CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A209 roof clunk and dong noise when going over bumps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK200K Convertible
A209 roof clunk and dong noise when going over bumps?

Hi All,

When i go over something like a speed bump I get a "dong" type noise, which I assumed was th exhaust hitting the body. So I took it into a garage and got them to check the exhaust mounts but they are all solid with no more play than they should have.

Also when my roof closes right at the last moment of closing it sometimes closes with a loud bang which is worrying! Opening is fine and its not every time when closing that it makes this noise.

So my worrying brain is wondering if the two noises could be connected? Could it be the roof mechanism loose and banging the car when going over bumps and causing some alignment problems when closing and causing the occasional bang when shutting? Or is my theory flawed and you (hopefully) know what one or both noises are?

Many thanks.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The roof banging may be the hinge on the soft top cover. The hinges have plastic arms in the center of them that are used to lock them in place and keep the cover open when servicing the hydraulic system. These arms often break and get trapped in the hinge making loud popping or banging noises. Since they are not used for soft top operation, if this is the issue, you can just break them off completely.

As for the clunks going over bumps, common causes are dry/cracked bushings on the anti-sway bars and control arms on the front and rear suspension (front anti-sway bar bushings are the #1 culprit).
The following users liked this post:
MrTaipan (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Clk320, 2004 clk55, 1997 sl500 Sport i
Originally Posted by MrTaipan
Hi All,

When i go over something like a speed bump I get a "dong" type noise, which I assumed was th exhaust hitting the body. So I took it into a garage and got them to check the exhaust mounts but they are all solid with no more play than they should have.

Also when my roof closes right at the last moment of closing it sometimes closes with a loud bang which is worrying! Opening is fine and its not every time when closing that it makes this noise.

So my worrying brain is wondering if the two noises could be connected? Could it be the roof mechanism loose and banging the car when going over bumps and causing some alignment problems when closing and causing the occasional bang when shutting? Or is my theory flawed and you (hopefully) know what one or both noises are?

Many thanks.
About the dong, open up your hood and if you see some sort of foam/sponge stuff on the front shocks strut then they went bad. Here's an example
The following users liked this post:
MrTaipan (04-09-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:37 PM

Hi All,

I think I may have sussed the roof problem. Looking at the way it it operates, there are the two hooks on the boot lid. They have a clear line of grease on them where the touch but one had a smaller line of grease than the other, so they weren't touching down at the same point. I adjusted them using the screw and in the few operations I tried there is no more "bang" when it closes.

I'll report back if it isn't that but so far so good...

Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Those plastic glides are only used when the soft top is open, i.e. stored int he trunk. They rest against the soft top to prevent noises. They do sometimes need adjustment. But, if your noises are occurring when the soft top is closed, these would not a factor.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 AM

That's odd because since the adjustment I have had a clunk free roof? All slots in nicely without any bangs or anything?