CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CUSTOM AIR BOX FOR CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
CUSTOM AIR BOX FOR CLK500

`

X-Out

Last edited by COOPERDB; 07-01-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
c43
I wanted to paste the review from the c43 thread here so it can be in the right forum.
91ser was nice enough to come by and let me test fit my air box. Tonight it will be his 3rd time coming by to test fit and do another drive test if he has some time. Hopefully this will be the last test fit.

If you guys are wanting to make your car perform better this modded air box is for you! The box should make the same or better HP and torque than the C43 amg air box. The CLK air box to ME has less restrictive air movement on the inside than that of the C43 air box. Thats after my modifications though....And the CLK has the air filters on the SIDES, so thats a plus for sure.

If any of you have access to a dyno please email me. And if you like more information feel free to email me as well, thanks. Geo3617(@)gmail.com

Heres the review:

"Hey all,

Yesterday, speed43 mentioned he had a CLK500 out to help test the air box. That was me and just wanted to stop in and mention my thoughts on the airbox.

First off, the car is mostly stock. It has a brabus cat-back and the secondary cats were removed after they failed, and replaced with test pipes. Other than that, engine is stock. I've owned the car for nearly 4 years and have about 65k miles on it, so the butt dyno has been calibrated over and over

Fitment: Note, this box was not done yet, and I will be stopping by for more fitment testing. While testing the height, we found that the air box can be raised probably another 1/2. So I will have more details after we test it again. That being said, the fitment was great! It was literally a 10 minute swap, and 5 minutes of that we spent cleaning out my dirty *** air filters!! Haha. The hood closed with plenty of room to spare. We threw it in drive and revved it up a bit to see how much the engine moves under load, and there was still plenty of clearance. Note: I put in new motor and transmission mounts less than 3 weeks ago.

Power: As mentioned, the butt dyno did notice extra power. And it was pretty broad over the entire rpm range. Midrange was better and top end didnt die off as much. I know I can't offer numbers, but lets just say after swapping back to the stock air box, my ride home was less enjoyable. Its makes a noticeable difference. And I didn't notice that the low end torque suffered at all.

Sound: As mentioned, I have a cat-back and test pipes for the secondary cats. So the exhaust already sounds pretty great. This airbox added the air induction noise. For years, I have been removing the resonator boxes on Hondas and Nissans just for that wonderful intake sound. By removing all the baffles on the inside, it gives the V8 a wonderful sound.

Comments: After driving this car for 4 years, I am starting to get a little to use to it, making it a bit "boring" some days. After putting on this intake, I found that not only did I want to explore the extra power, but I really liked the better sound!! At idle and below ~25-30% throttle, I didnt hear much different. But once you cracked open that throttle, it really starts to sing.

"speed43 was also really cool in person. I got the impression that he really wants to provide something for our community. Considering how insanely small our aftermarket is, I applaud his efforts to create a reasonably priced alternative. Im excited to retest his box soon, and you might even find me rocking one below my hood soon."

Last edited by speed43; 07-15-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Heres the finish product for those of you who may be interested.
The air box thats scratched up is the one i modified. Bought that one from ebay...
You can see my air box is bigger, and the inside has been gutted all out. The engine will now breathe much better and perform as it should have from the start. And if you drive slow, the air box will give better mpg.

Email if you like to order one for yourself.
Cooper will hopefully have his by friday and hopefully will do a review if he can/wants. Thanks.

Last edited by speed43; 07-15-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
why not just use an E55 airbox?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
"why not just use an E55 airbox?"

All air boxes from mercedes and amg can be modified to perform better.

Last edited by speed43; 07-15-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
trying to tell from the pics. so the top of the box is straight all the way across instead of tapering down in front?
What is the total height of front of the box?
You plastic work does look well done
Old 07-06-2016, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

X-Out

`

Last edited by COOPERDB; 07-01-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by gixxerboy
trying to tell from the pics. so the top of the box is straight all the way across instead of tapering down in front?
What is the total height of front of the box?
You plastic work does look well done
Thank you for the compliment.

The part of the box that faces the firewall is lifted higher than the stock air box.
So this allows more air volume inside the box. But not just that, the inside of the stock air boxes have A LOT of plastic "fins" that stop air flow. Less air flow less HP/TQ. Thes fins are under the top part of the box and on the bottom of the box.

So I remove these and other stuff thats in there that causes restriction. The benefits is more air volume, better air flow, more HP, more TQ at all rpm ranges.

As far as the total height I will post later because I dont have a measure tape in my home. But I can tell you this, Its taller than the Renntech air box by about 1\2 inch. Their air box is 1 inch taller than the stock amg air box. This info I got from the web, some guy took pictures and compared the two air boxes.

My C43 modded air box has proven to make 10 HP and 10 pounds of torque. And I believe this air box will make a little more than that. Thats because the location of the air filters are on the side. And also the inside of the box is engineered better than the inside of the C43 air box. That of course is my opinion from whar I see..

I hope you guys get interested in my air box. I spent many hours and money developing and testing this box. I did it because of Cooper emailing me and wanting one done for his car. Its a mod that will give your car better performance as the computer adjusts to the new "heart."

As I said with the C43 air box, once you install my air box you will NEVER go back to stock. Geo3617[@]gmail.com

Last edited by speed43; 07-06-2016 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rwolak (08-22-2019)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

X-Out

Last edited by COOPERDB; 07-01-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Thank you DB!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2005 CLK55 AMG
I am glad to see you are making these speed, i will prob be placing an order for one once winter hits and my car is in hibernation. that way i can send my factory airbox instead of having to buy a new one.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Looking great. We need more projects like this.

Also, please dyno so we know gains. 75$ to have some concrete numbers is not exactly bank breaking.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by TMJCLK55AMG
I am glad to see you are making these speed, i will prob be placing an order for one once winter hits and my car is in hibernation. that way i can send my factory airbox instead of having to buy a new one.
Thank you. But you do not need to buy a new one. I include the air box and ship it to you. All you will need to do is install the side square boxes from your box to mine and your set. You can keep your original box incase you want to sell your car and buyer wants the stock one.

Also, if I can't sell at least 2 of these boxes a month I won't be working in winter.
So I hope people will see that my air box is a nice add on to the CLK.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Looking great. We need more projects like this.

Also, please dyno so we know gains. 75$ to have some concrete numbers is not exactly bank breaking.
Thanks. I don't own a clk500 and they guy that helped me test the box no longer has his clk500. Finding someone in Chicago that owns one is very hard so I can't dyno myself.

I also have another mod for this car and other models.
Right now I'm working on getting it dynoed for proof that it gives more power and much better throttle response. See link below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...43-others.html
Old 07-08-2016, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
If anyone lives in Chicago and would like to meet up to try the box and take it for a dyno test please contact me. Thanks. Geo3617[@]gmail.com
Old 07-08-2016, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by speed43
Thanks. I don't own a clk500 and they guy that helped me test the box no longer has his clk500. Finding someone in Chicago that owns one is very hard so I can't dyno myself.

I also have another mod for this car and other models.
Right now I'm working on getting it dynoed for proof that it gives more power and much better throttle response. See link below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...43-others.html
Great. Hopefully it shows some gains and puts an end to the 1500$ ripoff box from renntech...which I am running

Wish this was around before I bought the renntech.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Anything like this for the CLK550?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by Nero Tenebre
Anything like this for the CLK550?
If your car has room for the air box to be raised I can do one for you. You will need to send me some pictures of the air box showing the back end of the box to the firewall. You need to remove the rubber engine seal in the middle. Once that up you will see the metal that the rubber sits on. You will need to measure from the top of the air box to the top of that metal. So let's say it's 2 inches, I will than raise the box 3/8 less than that so the hood will close.

There are hardly any mercedes cars around my area so I need you guys to help out a bit if you want me to customize an air box for you. And do forget to check out my new mod, this will make your cars run way better and really nice throttle response. It will soon be dyno tested so if you want to wait for that. Link is above in one of my posts. Thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Great. Hopefully it shows some gains and puts an end to the 1500$ ripoff box from renntech...which I am running

Wish this was around before I bought the renntech.
It will show gains for sure, once the computer adopts it's a no brainier mod.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
I also would like to see a dyno chart. I cant believe that any improvements would be that great to be honest. It been a long time since any factory air box could not flow at least double the volume of air needed at full revs....and therefore any air box changes only really resulted in a nice intake noise. Modern air box designs have negligible restriction of air flow. Any perceived performance gains were usually as a result of the extra noise.......well that combined with serious weight loss in the wallet department! This is why even open or cone filters fitted directly on the metering head seldom show improvement on the dyno....and those that do show a top end increase usually pay for it with a flat spot lower down the rev range.Its funny how aftermarket air box and filter manufacturers always seem slow to produce dyno charts.....usually siting the cost! I am however more than happy to be proven wrong on production of a dyno graph with the profile of Table Mountain....lol!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by CLK200K-UK
I also would like to see a dyno chart. I cant believe that any improvements would be that great to be honest. It been a long time since any factory air box could not flow at least double the volume of air needed at full revs....and therefore any air box changes only really resulted in a nice intake noise. Modern air box designs have negligible restriction of air flow. Any perceived performance gains were usually as a result of the extra noise.......well that combined with serious weight loss in the wallet department! This is why even open or cone filters fitted directly on the metering head seldom show improvement on the dyno....and those that do show a top end increase usually pay for it with a flat spot lower down the rev range.Its funny how aftermarket air box and filter manufacturers always seem slow to produce dyno charts.....usually siting the cost! I am however more than happy to be proven wrong on production of a dyno graph with the profile of Table Mountain....lol!
I don't blame you for wanting dyno proof. Hopefully someone will want to dyno it. But like my c43 air box mod it took a while before dyno results were posted. Many of the c43 owners also thought my box mods would not do anything. But that was put to rest once the dyno showed 10HP/TQ improvement. Not to mention the smooth air flow all through the revs.

I'm just glad that I sold 5 air boxes right away to those that understood more air volume, less restrictive air box = more power. For the rest of the guys who wanted dyno proof before they bought one, they never did even though the proof was there.

Last edited by speed43; 07-10-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
GLWS lol. I wish this happened even 2 years ago. I would have swapped out my 55k intake for this. But not spending any more $ on my car.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by lowpost
GLWS lol. I wish this happened even 2 years ago. I would have swapped out my 55k intake for this. But not spending any more $ on my car.
If you're keeping your car you will love it even more!
It's a add on that really makes your car come alive.
And it feels so good to drive around. Add my new modification of the elbow of the maf and you will be thrilled. Seriously, if you guys don't get this air box you are really missing out. Wish I could lower the price but honestly it's a great deal for what it does.

And not just power, but also better MPG. This is only when you drive normal The cool thing is, you save gas when you want to, but the POWER will always be there when you ask for it.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by CLK200K-UK
Yeah, I don't really believe it either. These sorts of mods always seems to claim a 10 hp increase. Like it's a magic number. I'd need to know the conditions of the dyno testing. Was a "before and after" done on the same dyno on the same car on the same day? Just one test? 10hp is probably barely outside the margin of error of the machine even if no variables changed. And 10hp would be hard to tell on a 300+ hp car even if it was there. I still would bet that if somebody put this on and was all like "wow!" and then I snuck into their garage and put their stock box back on overnight they would still be saying "wow!" the next morning because they think it's on there. I'd bet $100 on that.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by Yidney
Yeah, I don't really believe it either. These sorts of mods always seems to claim a 10 hp increase. Like it's a magic number. I'd need to know the conditions of the dyno testing. Was a "before and after" done on the same dyno on the same car on the same day? Just one test? 10hp is probably barely outside the margin of error of the machine even if no variables changed. And 10hp would be hard to tell on a 300+ hp car even if it was there. I still would bet that if somebody put this on and was all like "wow!" and then I snuck into their garage and put their stock box back on overnight they would still be saying "wow!" the next morning because they think it's on there. I'd bet $100 on that.
And you would loose that 100 FAST. Cover your nose with one hand lightly and breathe.
Now raise your hand up some and breathe again. Raising the airbox and removing all the junk inside helps the engine breathe much better. And once your car is breathing better it pushes more air to the engine which now makes more power and better throttle response.

If you guys buy a box from me and you feel It does not perform as promised send it back for a full refund. Do other air box makers offer that for your cars? Maybe they do but I haven't seen it. And remember that there are only two options for your car (that I know of). Renntech and me speed43 air box, breaks down like this.

Renntech - $1580
Speed43 - $480.00

Renntech - charges shipping on top of the heavy price
Speed43 - shipping included in the USA. Outside email for pricing, what the post office charges is what you will pay. I don't try to make money from shipping. Label goes out with tracking number and PRICE paid for.

Renntech- you NEED to send them your air box. Down time without using your car? Who knows, but I'm sure it's not a short time.
Speed43- no need to send me your air box. Unless you want to sell it to me.

Renntech - beautiful air box, carbon fiber
Speed43 - OEM look and great looking too

Ok, I'm done trying to prove myself and trying to convince you guys.
Anyone interested send me an email and we can talk.
Thanks for reading. Geo3617(@)gmail.com

Last edited by speed43; 07-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slobo (03-15-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CUSTOM AIR BOX FOR CLK500