CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'05 CLK 500 stepper motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500
'05 CLK 500 stepper motor

Hello to all, new member here (although I've read multiple threads from other members in the past) and thought I'd join in to venture any possible suggestions on how to access the AC stepper motor(s) in my '05 CLK 500. I've read past posts on a certain "clicking" noise coming from the dash that lasts about 30 seconds when car is first started, then repeats when car is shut off. Based on what I read I'm convinced that noise is the dreaded stepper motor and or plastic gear that operates it.

My problem is, although I tried to follow some very thorough instructions on how to access/replace the unit(s) - including detailed pics from another member, it was for a different model MB which required removing panels/screws different from what I have. I'm usually pretty resourceful and can figure out most repairs, but after tearing apart half of my dash, I've come to a complete halt only because I've reached the point where if I go any farther... I could seriously screw something up costing me waaay more than what I'm will to pay for!

With that said, if anyone has experienced a similar problem with the same model CLK as mine and can share any insight with detailed instructions on how to make this repair I would be extremely grateful! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
post your VIN and list the specific motors you want to change!!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Before you tear into this, you need to know which motor it is. Your car has 10 of them, but they are all the same part. The problem is, some of these are accessible from the cabin, removing various dash components, but some of them are on the back of the duct and require it to be removed, which means removing EVERYTHING from the dash and then the heater core and evaporator. I'd pull the under dash panels (just a few screws hold them in place) and radio out and you should be able to see the ones that are accessible. Watch for the plastic arm "clicking".

If it's one of them, then go forward with the replacement, which usually involves removing the center console, center "stack" and some lower dash panels. If not, then either live with it or get ready for a huge job.