CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Keyless Go Operational Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Go Operational Question

I have an '04 CLK with Keyless-Go. No problem unlocking and starting, but I understand the Smartkeys are unique and the car can sense the seat/wheel/mirror setting for each key.

This doesn't seem to work.

I have the features already set for key dependent operation.

Am I correct in expecting that when one Smartkey or the other is brought into the car, adjustment to the appropriate seat position should occur automatically?

Perhaps putting it another way, how do I program the Keyless Go Smartkey to a particular seat memory?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by paulmj
I have an '04 CLK with Keyless-Go. No problem unlocking and starting, but I understand the Smartkeys are unique and the car can sense the seat/wheel/mirror setting for each key.

This doesn't seem to work.

I have the features already set for key dependent operation.

Am I correct in expecting that when one Smartkey or the other is brought into the car, adjustment to the appropriate seat position should occur automatically?

Perhaps putting it another way, how do I program the Keyless Go Smartkey to a particular seat memory?
That's not how it works. And the seat adjustments are never made automatically, seat movement always requires an action by a person (e.g. pushing the memory button) while any movement occurs.

The seat memories can be dependent on the key in the car, meaning with one key in the car, the three memory settings are saved; then with a different key, three more settings are saved.

-s-
Old 07-06-2004, 07:14 PM

I can see what you're saying. I re-read this portion of the owner's manual, and while not very clear, I see where it could be as you describe it.

I guess the bottom line is that regardless of which key you have, you still have to press the button on the door.

The good news is that this appeared to be the only "defect" in the car after 5 weeks and 2500 miles. Thus, no defects, what I would expect from MB!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM

That's not how it works. And the seat adjustments are never made automatically, seat movement always requires an action by a person (e.g. pushing the memory button) while any movement occurs.
I might have to disagree with you here scorchie. Either that or I am mis-interpreting paulmj's question. When I switch between keyless go and regular use of the key, seats, mirrors, and steering wheel all switch back automatically to whatever number it is on. I do not have to manually push any buttons. For keyless go, it should act as a "third key" so to speak, meaning it has it's own three memory settings. So in reality, there should be 12 different settings (6 for two keys, and 6 for two keyless go) and whatever you are using it should adjust to that setting automatically, or so mine does anyways.
Maybe I am mis reading your question but I took it as...for example, if a key was used and later you came back with keyless go and started the car, the settings should automatically move to your keyless go settings...am I correct here? Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:18 PM

No, that wasn't my question.

I was lead to believe (by the MB salesman, naturally!) that when key #1 got into the car the seats would automatically adjust to the pre-set settings for key #1. Likewise for key #2.

In other words, with a Keyless Go Smartkey, we would never have to press the seat setting on the door once it was set-up and somehow matched to the key. When I get in the car, the seat adjusts for me; when my wife gets in with her key, the seat adjusts for her.

I am starting to conclude this was an overstatement, it just doesn't happen that way.