CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Thinking of a CLK...talk me out of it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
You have not said whether you are looking at a convertible or not. If yes, make sure to inspect the seam at the back above the rear window. That's where they start to separate. The top can be removed and sewn, but gluing is not a good option. A 2005 will be post-facelift in terms of the newer systems, but will not have all the changes. The climate control buttons are not electronic until 2006, and the center armrest is still the one where you lift the lid instead of the sliding door that came in later. Not huge deals. If a convert, you can pull the little door on the left side of the trunk lining and check the fluid level, which may tell you something about the health of the hydraulics.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Convertible
I didn't know about that trunk door. I will definitely check this out.
Thank you!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Yidney
You have not said whether you are looking at a convertible or not. If yes, make sure to inspect the seam at the back above the rear window. That's where they start to separate. The top can be removed and sewn, but gluing is not a good option. A 2005 will be post-facelift in terms of the newer systems, but will not have all the changes. The climate control buttons are not electronic until 2006, and the center armrest is still the one where you lift the lid instead of the sliding door that came in later. Not huge deals. If a convert, you can pull the little door on the left side of the trunk lining and check the fluid level, which may tell you something about the health of the hydraulics.
All good info re: the soft top seam and hydraulic fluid level, but the climate controls buttons did not change after the facelift - there are two systems, one for the V6 and one for the V8. The V8 has the enhanced system with digital displays for temperature, the V6 is more "plain". As for the center armrest, I prefer the older style over the newer "rollerblind" style - the older version has more storage room and is a more comfortable armrest.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
All good info re: the soft top seam and hydraulic fluid level, but the climate controls buttons did not change after the facelift - there are two systems, one for the V6 and one for the V8. The V8 has the enhanced system with digital displays for temperature, the V6 is more "plain". As for the center armrest, I prefer the older style over the newer "rollerblind" style - the older version has more storage room and is a more comfortable armrest.
What you talkin' about Willis? Ok, it wasn't 2006, but look at any 2007 350 and it has the electronic temp controls.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Originally Posted by Rudeney
the climate controls buttons did not change after the facelift - there are two systems, one for the V6 and one for the V8
The buttons did change after the facelift. The digital controls belong to the optional upgraded AC system called "Luxury Climate Control". It adds a charcoal filter, more sensors and flaps and allows for more customisation. Plenty of V6s and diesels have it.

Pre-facelift regular AC.

Post-facelift regular AC and Luxury AC.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
The buttons did change after the facelift. The digital controls belong to the optional upgraded AC system called "Luxury Climate Control". It adds a charcoal filter, more sensors and flaps and allows for more customisation. Plenty of V6s and diesels have it.

Pre-facelift regular AC.

My 350 has it!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab

Pre-facelift regular AC.

You sure about that? Are you saying there are 2007-09 350s out there with manual controls where somebody didn't buy the "luxury" option? I have my doubts about that. I think post-facelift they still used manual controsl for a year - albeit shaped differently than the pre-facelift manual controls, then they all switched the new style.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
You came into the CLK section hoping we would talk you out of it? Hahahaha.

I started with an 03 CLK500, which has been bulletproof (minus a few broken pcs when the deer hit it, haha). I now have an 08 CLK550.

If you can afford the 550, I highly recommend it. The extra power/torque is really nice. And the 7 speed is much improved (still not amazing). And the face lift really puts a more modern spin on the interior.

That being said, I still love hopping in the 500. Its reliable, has great torque, good power, and the interior is still luxury at its best. Basic maintenance has gotten me to over 100k on the 500. Change the oil, flush the transmission, mostly good to go. I replaced the MAF and CPS for electronics. The struts blew out, but thats more chicago roads than anything. I added Bilsteins and its been great since.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C280

Well I pick it up on Tuesday....lets hope it all goes well.

Now I just have to keep it under wraps until May. That will give me some time to go through it and see what preventative things can be done.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 CLK 350
Can we see a link to the listing? And how much did you pay for it?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
jspbtown, congratulations - it's a stonker!

Yidney, here's a 2005 with the luxury AC, here's a 2009 with the basic one. True to the general rule - more later cars come more loaded, which is dictated by both supply and demand.

Last edited by shadenfroh; 01-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
jspbtown, congratulations - it's a stonker!

Yidney, here's a 2005 with the luxury AC, here's a 2009 with the basic one. True to the general rule - more later cars come more loaded, which is dictated by both supply and demand.
Oh, in Europe maybe. I was thinking of the US. I don't think that is true here.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by jspbtown

Now I just have to keep it under wraps until May. That will give me some time to go through it and see what preventative things can be done.
Looks good. Funny how tan that interior looks when the car is white, but how white the same interior looks when the car is darker.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Congrats!! I like my coupes better, but some days I could see owning a convertible. Especially a nearly 400hp one
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Here's the pre-facelift climate control - standard on left, advanced on right:

Here's the post-facelift (MY2005+) standard climate control:

And the post-facelift advance version:

In both cases, the difference is in the fact that the advanced version has a digital display for the temperature setting, an activated charcoal filter, and the ability to select different vent outputs for both passenger and driver.

My understanding is that for USA models, the V8 came standard with the advance system, but the V6 came with the standard version. There may have been an option to upgrade to the advanced system on the V6. I will say that the CLK had some strange option availability. For example, some years, the "AMG sport appearance" was optional on the V6, unavailable on the V6, or optional with no extra cost on the V6.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE

Congrats! Looks like a nice car. Why are you keeping in under wraps until May? Oh, wait, is that because you are in the "snow belt"? That's too bad. Although we are expecting some small amount of snow here tomorrow in Dixie, and it will surely shut down everything for a day or so, I rarely go more than a week without driving with the top down. As long as it's sunny and above 50F, the top goes down!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 PM

2007 C280
Yes...I am in the snow belt....but that's not why.

It is a gift. The occasion is not until May but when the right deal, in the right location comes along you have to take it.

I will put it in my shop, change the oil, replace the filters, check the brakes, probably flush the brakes as well, probably change the serpentine belt, maybe flush the coolant, have the tranny serviced, and anything else that might need to be addressed. I will hook up a trickle charger, cover it, and forget about it until May.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Looks great! How much did you get it for?

We bought an 05' CLK320 from our friend. That was our first German can. Had it not been for the clk I can honestly say I'd never look at a Merc in the first place. The stigma of high maintenance was always thrown in the face...etc.

I did have to work on ours but it's ok, I learned a lot and then realized that they really aren't hard to work on. We ended up selling it to a friend a month or so back and I picked up an e350 mainly because we needed a 4 door car.

I like Mercs a lot, more of the not brand new stuff... the new ones just look very out of place to me compared to the classic Mercedes look of what they should look like.

All the things you listed above to do are super easy on the car btw and not expensive which is nice.

-Nigel
Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Lovely choice there. That car almost looks like mine bar the wheels and interior and of course mine being a coupe.
I have the latest style AC system and as members have posted here, I think its best because you can check the system yourself and one of the options show the battery voltage as well as rpm and speed if I aint mistaken on those digital late version AC controls.
It would be good maintenance to do the coolant fluids as well as maybe adjust the park brake via the rear seat which is quite easy from the WIS steps. You might want to get that as well after you get the car as it has valuable information about MB models.

If the rear tire wear becomes a pain for you as it may be to some, just go ahead and buy the rear adjustable camber setup. I thought of it then I realised if Mercedez wanted it, they would have fitted it from the factory. Surely the engineers thought otherwise with this as I have noticed on a lot of their new models as well as BMW and some other performance platform vehicles. All have the rear slight negative camber that wears the inner tire more than anything else.
Good luck and enjoy the car. One thing for sure is, W209 models are rare regardless of the engine size. I don't see many around in my area or on the roads and when you do, they are as mentioned by a member above, one of the best MB models to have been manufactured.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Looks like a very nice find. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
I'm a little late to the thread but My wife has a 2005 320CLK
We bought it CPO from the dealer with an extended warranty.
The wife fell in love with it at first sight so that means we probably paid a little too much.

The Extended warranty was a god send. The roof pump went on it. The EBrake was broken, water under the rear seats and a host of other issues all under warranty. There was a Body shop sticker on the door jamb which I couldn't find anything about, yet carfax was clean.

She's had her front & rear bumpers fixed/replaced a few times. The drivers door was backed into. No major accidents. We took it to an authorized MB repair center where they used MB parts.

I do most of the maintenance. She has 110K on her odo today, got her with 17K 7 years ago.

The only thing really major was the top. It's gotten stuck a few times. The ECU programming was lost once for no apparent reason. A second time it lost it, but it reset itself the next day.
The idler pulley shattered shredding the serpentine belt. THe fresh Continental belt shredded during the test drive, but the Gates on there now is fine.

Lots of niggles : plastic parts are getting old & breaking. The A/C vent got sticky (denatured alcohol works), the seats are showing their age (Indian ink covers up the black stress marks well), the driver headrest doesn't always rise properly and needs to be reset, the radio plastic was separating ( I replaced the plastic. it's happening again. Time to replace the whole fascade), the headlight lenses need to be replaced/refinished, the rubber on the suspension is starting to groan, and the latest is a unpleasant whine when cold from the transmission

But the wife loves it, esp with the top down on a sunny day.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 PM

2007 C280
Well I got it.

2005 CLK320 43k miles. $11k including all dealer "fees".

Drove is back 300 miles and it drove well. A little creak from where to top meets the windshield on the left side (I am picky) and one windshield washer jet is plugged. Other than that everything works great and it drove well. Less power obviously than my 6 series cabriolet but still plenty for the guy who is getting it.

I am thinking of getting the tranny serviced. Right now there is a red cap on the fill tube. Did I read that meant it was serviced at one time already? Or just maybe that means the level was checked? I will also go and check all the filters, replace the serpentine belt (God there is a lot of room up there!), inspect the brakes and I think we are good to go.

Best of all..it came with 3 keys!

Thank you to all who provided guidance. I think it will be enjoyed.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yes the red tab means someone has been into the filler tube. Most likely means fluid change since I don't think they routinely check the levels.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
... A little creak from where to top meets the windshield on the left side (I am picky) ...

Read the threads on this. I bought the MB lubricant off an ebay seller. Not cheap, but not crazy and you use very little.

For a quick cure? a very light coating of petroleum jelly or mineral oil.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The MB lubricant for the soft top top is THE thing to use. It's expensive - $40 for a tiny vial - but it will likely last as long as you own the car.

As for the red tab on the transmission dip tube cap, I don't believe that indicates it has been serviced or not. Some are black, some are red. My ML had a red tab from the factory (and I know as I picked it up there) but my C had a black tab.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a CLK...talk me out of it?