CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

[Video]Gear shifter moves when accelerating hard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350 Cabrio
[Video]Gear shifter moves when accelerating hard

Heloo everyone
So recently i my shifter started to move upwards as i accelerate hard. Some buzzing sound also comes from under tranmission. This only happens when car is in D. In R everything is fine. what can it be ? my friend sad it could be transmission mounts. here is the video of it.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
With so much movement the mount should be completely broken. You can get one side of the car on a high curb and get under it to inspect. It looks like it's completely loose, so should be easy to spot.

Engine mounts look ok?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350 Cabrio
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
With so much movement the mount should be completely broken. You can get one side of the car on a high curb and get under it to inspect. It looks like it's completely loose, so should be easy to spot.

Engine mounts look ok?
i think engine mounts are ok. everyone says mounts, but what gets me confused is that, when accelerating in Reverse everything is fine. There is no such a movement. I dont even know where is that mounts on transmission. Tomorrow i ll get to workshop. I am afraid they l ll say its becouse tranmission have problem, torue corverter or something.. theese parts are too expensive
Old 11-24-2016, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Reverse loads the engine in the opposite direction, so a completely separated engine mount that lifts up in drive, will not in reverse.

If you put the car in drive, press the brakes hard, then press the gas and release, do you see the engine moving around a lot? Compare to doing it in reverse.

It's very normal for these cars to need the mounts replaced, if you've never done them it's gonna be due anyway.
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's definitely movement of the transmission that is pulling on the physical linkage rod that runs between the shifter and the transmission. The transmission and engine are supported as one unit with two oil-filled mounts on the front (directly below the exhaust manifolds of the engine) and a single rubber mount on the rear, at the back of the transmission. For that much movement, if it's the rear mount, it's totally gone. I suspect it's a collapsed front mount. Here are WIS docs that will help you locate them:

http://benzbits.com/w209/EngineMount.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/RearEngineMount.pdf

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Are there any other symptoms? Your car seems to sound and run fine.

If you're really worried that they'll try and do a number on you, have them inspect the mounts in front of you - all of the engine, transmission and differential mounts.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
How many miles are on the car?