothing stated in the instructions actually appeared on the flash loader!

Fortunately, the sales staff at OE tuning was patient in responding to my emails, ultimately requesting that I send them the log files. They checked those, and sent back some new files to upload to the flash loader.

So finally I was able to hook it to my OBD2 port and begin. Only problem there was that the flash loader only showed the fuel adjustments, which I could scroll through and select. After several emails, I'm still awaiting a direct response as to whether making a fuel selection and running it actually resulted in all the other claimed changes (throttle response, speed limiter lifted, horsepower, torque, etc.). Seems so, but I really don't know. . .

After all this hassle, I suggested to OE tuning that they load the flash loader with the tune the customer purchased before they ship the item, so the purchaser will only have to hook it to the OBD2 and run it.

Their response was a surprise: OE tuning replied with an explanation of the uniqueness of each tune (which has no bearing on my suggestion) and that they will never consider such a thing!

It would have been better if they merely responded with "We'll consider it" (even if they never would). All they did was make me regret my purchase even more!

If nothing else, this underscores the problems in communicating vie email. Despite the patience of OE tuning sales, particularly Jeremy (others who replied didn't give their names), you get what you pay for if you opt for a flash loader from them over shipping your ECU.

I considered OE Tuning as well but went with Eurocharged. The OE tuning email communication was very rude and unprofessional. The Eurocharged communication was seamless and the tune is great.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 CLK 350
So how is the end result as far as gains? Approx. cost?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Why did you give the tune 3/5? As I read your post, you are still not sure if it even loaded.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by eteller
So how is the end result as far as gains? Approx. cost?

My total cost for tune and mygenious was $500. Customer service was outstanding. Subsequent tunes after additional mods only $35.

It's hard to quantify the gain, except the car feels much more nimble. But when my buddy drove in my car for the first time after the tune, he said it was a "night and day difference". It's harder for me to access since I drive the car everyday. Clearly the gains in a 1.8L are going to be smaller than cars with bigger engines, and I don't think it's a huge improvement, but I'm happy. I'd give the eurocharged experience a 4 out of 5 (that is 5/5 for customer service, 4/5 for price, and 3/5 for performance)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
Update: Forgot to add this. . . When everything FINALLY worked out, the tune actually is set by selecting one of the octane choices (original, 91, 93, 100). Everything else dovetails from the fuel choice. I selected 93 octane and ran the tune. There is a noticeable change to reaction time for the gas pedal, and seemingly higher torque. I suspect that the horsepower also increased, as well as the other promised changes (speed limiter erased, etc.). With a OE-tested hp and tq change of about 20, it is about what one would expect. Within two days, however, the CEL came on. I plan to reload it to original at some later time to see if that eliminates the CEL after awhile, and then reload the 93 octane tune.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG

Update: Forgot to add this. . . When everything FINALLY worked out, the tune actually is set by selecting one of the octane choices (original, 91, 93, 100). Everything else dovetails from the fuel choice. I selected 93 octane and ran the tune. There is a noticeable change to reaction time for the gas pedal, and seemingly higher torque. I suspect that the horsepower also increased, as well as the other promised changes (speed limiter erased, etc.). With a OE-tested hp and tq change of about 20, it is about what one would expect. Within two days, however, the CEL came on. I plan to reload it to original at some later time to see if that eliminates the CEL after awhile, and then reload the 93 octane tune.
As advertised we supply map packs to suit your current mods and specific gasoline octane ratings. Selection of the appropriate tune to suit the gasoline you are using is the correct procedure to load each tune. All OBD2 flashing systems for Mercedes Benz require Windows OS or Android devise. This is clearly outlined in all documentation. Apple OS is not supported.
If you have a CEL, please see your tech to diagnose the fault. We recommend always returning to the stock map before service, as this is the easiest way to move forward in the event the ECU is updated by the dealer during service.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
My total cost for tune and mygenious was $500. Customer service was outstanding. Subsequent tunes after additional mods only $35.

It's hard to quantify the gain, except the car feels much more nimble. But when my buddy drove in my car for the first time after the tune, he said it was a "night and day difference". It's harder for me to access since I drive the car everyday. Clearly the gains in a 1.8L are going to be smaller than cars with bigger engines, and I don't think it's a huge improvement, but I'm happy. I'd give the eurocharged experience a 4 out of 5 (that is 5/5 for customer service, 4/5 for price, and 3/5 for performance)
I would think the person who drives the car every day would be in the best position to assess a sudden change, whether that be a tune, or new suspension bushings, or anything else.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:30 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I noticed a difference getting a eurocharged tune for my C32. I can't imagine much of a difference for a NA engine. I doubt Mercedes left 30hp on the table.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350 Sedan
Hmmm. I think I'll stick to stock for now. Thanks for the review though!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Sport
I also have the OE Tuning Stage 2 remap on my CLK 350 Sport -
To be honest I didn't actually realize I would need to download my original mapping and send to them first either (although it makes sense thinking about it), so I agree that instructions/a step by step guide could probably be clarified a bit on their website as I couldn't easily find how to do the transfer.

Aside from that, am extremely happy with the OE Tuning mappings! Even supplied extra decals free of charge when one of mine was damaged :-)

I have the 98 Octane mapping applied day to day as that's our premium petrol in NZ, definitely adds decent horsepower and also avoided my CEL light coming on after straight piping from the headers and removing primary cats.
Combined with the Flowmaster FX instead of Y-pipe, K&Ns and AMG muffler, it sounds great and performs beautifully - in addition to the power its much much crisper in throttle response, runs smooth and stable, and is totally reliable.

Have tried the 100 octane mapping a few times after adding some boosters to the petrol tank and its even more impressive, seriously quick - only downside is that it highlights the lack of limited slip differential on this model, as even with 19" 265/30 tires the power is way too much for the ETC, so an LSD is next on the list!
The following users liked this post:
SALES@OETUNING (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
I have the Kleemann K1 ECU tune on my 2009 CLK350. It gets rid of the throttle lag basically. Worth it I think.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by nzclk350s
only downside is that it highlights the lack of limited slip differential on this model, as even with 19" 265/30 tires the power is way too much for the ETC, so an LSD is next on the list!
You are having traction issues with the 350?

What tires are you running?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM

2006 CLK 350 Sport
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I have the Kleemann K1 ECU tune on my 2009 CLK350. It gets rid of the throttle lag basically. Worth it I think.
Do you not notice much power difference? Looks like they claim up to 305HP from the K1 alone?
Although that may be a little optimistic without also removing cats, changing exhaust, filters etc...

Last edited by nzclk350s; 09-23-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:21 PM

2006 CLK 350 Sport
Originally Posted by Agent-A01
You are having traction issues with the 350?

What tires are you running?
Yeah usually when pulling out of corners, which I guess is to be expected - apparently the remap also modifies/increases the TCU torque request and torque convertor stall, but not sure what effect that actually has on traction.
Im running new Toyo Proxes T1 Sports on the rear
Old 09-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Yeah usually when pulling out of corners, which I guess is to be expected - apparently the remap also modifies/increases the TCU torque request and torque convertor stall, but not sure what effect that actually has on traction.
Im running new Toyo Proxes T1 Sports on the rear
Coming out of corners hard you will have reduced contact patch; that's more so of a suspension issue.
You may be driving faster after the tune.

New tires/coilovers would help with that.

But if you are getting traction issues at a standing 0-60 then I'd say you need tires.
I have no traction issues with my tuned E500 using michelin pilot sport as3+

As for the TCU things, torque limiters and such, you would need a TCU flash to change those.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by Agent-A01
Coming out of corners hard you will have reduced contact patch; that's more so of a suspension issue.
You may be driving faster after the tune.

New tires/coilovers would help with that.

But if you are getting traction issues at a standing 0-60 then I'd say you need tires.
I have no traction issues with my tuned E500 using michelin pilot sport as3+

As for the TCU things, torque limiters and such, you would need a TCU flash to change those.
Echoing this. I have a 55 with oe tune. Goodntirea make huge difference. Also just want tobsaybfor anyone looking at this. The tune I got was great, notneven just for the money. Easy to install I have had 0 problems related to the tune. It makes no change to the trans. You have to send the tcu to them to be flashed.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:28 AM

2006 CLK 350 Sport
I think I did cheap out a bit too much on the tires, might have to take advantage of the special on Goodyear Eagles I've just seen.

Re the TCU changes, is that the case even when using an OBD loader rather than ECU unit flash? As I've seen a few outfits that offer TCU reprogramming via this port, and this is how I applied my OE Tune.
Not saying its definitely been modified, but those two things were explicitly mentioned by OE as included in modifications within the Stage 2 tune received for the handheld ODB unit.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Do you not notice much power difference? Looks like they claim up to 305HP from the K1 alone?
Although that may be a little optimistic without also removing cats, changing exhaust, filters etc...
Yes considering the car is 270bhp stock anyways. Huge change in lower end torque and of course de-limited top end. No throttle lag at all basically and much quicker up to 3,000 RPM. Cost me about $1,000 but well worth it for those who need that lower end torque. CLK350 you could get over 350bhp out of it but Kleemann will make you pay by doing cats, exhaust, filters, camshafts, Headers. the works! Big $ for those!

Last edited by C280 Sport; 09-24-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:57 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
I also have the OE Tuning Stage 2 remap on my CLK 350 Sport -
To be honest I didn't actually realize I would need to download my original mapping and send to them first either (although it makes sense thinking about it), so I agree that instructions/a step by step guide could probably be clarified a bit on their website as I couldn't easily find how to do the transfer.

Aside from that, am extremely happy with the OE Tuning mappings! Even supplied extra decals free of charge when one of mine was damaged :-)

I have the 98 Octane mapping applied day to day as that's our premium petrol in NZ, definitely adds decent horsepower and also avoided my CEL light coming on after straight piping from the headers and removing primary cats.
Combined with the Flowmaster FX instead of Y-pipe, K&Ns and AMG muffler, it sounds great and performs beautifully - in addition to the power its much much crisper in throttle response, runs smooth and stable, and is totally reliable.

Have tried the 100 octane mapping a few times after adding some boosters to the petrol tank and its even more impressive, seriously quick - only downside is that it highlights the lack of limited slip differential on this model, as even with 19" 265/30 tires the power is way too much for the ETC, so an LSD is next on the list!
Thanks for the write up mate!