CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

M272 V6 balance shaft failure hmmm...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK350
M272 V6 balance shaft failure hmmm...

hello!

I was curious how common exactly the balance shaft failure is on m272? also I wanted to know when the balance shaft failure does happen/ or when I receive the CEL codes for it how long does it take for the engine to go bad? weeks? days? months? or is it immediate and the car just turns into a giant paper weight? my 2006 CLK currently has 95,000 miles and its actually been totally reliable its such a shame that the one problem it might potentially have is a catastrophic one..
Old 12-08-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
First, have you confirmed your engine is in the affected range? Maybe all 2006 engines are, I don't remember. As for how many are affected, I don't think anybody knows for sure, but the general consensus appears to be that it is a relatively small percentage. What does "relatively small" mean - not sure, but I'd bet my own money its under 10% - maybe way under. It is an abnormal wear issue, so by the time things are worn enough to throw the telltale codes the engine needs attention, but it's not like it just blows up. I'm sure there are people who have put a bunch of miles on their cars with the CEL on rather than spend the money to do a major repair on what are now 10 year old cars. If I were you, I'd stop worrying about it and deal with it if and when it happens.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
All MY2006's with the M272 and M273 engines will be in the range for potential failure. Apparently, the supplier for these balance shafts and sprockets had a problem with their manufacturing process from day 1 when these engines were first sold (calendar year 2004) and it continued until sometime mid calendar year 2006 (during the MY2007 build) when MBZ discovered the issue and had the supplier correct their production problems.

Now, the problem with these parts did not affect every one. In fact, I suspect it's a very small percentage, maybe less than 1% of all of them. The reason I say this is that it doesn't show as a blip on any of the user car quality review sites - cars.com, edmunds, consumer reports, etc. There is, however, another theory, that all of these will fail early, it's just a matter of "how early". Some will fail at 10K miles, others at 20K miles, some may make it to 90K, yet others will make it to 200K. But keep in mind that anything beyond 300K would just be considered "normal" wear - nothing lasts forever!

As for what happen when you get the error codes, the variable valve timing system can actually compensate and you should not have any ill effects, other than the MIL being illuminated. The engine can actually operate like this for a long time. Even if the sprocket wears away to a nub, it should still work. The concern I'd have is that it will eventually compromise the timing chain, but I;d guess this would take many thousands, if not many tens of thousands of miles.
The following users liked this post:
zejj (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
All MY2006's with the M272 and M273 engines will be in the range for potential failure. Apparently, the supplier for these balance shafts and sprockets had a problem with their manufacturing process from day 1 when these engines were first sold (calendar year 2004) and it continued until sometime mid calendar year 2006 (during the MY2007 build) when MBZ discovered the issue and had the supplier correct their production problems.

Now, the problem with these parts did not affect every one. In fact, I suspect it's a very small percentage, maybe less than 1% of all of them. The reason I say this is that it doesn't show as a blip on any of the user car quality review sites - cars.com, edmunds, consumer reports, etc. There is, however, another theory, that all of these will fail early, it's just a matter of "how early". Some will fail at 10K miles, others at 20K miles, some may make it to 90K, yet others will make it to 200K. But keep in mind that anything beyond 300K would just be considered "normal" wear - nothing lasts forever!

As for what happen when you get the error codes, the variable valve timing system can actually compensate and you should not have any ill effects, other than the MIL being illuminated. The engine can actually operate like this for a long time. Even if the sprocket wears away to a nub, it should still work. The concern I'd have is that it will eventually compromise the timing chain, but I;d guess this would take many thousands, if not many tens of thousands of miles.

thanks Rudeney I appreciate the insight!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
We had it on my wifes clk, she drove it for about 4 months before we traded it in, never had an issue with it