CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK240 (W209) Coupé
2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade

Hi. Since one of the four door speakers in my European manual transmission 2003 CLK240 (C209) has a ruptured cone, I am considering upgrading all four speakers to something a little better. I don’t listen to that much music in the car so it does not have to be a huge upgrade. Anyway, since I am trying to avoid the expense of removing the door panels just to check what speakers were installed by mercedes, I am not sure about their specifications. I checked the subwoofer above the trunk (please see attached photo) but there is no brand there, only a reference number from mercedes. The audio unit installed in my car is the Audio 10 with 6 cd changer.

Using the reference number above can anyone tell me what speakers are installed in my car?

I found a couple of items on ebay: Rockford Fosgate Link and Pioneer Link

Would any of these fit my car and be appropriate for my audio unit? I searched online using the reference of the Rockford Fosgate speakers (first link above) but they show up as being for class C mercedes, not CLK. The ebay seller however has titled them for the CLK model.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade-subwoofer.jpg   2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade-pioneer.jpg   2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade-rockfordfosgate.jpg  

Last edited by 2003clk240; 10-11-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
You have 6.5 component in the front . The rear are 6.25 . If your keeping the original sound system I recommend you get original speakers because aftermarket speaker will sound bad because the oem radios don't have enough power to run them
Old 10-11-2016, 08:59 AM

2003 CLK240 (W209) Coupé
Originally Posted by irokdastar
You have 6.5 component in the front . The rear are 6.25 . If your keeping the original sound system I recommend you get original speakers because aftermarket speaker will sound bad because the oem radios don't have enough power to run them
Thanks. So what you're saying is unless I also get a new head unit I should stick the OEM speakers (which I suppose are these - see photo), right?

Is there a way I can find out the specifications (wattage, etc) of the current speakers I have in my car without having to take the door panel apart?
Attached Thumbnails 2003 W209 Speaker Upgrade-oem.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Those look like 4 ohm DVC speakers, so you would have to find a efficient similar 4 ohm DVC pair. Try partsexpress.com

Last edited by eteller; 10-11-2016 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2003clk240 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:23 AM

2003 CLK240 (W209) Coupé
Originally Posted by eteller
Those look like 4 ohm DVC speakers, so you would have to find a efficient similar 4 ohm DVC pair. Try partsexpress.com
Thanks. I am not 100% sure but I think my current speakers are indeed 4 ohm. I know the subwoofer (mercedes part A 203 820 41 02) is. I also know the tweeters are 8 ohm (mercedes part A 203 820 08 02). It's just the door speakers I have no idea. I also don't know what the wattage is.

Isn't there a way to search online and see what OEM speakers are installed in my car? I tried with the VIN number but that doesn't tell me anything.

Last edited by 2003clk240; 10-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM

2004 CLK 500
the only way to find out is to pull one out and test it with millimeter . Most speakers on the market are 4 ohms but you will still run into an issue with the front speakers. since components use a crossover the head unit wont be able to give it enough juice to run the speaker .
The following users liked this post:
2003clk240 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:45 PM

2003 CLK240 (W209) Coupé
Aftermarket Audio Unit

I'm beginning to realize that it's probably easier to replace the whole sound system. I am looking at Pioneer models and I really don't need a very expensive system. I'm having trouble finding something that will drive 7 speakers (2 tweeters + 2 Front + 2 Back + 1 Subwoofer).

Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 CLK 350
You are going to need an amp. The more speakers you drive with said amp the better. A five channel amp would be ideal, but you could get away with just a sub amp and drive the rest off a 4ch head unit.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 CLK350 Cabriolet with 18" AMG Fitment TSW Rims
I just got done upgrading my 2009 CLK350 Cabby with this unit:

http://www.seicane.com/android-gps-n...usb-sd-s018812

Dimensionally it was the only thing that fit. Not an easy upgrade. Started with using the Head Unit's amp and an amp for the Center Sub but it just doesn't cut it power wise.

This Android unit is buggy, I'm still waiting for a Software Fix for the OBDII app that doesn't recognize the paired BT adapter. I'll say this much: This unit is no Alpine!
Old 10-13-2016, 03:45 PM

2004 CLK 500
kenwood is also a very good headunit and they have a better ground on the rcas . To run your speakers get a good 5 ch amplifier . Front channel will drive the front tweeters and woofers . The rear channels will drive the back speakers and the Sub channel will drive the sub woofer . you should also pick up a trim kit . it will come with a specific wiring for your vehicle so you dont need to cut into your oem wiring . Once you have everything its simple .
1. Just run 3 sets of RCA'S to the trunk . Also Run Amp turn on wire , rear camera video wire with power wire. All this on the driver side of the car .

2. To run amp power cable . Open hood remove Ac filter and car battery . There is a grommet there which will allow you to run wire into the passenger side . Do not over do it with a 0 gauge wire an 8 or 4 gauge will work fine and is easier to run them . I put some silicon spray on the wire to run it in through the grommet.

3. Figure out where you want to mount your amplifier . On the convertible there is a shelf in the back of the trunk which you can mount there . It really up to you .

4. now take 3 sets of speaker wires and run them to the old amp location and tap into the harness for the speakers . make sure to mark them so its easier when you connect the other side to the new amplifier .

5. once you did all this now you can start to work on the headunit . Metra makes good dash kits and i recommend you get the one with the wiring harness so your not splicing into your wiring . Use the headunit manual and connect the correct wires to the metra kit . now before you turn on your headunit and before you install the battery back in make sure you connect the rcas to the unit before powering it . otherwise you will blow a fuse inside the headunit and it will give you a buzzing sound . now connect the battery and put the fuse in the fuse holder on the amplifier positive wire . Always leave that fuse as close to the battery as possible.

6. Test everything and make sure everything is working from rear camera , try using the fader and make sure all 4 speakers and sub are working . once your happy shut the car off and finish installing the headunit .

7. now move on to replacing the speakers . You do this last because sometimes people hook up the speakers the wrong way and you rather blow the oem speaker than the new one . Now remove the door panels and install the speakers . The rear speaker is easier because you just pop off the old speaker and add a new one . the front will need the crossover mounted somewhere to run both the speaker and tweeter . The best place i have found is under the arm rest right next to the rear speaker . I used good velcro or what you can do that will make it even easier is mount it in the storage area in the door . just make a small hole to run the wires through the door card and use some easy disconnect plugs in case you need to remove the door in the future . This is better because some crossover have 3 setting for tweeters and if you want to change it you will need to have access to it so it will mean you need to remove the door card again .

8. Do not go and blast your new system just yet . typically if your speakers are lets say 50W RMS ( Remember RMS ) You will need an amp that can handdle 60 or 70 w RMS . Same goes for the subwoofer do go and get the loudest one on the market make sure it matches your amp .

9. tunning . get a good millimeter and set all your gains to 0 on your amp and do not play arround with the eq on the headunit . keep it flat . googel how to tune amp with multi meter and you will get tons of videos. it takes all but 5 minutes to do this step . a On your amp always put the 4 speakers on HPF or high pass filter and you want to set it to about 120 or 150 . For the subwoofer a safe place is 80. What i do is once i know the limit of my setup i mark it on the amplifier and i tune it down just a bit . Then i use my system for a good 4 weeks then i bump it back up . This will insure you dont kill your speakers

10 . All this take less than a day to do if you have all the parts and planned your install in advance . I would put terminals on my wires and all the small stuff before so when your ready to do this its not taking up time from the install . Typically i put all the wires going from driver side back together and make a harness since the all meet up in the same place in the back . its easier to run just don't make them bulky . Last peace of advise i have and this is very important if you buy crappy products expect just that . dont buy a good headunit and some no name brand amp , speakers ,rcas etc you will just have issues and will end up paying twice. IF you need help picking speakers etc PM me i will help you .