CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Roof Wont Close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
CLK Roof Wont Close

I had some shopping bags in the boot of my CLk and I put the roof down. Now, it wont close with the cluster showing a message "top...visit workshop".

The boot partition is in the forward position. What I mean by that is, I can pull it towards me to open the sensor, but the partition just springs back, which leaves the sensor closed. I can hear a brief faint whirring noise if I lift the button up to open the roof (even though it's already open) and the message "top...visit workshop" if I press it down to close the roof.

1. Should the partition sensor in the boot be closed or open when the roof is down?
2. Should the partition close or lock if I pull it towards me, or should it spring back after I pull it towards me?

I've tried taping the sensor closed, manually holding the partition in the 'closed position' by pulling it towards me and trying to close the roof but I still get the message, "top...visit workshop"

I'm running out of ideas and would at least be able to nail down what the cause is, so I can focus on that particular issue.

Last edited by jamesbrew; 08-26-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You have been reading to much HS at Ben's Wurld---tapping or banging on sensors is a waste of time and normally advances the demise of the sensor---follow the instructions in the display or visit an indy who has the diagnostics---all else---live with it!!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
The partition should go firmly against what you are calling a sensor - it is really just a spring loaded switch. The purpose of that switch is so the car "knows" you have the partition pulled down so it's safe to open the top. If the partition springs back, then the top will not go down. The problem is the two little gas struts that hold the partition are weak - replace them. A common issue. However, you have another issue as well because the message you get if that switch is open is just one telling you to close the partition. But replace the struts first, then see where you are.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Yidney
The partition should go firmly against what you are calling a sensor - it is really just a spring loaded switch. The purpose of that switch is so the car "knows" you have the partition pulled down so it's safe to open the top. If the partition springs back, then the top will not go down. The problem is the two little gas struts that hold the partition are weak - replace them. A common issue. However, you have another issue as well because the message you get if that switch is open is just one telling you to close the partition. But replace the struts first, then see where you are.
My issue is that the roof is already down. Getting it up is the problem. (excuse the phrase!). There is a long bit of plastic in the middle of the partition pointing up into the roof. Is this where it locks when pulled? Perhaps the issue lies there?

Last edited by jamesbrew; 08-26-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by jamesbrew
My issue is that the roof is already down. Getting it up is the problem. (excuse the phrase!). There is a long bit of plastic in the middle of the partition pointing up into the roof. Is this where it locks when pulled? Perhaps the issue lies there?
Yeah, I understood that, but you asked two questions so I answered them. I don't think the top will go up either if that switch is open, but I never tried. Put the top up manually following the correct procedures, replace the struts, and see where you are.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You may be able to rig a rope or bungee cord to hold the partition in place to keep the switch tripped. The switch is actually designed to be fairly tamper-proof, to keep someone from tripping it wile the partition is not closed.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
while I waited for new pneumatic shocks, I used duct tape to hold a slightly bent paperclip in place keeping the switch tripped. Though I had to pray the wife didn't forget what I told her & crammed the trunk full of junk.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Mb clk 240 convertible
Did you get this fixed? Same issue here

I had some shopping bags in the boot of my CLk and I put the roof down. Now, it wont close with the cluster showing a message "top...visit workshop".

The boot partition is in the forward position. What I mean by that is, I can pull it towards me to open the sensor, but the partition just springs back, which leaves the sensor closed. I can hear a brief faint whirring noise if I lift the button up to open the roof (even though it's already open) and the message "top...visit workshop" if I press it down to close the roof.

1. Should the partition sensor in the boot be closed or open when the roof is down?
2. Should the partition close or lock if I pull it towards me, or should it spring back after I pull it towards me?

I've tried taping the sensor closed, manually holding the partition in the 'closed position' by pulling it towards me and trying to close the roof but I still get the message, "top...visit workshop"

I'm running out of ideas and would at least be able to nail down what the cause is, so I can focus on that particular issue.
Did you ever get this fixed? Im having the same issue and dont know where to look anymore. Please reply if you had it fixed and what you did to get it fixed
regards Samy
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Mb clk 240 convertible

Did you ever get this fixed? Im having the same issues
Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM

CLK 320
Locking Sensor was sticking

Originally Posted by Samy_araben
Did you ever get this fixed? Im having the same issues
where the roof locks into the top of the windscreen, there is a locking mechanism that was sticking. A simple clean out with a little lubricant fixed the issue for me.
If you look closely, you will see the lock in the windscreen is on a kind of hinge that opens and closes. Mine wasn’t fully closing when the roof was put down.

hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Mb clk 240 convertible
where the roof locks into the top of the windscreen, there is a locking mechanism that was sticking. A simple clean out with a little lubricant fixed the issue for me.
If you look closely, you will see the lock in the windscreen is on a kind of hinge that opens and closes. Mine wasn’t fully closing when the roof was put down.

hope that helps.
So your issue was in the front of the car while you had your top all the way down (open)? I will take a look at this directly tomorrow. Thanks alot for your reply. I hope mine has the same problem. 👍🏻