CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheel alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 clk320 cabriolet (A209)
Wheel alignment recommendations

New tires put on today, replaced the Conti extreme contact with Bridgestone g-force comp 2 and promptly put about 100 miles on them. I think I will be very happy with the change. The shop gave me a free alignment check in my best interest of course. Overall not unappreciated but of course they wanted to sell me a $200 lifetime alignment package. I looked at the spec sheet and thought to myself before I drop any money on the alignment I might want to get some opinions that don't have a financial interest in the game so to speak.

Here is the spec sheet (I hope it uploads correctly)

Looking at the specs I should probably have an alignment thought the car drives straight as an arrow. The wear on the front tires was quite noticable on the outside edges. The rear tires had incredible wear on the inside edges. So this brings me to the rear camber question. Reading the forum I see our cars are designed with negative rear camber. I know there are adjustable arms that can take much of this out of the car. However, and this is where I get confused in the search for answers, it seems that replacing the bushings can bring the rear back into spec and possibly below -1 on stock suspension.

So my questions.
1) Did I understand what I read in the forums correctly and new bushings may get my rear right into a factory spec position thereby saving tire wear? I know some negative camber is necessary for performance in cornering and optimal camber is a preference type of thing. But dang those tires were worn heavy on the inside

2) Would it be better to forego the bushing replace and get adjustable camber arms? Sadly the K-Mac stuff is beyond my budget at this time

3) I know I need the alignment but would adjustment of that big cross caster pull me to the right horribly since it is straight as an arrow.

Thanks for your knowledge and opinions on this as I am just learning and am thankful for this forum for safe and trusted information.

Last edited by fivesmiths; 06-09-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:43 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
search for my recent "camber recommendations" thread where I posted my alignment specs done at the dealer. I am very happy with it. The tech told me bushes almost never go bad in the rear of these cars. I had replacements and he said not to bother having him put them in. My right rear camber was the same as yours. Left was -1.3. I got top speed camber arms on gixxers advice, very happy and glad I didn't get kmac.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Before paying for an alignment, as the shop, "do you do caster and camber adjustments?" If they say no, then leave. If they say yes, then ask them how, If they tell you that they will need to install special bolts on the front and adjustable struts on the back, then quickly pay them $200 for that lifetime alignment and walk away smiling! The reality is that you will likely get the answer that they do toe-only. A proper alignment on these cars will cost over $100 just in labor (I just paid $130 at my trusted indy shop - they spend about 2 hours doing it).
Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 clk320 cabriolet (A209)
Thanks tw2 much appreciated!! Will get some of those camber arms. Rodney having some sage advice that I will try on a couple shops. Thanks it's nice to know what I'm in for on an alignment as I made the stealership do it last time. On a side note I'm loving the new tires more than I liked the conti's For all seasons at a decent price these aren't bad at all. I had no idea the difference rubber can make in the car overall.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Your welcome. For future reference https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6817533
And another https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post6720912
Old 07-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
So after installing the rear adjustable camber arms, isn't the toe going to have to be set? Is that adjustable from the factory?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Front and rear toe are both adjustable, and in fact are the only adjustments that come "stock" on the car. Camber and caster require special bolts (front) or replacement control arms (rear, as you have installed).
Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
Originally Posted by GLENN S.
So after installing the rear adjustable camber arms, isn't the toe going to have to be set? Is that adjustable from the factory?
Thanks
The toe is adjustable, We have the rear camber arms on sale for $198. They are solid unlike some cheaper arms that use a hollow tube.
I have them on our clk and i know other members here have these arms also
Attached Thumbnails Wheel alignment recommendations-camber-arm.jpg   Wheel alignment recommendations-camber-arm2.jpg