CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible Flap Cover Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Convertible Flap Cover Issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum.
I recently purchased CLK500 Convertible which is in fairly good condition but has a couple of issues with the convertible roof.

The main on is the a flap cover that wont close properly on the passenger side when i open the roof. If after opening the roof, i try and close it a tiny bit and then re-open it the flap closes properly.

Any ideas how to fix this? Can it be adjusted or do i need a new one?

(BTW, i know the silver panel is missing, the flap wasn't closed and i put the window up while driving and off it came. Its on the freeway somewhere!!)

Thanks,
The Raul

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes CLK500 - Just arrived
Maserati 3200GT - Gone
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo - Gone
Alfa Romeo 33 Q4 - Gone
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Regrettably those tops are not for the faint of heart----it's dealer time or find an excellent(someone that knows MB's) convet top repair place!!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I wouldn't run to the dealer just yet. You don't have any major issue, just some sort of interference. The position of those flaps is adjustable side to side etc. by the three ( I think it's three) screws that hold it on. You need to watch and see what it's hitting as it comes down. The second issue is the cable that pulls it up. But is the flap up like that before the rear panel contacts the car, or only after it comes down? If is does not stick up like that before the panel comes down, then it's not the cable. It's just hitting something.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Raul,

I have had the same issue on my 04 500. What is happening is the flap isn't pulled under properly to align with the compartment. There is a little lip underneath the panel that the bottom of the panel is supposed to slide into and lock into place. This isn't happening. What I did was bring the top to an almost closed postion to find out why it wasn't catching properly. Once I determined the issue I took the plastic flap and actually bent it back and forth to finally get it to slide in properly. Once I did that I haven't had any issues with it since! It did take me about 30 minutes to fix it but I'll take 30 minutes over 1 week at MB at 175$ an hour. Hope this helps!