CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to fix pokes in door leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Convertible
How to fix pokes in door leather?

Owner before me damaged leather door by unretracted belt. Classic scenario with faulty retracting mechanism.
Is there any way to patch these holes? I kept my eye for a year on eBay selection of panels and not a single one was worth. My panel is in great shape and all I need is a leather fix.
New panel is out of question.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 CLK500
There are a variety of Vinyl/leather repair kits made just for this. Here is one: http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/aut...l=CLK#projects

Not cheap, but if you want cheap, they sell a cheap version at Autozone. It works OK, but color match is an issue.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Website is down. I'm not into cheap looking project. This is Mercedes. I want it to be perfect.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 PM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by merceBENZ
Website is down. I'm not into cheap looking project. This is Mercedes. I want it to be perfect.
Works fine for me.

This is the second time you have said this. You do realize that other people have different skills than you and can actually make reasonable repairs. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. This kit blends far better than you might think if you follow the simple directions. You can take it to an upholstery shop and they can apply the same kind of kit for you. Or charge you $500 to recover the door panel, and it still will not match because your door is 10 years old.

Get over the idea that just because it is a Mercedes it is something particularly special. It is an older used car. A nice one, but it is just a car.

By the way, aren't you the one complaining about a $45 genuine washer pump, wanting to cobble an off brand instead?
The following users liked this post:
insame1 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 PM

You misunderstood me. I meant cheap versions from AutoZone. I would love to check out your link but it is down.
I didn't offend anyones skills. I just want to get the best DIY result possible. That's why ordered original leather paint from German supplier.
There is no way I'm going to go to someone to fix that. I just want a good kit, not AutoZone cheapo.
Kind of offended.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:08 PM

Last edited by merceBENZ; 05-03-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 PM

2005 CLK500
Still up for me. Must be on your end.

How to fix pokes in door leather?-magic-20mender.jpg

Sorry you are offended, but, no offense, you sound a bit pretentious with your "it's a Mercedes" comments. I've been working on cars and bikes for 40 years, and my company is all about helping new people learn to do their own work, on BMWs. The brand means nothing. Willingness to put on the big boy pants and dig in means everything.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 PM

Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Down for me too
This site is temporarily unavailable
I'm looking for something to fix some small holes I've worn into the driver side seat bolster.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 PM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by ambit
Down for me too

I'm looking for something to fix some small holes I've worn into the driver side seat bolster.
Works every time I click on it.

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/aut...l=CLK#projects

Try Google: leatherrepairkits.com
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by ambit
Down for me too.
Link not working for me as well.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 AM

I would love to check out those repair kits but no avail.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 AM

2005 CLK500
Now I have tried the link from work as well, works fine. I don't know why it will not work for you guys.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Jim
Do you have before and after pics?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM

2005 CLK500
Jim
Do you have before and after pics?
I never used that particular product. I just pointed out a high end version. I have successfully used cheaper products, but you want only top end stuff.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 AM

Stop it! Don't start it again. You don't know my story. There is always something behind.

Can you show results of cheaper stuff? I mean your own work.

P.S.
Look at my signature under post. Should give you idea...

Last edited by merceBENZ; 05-04-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 AM

2005 CLK500
Stop it! Don't start it again. You don't know my story. There is always something behind.

Can you show results of cheaper stuff? I mean your own work.

P.S.
Look at my signature under post. Should give you idea...
Works both ways, but I will stop. No more comments, help, or even reading anything you wrote. Easy and solves all the issues.

Damn, fastest ignore on any forum I have ever been on!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Whatever
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Sorry you are offended, but, no offense, you sound a bit pretentious with your "it's a Mercedes" comments. I've been working on cars and bikes for 40 years, and my company is all about helping new people learn to do their own work, on BMWs. The brand means nothing. Willingness to put on the big boy pants and dig in means everything.
There is nothing wrong with "it's a Mercedes" comment. If you have worked on so many cars, you should know there is a, sometimes rather large, difference in engineering and quality between makes and models. The fact that it's an older car also has 0 to do with anything. People can demand and expect any level of quality from repairs and products. Instead of attacking people you could post a link that actually works.

Mercebenz, the repair process is fairly simple but you won't be able to match the color 100%, like I have said before. Your easiest bet is to go to ebay and source a used door panel for about 150-200$, if you want perfect. The leather kits involve filling the hole, sanding and painting so it will never be 100%.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 CLK 350
What's so hard about doing a google search for Vinyl/Leather repair kits?
Here it is:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Viny...26HBGTWmrjM%3A

And here is one of the first pictures that comes up:

Click it and it brings you to their website, where you can buy the actual product:
http://www.glasspolishus.com/leather...diy-repair-kit

Problem solved, please report back how it worked for you.

BTW: the above posted link works for me.

Last edited by Martin_F; 05-04-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 PM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by megacrazy
There is nothing wrong with "it's a Mercedes" comment. If you have worked on so many cars, you should know there is a, sometimes rather large, difference in engineering and quality between makes and models. The fact that it's an older car also has 0 to do with anything. People can demand and expect any level of quality from repairs and products. Instead of attacking people you could post a link that actually works.
I agree you can demand any quality you want. But just because it is a Mercedes doesn't mean that it is somehow special. It is a car. A nice car, a reasonably well engineered car, and expensive car when new. But a 12 year old mass produced car is nothing to go around proclaiming it is special.

I own a new BMW, a new Audi and a well used Mercedes, big deal, they are all just cars, easily replaced.

You can't be both cheap and demand top quality, which is what he is doing.

There was no attack, just tired of him acting like his old car is something special, when everyone here has one. Nothing wrong with being proud of your car, but damn, it is an old car after all. As for attacks, if you check a few posts, it was I who was treated rudely first, I was just trying to help, but that only elicited more BS!

As for the link, like I said, and proved, it worked for me. Any moron can google fabric repair and come up with a dozen companies that either do it for you, or sell it to do it yourself.

Last edited by JimVonBaden; 05-04-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 PM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by Martin_F
What's so hard about doing a google search for Vinyl/Leather repair kits?
Here it is:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Viny...26HBGTWmrjM%3A

And here is one of the first pictures that comes up:

Click it and it brings you to their website, where you can buy the actual product:
http://www.glasspolishus.com/leather...diy-repair-kit

Problem solved, please report back how it worked for you.

BTW: the above posted link works for me.
Exactly, it is not rocket science.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 PM

2005 CLK500

By the way, this link has specific colors that are supposed to perfectly match the Mercedes CLK colors, which is why I posted it. Has anyone else even bothered to try to help, other than Martin?

This kit looks to be a reasonable match for my car: http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/qui...Sand&item=1704

Yes, the link is obviously still working.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I agree you can demand any quality you want. But just because it is a Mercedes doesn't mean that it is somehow special. It is a car. A nice car, a reasonably well engineered car, and expensive car when new. But a 12 year old mass produced car is nothing to go around proclaiming it is special.

I own a new BMW, a new Audi and a well used Mercedes, big deal, they are all just cars, easily replaced.

You can't be both cheap and demand top quality, which is what he is doing.

There was no attack, just tired of him acting like his old car is something special, when everyone here has one. Nothing wrong with being proud of your car, but damn, it is an old car after all. As for attacks, if you check a few posts, it was I who was treated rudely first, I was just trying to help, but that only elicited more BS!

As for the link, like I said, and proved, it worked for me. Any moron can google fabric repair and come up with a dozen companies that either do it for you, or sell it to do it yourself.

Hmm link works in Firefox but not Chrome for some reason. Product looks good. Somebody should try it out

I still stand by recommendation though. There are entire door panels on ebay for 100$. Just find a good one and call it a day.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 PM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Hmm link works in Firefox but not Chrome for some reason. Product looks good. Somebody should try it out

I still stand by recommendation though. There are entire door panels on ebay for 100$. Just find a good one and call it a day.
I agree. If you want perfect, and are not afraid to wait for it, and pay the price, watch Ebay. Sooner or later one will come out. The color is pretty common.

By the way, works on Firefox and MS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to fix pokes in door leather?