CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

lower the roll bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK500
lower the roll bars

Went over a hump in the road and the roll bars popped up on my '06 CLK500. Manual says to take to dealer to have bars lowered when the soft top is up. When soft top is down it says you can manually lower them. What does the dealer do differently when the top is up? Why spend the money to have someone else lower them? Thanks, Terry
Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 AM

N/A
Terry,

I had the same issue about a year ago. I ran over a pothole and my roll bars came up with my top up! It was quite a pain in the *** but I managed to reset them myself. The dealership near me wanted the car for a day to fix the issue. At $175/hr I told them I'd do it myself. Basically if your top is down, its much easier if not. Well fear not I can help with that too. If you need assistance let me know!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 AM

2006 CLK500
Originally Posted by koolavz
Terry,

I had the same issue about a year ago. I ran over a pothole and my roll bars came up with my top up! It was quite a pain in the *** but I managed to reset them myself. The dealership near me wanted the car for a day to fix the issue. At $175/hr I told them I'd do it myself. Basically if your top is down, its much easier if not. Well fear not I can help with that too. If you need assistance let me know!
Koolavz I can use the help. Biggest gripe is having to pay someone else for fixing a safety related issue. This is BS. I'm waiting for daylight, but I was going to use the releases that are in the headrest locations noted in the manual. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some electronic "feature" that needed resetting by a dealer. Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 AM

2006 CLK500
Koolavz BTW, the top is closed.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 AM

N/A
Sure no problem! I'll explain as best as I can.

The easiest way to lower them is to move both seats to the forward position. As far forward as they'll go as you'll want to be comfy from there you have two options 1: using a long alan key or similar object find the stitching on the side of the headrests, from there follow it down with the alan key and push it into and down against the headrest. That will deactive the springs allowing for the bars/headrest to be lowered with quite a bit of force I will say. The second option is a little more time consuming but does make it easier. 2: Take off both side airbag panels in the rear and you'll be able to actually put your arm up into the side of the headrest/bar and lower is with same said alan key. I chose the latter as my alan key wasn't long enough to reach and I had trouble seeing the hole. With the panels off you can shine a flashlight back there and see right where to put it. I'd say give it 30 minutes and you'll be good to go!