CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Introductions and Modification questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 CLK550
Introductions and Modification questions

Greetings MBworld!

My name is Eric, and I just recently bought a '07 CLK550 with 62k, black on black. I love these forums, they are an excellent resource for a MB neophyte like me (last car was an e36 m3). just thought I'd introduce myself, and I had a few questions about mods.

First off, here's my current wish list:

Eurocharged tuning (ASPerformance in Daly city will be my go to here)
Quad Exhaust
Shorty headers (kleeman?! I want to be smog legal here in CA)
CF front lip (Gary from suvneer should be sending me one soon).
Weight loss: Lightweight 18's, lightweight brake rotors, center console delete, spare delete. Perhaps CF hood and trunk.
Very minimal lowering, just to get a little more of a mean look.

My first question is this. After the Eurocharged tuning, the first thing i will do is get a quad exhaust. I'd love to have a true, dual muffler quad exhaust, because that is more legit, but I happen to have a girlfriend who would kill me if the car is too loud. Is there any way to have a 2 muffler exhaust that isn't car-alarm-setting-off-loud? A small increase over factory is fine, but nothing to crazy. I like what I've heard of magnaflow mufflers, that deep sound is mighty sexy. Any advice?

If anyone wants to share there experience with some of these mods I'd be receptive, I've read quite a few posts about quad exhaust, tuning, and weight reduction, but am always interested to here more feedback. I love the torque of this car, its balance between luxury and power, and I have seen so many gorgeously and very tastefully modified versions here on the forums.

Thanks for reading and contributing, glad to be a member now!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum, Eric. I'm not too knowledgeable about tuning, but since you intend to do some exhaust work, you might want to consider a custom tune that matches the ECU program to the specific exhaust mods.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Congratulations on the purchase. The CLK550 is a very nice and quick car!

First, do the exhaust. Get all your exhaust stuff first and then tune the car. Check my thread in my signature for quad exhaust. It is--by far--the best thing I've done to the car. I am looking to get CDM Motorsports shorty headers for my car as well, but that's looking like a long shot right now(CA as well). Combined with the ECU tune, I gained around 30 HP and 31 TQ on the dyno. Here's the video:

As for the lowering, if you don't wanna be super low, get Eibach springs along with Bilstein shocks/struts. It was amazing when I did it to my CLK500 and along with the lightweight Forgestar F14 wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the suspension was/is a dream. I am going to get an H&R rear sway bar in the coming weeks/months to complete the suspension setup.

I also have an AF-1 carbon wing--really completes the rear end of the car. It is bigger than the Black Series wing and sets the car off nicely.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:39 AM

'07 CLK550
thanks for the reply guys. KB, your car looks and sounds great! i was hoping to do the tuning first, but perhaps now I'll wait until i finish my exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
kb24forlife24 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Just make sure you don't install headers without your tune. Everything else on the exhaust can be done before the tune.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:47 AM

'07 CLK550
how much do those forgestar weigh?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
I believe my front wheels are 18-19 LBS (18x8.5 ET28) and my rears should be around 20 LBS (18x9.5 ET33).
Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
clk and e coupe
let us know if you have need help with the headers and other mods on your car